Trains

Eric

14 hours ago, Huaco Kid said:

Many times,  we'd see the train going past, and a red-hot meteorite would shoot off and bounce across the field or back yards,  creating a fire every time it ricocheted off the ground. 

There is a rail line through the grassy lowlands of the Minnesota river and every so often a passing train will start the whole short valley thing on fire.  Kind of an annual event.

1 hour ago, railfancwb said:

To start a long train with a steam locomotive, the train would be backed up in necessary to create slack. Thus the locomotive had to start only one car moving at a time.

To start a long train with a diesel locomotive, the train would be eased forward to remove slack. This minimized the risk of jerking the train in two.

A steam locomotive could pull a train it couldn’t start. A diesel locomotive could start a train it couldn’t pull.

Passenger trains were eased forward to remove slack regardless of the locomotive type.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You would be surprised.

I've taken slack downhill to get started (but you have to do it right)

I've plugged engines when flat switching down a lead (again, you have to do it right)

kicked cars, dropped cars, drifted cars

its amazing sometimes how loud slack can be, or how quiet a rolling car can be.

Edited by Dric902
  • Like 2

ELKHART, Ind. -- The Elkhart County Homicide Unit is investigating after a teenager was found dead early Saturday morning. 

Elkhart Police say officers were dispatched to the 900 block of Wagner Ave. in regards to a subject on the railroad tracks around 12:25 a.m. 

When officers arrived, they found a male victim with multiple gunshot wounds. 

The victim has been identified as 16-year-old Jaiden Cooper. Police say he was pronounced dead at the scene. 

Prayers for the brothers who ran over the body and called it in

• Like 1
  • Sad 2

18 hours ago, Eric said:

614194750_3cbba17b77_z.jpg

This one is most iconic to me.

I visited Skokie Illinois many times as a child and stayed with my uncle who was a train enthusiast. He had every train mag ever printed. I would spend hours just gazing at pictures. I loved trains.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, railfancwb said:

Union Pacific, along with Southern Pacific it absorbed, still has a few rotaries on the active roster.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rotaries trigger fascination and imagination in those of us that imagine seeing them in mountain passes working hard.

• Like 1

Block from my wife's childhood home, the major rail tracks crossed a 4 lane freeway at road level.  High speed trains depended on signals for safety.  A few times the signals didn't work.  Cars on freeway can't compete with fast train.

She tells of the time when a gas tanker was on the tracks and the signal didn't work.  She could hear the driver screaming for a long time while the tanker burned.