Trains

Eric

"Santa Fe, All the way."

Believe at least one of those Alco PA locomotives still survives... Some were much traveled after they left the Santa Fe, spending time in Mexico and later back in the states. Maybe on Delaware and Hudson?

f62131158dc0d02d6d0ef898154d4946.jpg

This photo is from the Streamliners event in Spencer NC a few years ago. The loco was being restored to operating condition.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 4

Block from my wife's childhood home, the major rail tracks crossed a 4 lane freeway at road level.  High speed trains depended on signals for safety.  A few times the signals didn't work.  Cars on freeway can't compete with fast train.
She tells of the time when a gas tanker was on the tracks and the signal didn't work.  She could hear the driver screaming for a long time while the tanker burned.

And probably for a long time after that day.

• Sad 1

4 minutes ago, railfancwb said:

And probably for a long time after that day.

Oddly enough, she misses the sounds of the trains going down the tracks and the whistle sounding in the distance.

Our bedroom is in the basement and cut off from the outside, so I put a video camera of the driveway on the TV in the bedroom along with an outside microphone so now she can lay in bed and hear the train sounds and whistles at night, she missed from her childhood.