Trains

Eric

The rolling of heavily loaded wheels on rails creates stress cracks in the rail head. If left along such cracks can lead to failures as shown earlier in this thread. Specialty companies travel the nation grinding rail tops to remove such cracks. 

384A04AB-B923-4785-B05E-6447EDE8B6D0.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, Dric902 said:

And burning Ceracote

I assume you meant Creosote.  If so, that a smell I have trouble dealing with. 

It goes back to one of my very early memories, when I was playing and from somewhere,m I got a blob of soft Tar.  I played with it like clay and finally molded it into a mask over my face.  I didn't like it, at all but I can't explain why. 

Now, to this day, the smell of Tar and many substances like it (even Creosote) are most repelling to me.  I don't know why, but that's how it effects me.  So if I smelled burning Creosote I would get out of there in a hurry.

I guess it's just another one of those bizarre ways certain things effect us. Many other petroleum substances don't bother me.

• Like 1

When massive stock yards in Chicago and other large cities dominated meat processing, much of the meat traveled “on the hoof” in railroad cars from the farms and ranches. 

Federal regulations required that the livestock be frequently removed from the stock cars (aka cattle cars) and allowed to eat and drink water and walk around a bit. 

Moving the livestock off the train, into the pens, and back onto the trains required stock handlers often called drovers. These people traveled with the train in cars known as drovers cabooses. 

2B0C6018-EEA2-4583-9634-10CF1D2A148B.jpeg

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
4 hours ago, pipedreams said:

8664b21c9931187f.png?1585676012

A brief history of logging operations. In this scene, Elk River Coal & Lumber Company 3-truck, 65-ton Shay #19 fords the Lilly Fork in Clay County, West Virginia with five loads of logs on the late afternoon of November 24, 1961. Tom Sink photo. https://american-rails.com/logging.htm

Try fording that creek using a diesel locomotive. 

• Like 2