Random Posting

Eric

4 hours ago, pipedreams said:

a08b00bc1154aa48.png

I have and regularly use the last tool, a 3/8" Ratchet drive, I know came from my father's toolbox when he first came to my hometown around the early 1940's.  He owned and ran a Gas station, a GMC heavy truck dealership, and had a automobile repair business,  It's an irreplaceable tool to me.  

An interesting tidbit is that, I learned absolutely nothing, not one wit about car repair and maintenance from him.  He never mentioned one thing about this to me.  I had to learn it on my own when I got married.  I burned out the engine on a '46 Chrysler when it ran out of oil.  I didn't even know you were suppose to change the oil.  All I ever heard was, "Fill 'her with gas and check the oil".  

He taught me many thing for which I will be eternally grateful, car repair was not one of them.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Dric902 said:

Blood and flood are not like food, 
Nor is mould like should and would. 
Viscous, viscount, load and broad, 
Toward, to forward, to reward. 
And your pronunciation’s OK 
When you correctly say croquet, 
Rounded, wounded, grieve and sieve, 
Friend and fiend, alive and live.

I'm a light fingered typist and besides my omissions when I miss a letter in a word the spell checker makes one up for it.

I am quite surprised and just how many words in the English language are totally different by changing just one letter in them.

Then of course I'm furious when the spell checker seems to demand an English spelling of the word and I insist on the American spelling.

Long ago, a popular Russian comedian here used to have an act based on how difficult our language was.  His popular saying was, 'Does your mouth hurt when you say that?".

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, pipedreams said:

musta bin one helluva weekend

image.png.7ca87e3ad016c952ef6cbb9eb889c42b.png

Inlaws had a house where they added a fireplace after the house was built.  But they got the location wrong and the chimney was in the wrong place (rafter right above it).  So the bricklayer somehow managed to angle the chimney to hit through the rafters perfectly.

Wasn't discovered until the house was taken over by the original owners' granddaughter who discovered it during a remodel.

• Like 1

• Eric changed the title to BookFace
  • Eric locked this topic
  • Eric pinned this topic
  • Eric unpinned and unlocked this topic