Trains

Eric

Just now, Dric902 said:

I know less than nothing about toy trains

In this case I don't either.  It just seemed to me that that load was being pulled up a shallow grade if with one engine the friction on the drive wheels  would be severely challenged by the load.

After I commented I saw the subsequent post of 8 engines.  Thanks both of you.

6 minutes ago, janice6 said:

In this case I don't either.  It just seemed to me that that load was being pulled up a shallow grade if with one engine the friction on the drive wheels  would be severely challenged by the load.

After I commented I saw the subsequent post of 8 engines.  Thanks both of you.

Oh shoot, you’re right. I didn’t see that

• Thanks 1

I run real 230 car trains with three

No doubt the continuous curvature on the model creates a lot of drag.

There are periodic efforts by model railroaders to establish train length records for the
Guinness World Records. From what I’ve read there is a massive amount of work behind the scenes tuning the locomotive(s) and cars and track.

With today’s electronic control systems - DCC and others - the job may be easier.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, railfancwb said:

No doubt the continuous curvature on the model creates a lot of drag.

There are periodic efforts by model railroaders to establish train length records for the
Guinness World Records. From what I’ve read there is a massive amount of work behind the scenes tuning the locomotive(s) and cars and track.

With today’s electronic control systems - DCC and others - the job may be easier.

For a lot of years, the max for us was 150 cars. More than that and you needed approval.

some track has weight limits, most of the welded mainlines don’t 

we are regularly over 200 now with 12,000 to 13,000 feet of length (length has a weight all its own)

18,000 + tons is not uncommon. I’ve personally had 23,000 tons

239 cars is my record

its a joke now that the first one to 250 cars wins.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

For a lot of years, the max for us was 150 cars. More than that and you needed approval.
some track has weight limits, most of the welded mainlines don’t 
we are regularly over 200 now with 12,000 to 13,000 feet of length (length has a weight all its own)
18,000 + tons is not uncommon. I’ve personally had 23,000 tons
239 cars is my record
its a joke now that the first one to 250 cars wins.

How far back does distributed power have to be to avoid breaking couplers?

Model railroaders - especially those using Lionel - have to avoid putting empty flat cars etc immediately behind the locomotive to avoid having them pulled off the track by the locomotive and the wait of the rest of the train. This is because of the tiny curves. Is this a problem for prototype railroads?

• Like 1

6 hours ago, railfancwb said:

How far back does distributed power have to be to avoid breaking couplers?

Model railroaders - especially those using Lionel - have to avoid putting empty flat cars etc immediately behind the locomotive to avoid having them pulled off the track by the locomotive and the wait of the rest of the train. This is because of the tiny curves. Is this a problem for prototype railroads?

I, and most engineers I know, would rather have it on the rear of the train. When it is in the middle third (where they put it) you can’t feel what is going on behind the remote power. 
if it’s dragging, running out, or running in. You have to be a lot more gradual with applying power and plan farther ahead to stop. You’ve got to watch the screen pretty closely to see what it’s doing behind you, I’ve had the lead consist in Dynamic Brake and looked to see the remote in notch 8. There can be delays in reaction, communication problems, air brake issues.

it works, but it keeps you busy

• Like 1