Trains

Eric

Just now, railfancwb said:

My home town was too small and in a safe Republican District. So I got to see Nixon and shake his hand.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

He's looking like quite the amateur compared to the Clintons and Obama. In fact, those two make the Chicago Machine look pale in comparison.

• Like 2

He's looking like quite the amateur compared to the Clintons and Obama. In fact, those two make the Chicago Machine look pale in comparison.

Arguably more honorable than any of his Democrat successors. Had he not resigned, I now suspect he would not have been removed from office by the impeachment process.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• Administrators
9 minutes ago, railfancwb said:

When and where? Any injuries?

It is the 2013 CSX Derailment at CP 188 in Fonda, NY. Two crewmen received minor injuries. Two trains were involved.

https://www.timesunion.com/local/article/Report-details-June-27-derailment-near-Fonda-4784619.php

http://www.rrpicturearchives.net/archiveThumbs.aspx?id=92902

CSXQ364wreckd.jpg.f3e23fd73f39fb583083591a593a57ff.jpg

• Like 1
  • Sad 2

There is a stretch of a major highway in MN that runs between my old home town and my residence.  It ran parallel with one of the major rail lines through my state.

We made considerable trips on that highway to visit my wife's and then my own parents.

Every time I bought a new car in my home town, as I was driving back there I would watch the rail lines paralleling the highway, wondering if one of those new car trains I was pacing was carrying my new car.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, railfancwb said:

4781c50e3cda3a84859898927a81cd5a.jpg

Supposedly this is on Canadian National. So far haven’t been able to learn anything about that locomotive. Can anyone identify it?

https://pressfrom.info/ca/news/technology/-139172-why-canadian-national-railway-tsx-cnr-is-still-1-of-the-best-long-term-stocks.html

The picture has been flipped right to left, but it's the same picture.

This is all I could come up with.

Edited by janice6

Our dorm-house in Texas had tracks in the backyard,  where you could hit the train from the back door with an empty beer can.

It was unacceptable for a month, and then, somehow, became a comfort.  Even all night long.

You could hear the whistle from years away.  You knew it was coming.

The second-worse was when they'd put on the brakes and all the couplings would collide together, creating a rumbling boom that would wake you up.

The first-worst was when they'd start going again.

You could hear it start from miles away.  The gradually growing boom of all the empty car couplings taking up, and when it hit the house.....   the windows would break.  It would knock you out of bed.

• Like 3

One time,  an ancient pufferbelly was going to its retirement in a museum, right behind us.  Don't remember its name, and cameras, I guess, hadn't been invented yet.

But we waited, and got drunk, so we could go "woooooo!" as it went passed.

The sound and smoke and verberation and smell was very memorable.

Our dorm-house in Texas had tracks in the backyard,  where you could hit the train from the back door with an empty beer can.
It was unacceptable for a month, and then, somehow, became a comfort.  Even all night long.
You could hear the whistle from years away.  You knew it was coming.
The second-worse was when they'd put on the brakes and all the couplings would collide together, creating a rumbling boom that would wake you up.
The first-worst was when they'd start going again.
You could hear it start from miles away.  The gradually growing boom of all the empty car couplings taking up, and when it hit the house.....   the windows would break.  It would knock you out of bed.

To start a long train with a steam locomotive, the train would be backed up in necessary to create slack. Thus the locomotive had to start only one car moving at a time.

To start a long train with a diesel locomotive, the train would be eased forward to remove slack. This minimized the risk of jerking the train in two.

A steam locomotive could pull a train it couldn’t start. A diesel locomotive could start a train it couldn’t pull.

Passenger trains were eased forward to remove slack regardless of the locomotive type.