Old Pictures

Eric

48 minutes ago, railfancwb said:

Once upon a time Western Electric had a major manufacturing plant in Nashville. Long time gone now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

In the 50's Western Electric was the 11th largest manufacturing Co. in the U.S., owned by AT&T.

The switchboard in the operator picture is Western Electric product.

Edited by pipedreams

Mammy's Cupboard, Route 61, Natchez, Mississippi. Built in 1940 as a resturant and gas station, it is a unique example of early 20th century vernacular roadside architecture, photograped by John Margolies, 1979. The woman's skirt holds a dining room and a gift shop. The skirt is made out of bricks, and the earrings are horseshoes. Mammy's Cupboard has been through several renovations, the exterior has been repaired and the interior refurbished.

image.png.37ea5364d6b37cf779737a73aef16eb5.png

• Like 6

Tientsin, China, under Japanese occupation: Typical Mukden Street scene. Note the complete absence of automobiles.  Also note the four-wheeled buggy, known as “droshky,” in the foreground. The big building in background is a Russian-controlled bank, reflecting the strong Russian presence.  Early 1930s.

bq-5c95667dd127f.jpeg

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Once upon a time Western Electric had a major manufacturing plant in Nashville. Long time gone now.

I think this is the site and building which once housed the Nashville Western Electric facility. Now part of The University of Tennessee medical school system.

6fcb2889fa9d45769f5811434b365cdd.jpg

My ability to relate Google Earth to roads I have traveled leaves something to be desired.

• Like 2