Old Pictures

Eric

1 minute ago, pipedreams said:

Pin boys early 1900's

image.thumb.png.b388373cde6e80a12caf40d5ffe21b4d.png

About the time I was in high school, this was ending.  Some of my friends were Pin Boys.  The ones that had many, many hours resetting pins had large knuckles from doing it.

Edited by janice6
  • Like 2

Inside the White House, 1950.

In 1948 architectural and engineering investigations deemed the White House unsafe for occupancy. President Harry S. Truman, his family, and the entire staff were relocated across the street. Over a period of three years the White House was completely gutted, expanded, and rebuilt.

image.png.55e6ef49567338927499dddfba854564.png

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

The Laxey Wheel on the Isle of Man, built in 1854 to pump water from the Glen Mooar part of the Great Laxey Mines industrial complex. It is the largest working waterwheel in the world, with a diameter of 72-feet 6-inches. Designed by Robert Casement, it was named "Lady Isabella" after the wife of Lieutenant Governor Charles Hope, who was the island's governor at that time.

image.png.023e31301e92b628969acf6ae41a5f77.png

• Like 1

It really saddens me that they didn't preserve either the Saratoga (as the oldest surviving carrier) and/or the Enterprise (as the war's most decorated carrier) as museum ships.  They would have truly been something to see, given they played such a big part at the beginning of the pacific war and in the development of carrier aviation.

-Pat

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Inside the White House, 1950.
In 1948 architectural and engineering investigations deemed the White House unsafe for occupancy. President Harry S. Truman, his family, and the entire staff were relocated across the street. Over a period of three years the White House was completely gutted, expanded, and rebuilt.
image.png.55e6ef49567338927499dddfba854564.png

I understand that the stone walls were left untouched, as masons could no longer make 1/16” joints.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 2