Trains

Eric

National, International travel, and communications, were slower and less current in the era of the railroad, but that made it a simpler time for people.  It meant you had time to digest what you were being told.

The immediate communications and very fast travel now, means we are inundated with garbage about every little thing going on in the world.  And a good portion of our citizens don't seem to be able to sort out what's relevant and what's hype.

Each night I see scrolling headlines from the BBC, and I'm supposed to feel responsible for some guy in Indonesia having to battle a wild jungle animal for his supper. 

It's BS, when there is nothing you can do, and it's an everyday occurrence in third world countries.  Yet we, Americans, are supposed to feel responsible for everything that happens to anyone anywhere in the world. 

The world is what it is.  I have no control over most of it, just like I have no control over what the planet Earth is going to do to me tomorrow. 

Guilt is the mechanism used to make us do things for and against peoples we know, and peoples we don't know and have little knowledge of.  Guilt and money are the politician's tools to push people to do what furthers their control over others. 

Politicans really don't give a crap for you or me and even less for people elsewhere around the world.  These people are just used as an excuse to skim money and power.

Empathy is fine, but it doesn't give you the right to take over other people's lives.

Edited by janice6
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 2

On 9/18/2019 at 2:45 PM, Eric said:

12801165_10208584889480139_7442971130513376015_n.jpg

Hard work used to be an admirable quality in every man.  Now the admiration is reserved for those who take advantage of others.

That man above is what made this country.  The man that scorns work is what will be the demise of this country.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Hear, hear, sir.,

In the age before the telephone, one wrote letters and that activity was a slow, thoughtful process and I suggest that few ever sent their first drafts along.

Second thoughts, consideration and above all courtesy went through the mail.

Even in the days of the telephone, one did not make a long distance call on a whim, out of anger or in the heat of emotion.  Long distance was expensive and one made the most of the minutes to conduct business, not keen and wail over some perceived slight.  If you called long distance, it had better be important.

Young'uns would be amazed and how much business was accomplished in weeks and months rather than hours.

This is why I like trains.

One had plenty of time to relax, ponder, think about things and make if not good decisions, then at least  informed decisions.

Edited by tous
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 2