Random Posting

Eric

You can get mercury thermometers on the webz, but not in the US.

I bought a a bunch a while back, while I still can.

Also look into "scientific" or industrial applications, but they can be very expensive. I got some of them too.
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, LostinTexas said:

That sucks. Top down, well, that little G sting of a Bimini.

Not driving it to work. At least the inside is stripped. No carpet, rear seat or anything else that water can damage. 

• Like 3

58 minutes ago, ChuteTheMall said:

8p3q35.jpg

How many millions died in World War I? Did the Versailles treaty which ended this war lead to World War II? Has World War I finally ceased echoing or is the world still trying to get past it?

• Like 3

The Treaty of Frankfurt caused the harshness of the Treaty of Versailles. It can be argued that the Germans (Prussians) brought it on themselves. This cycle goes back a long way in Europe. War, treaty, reparations, retaliation, repeat. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

A world at war is normal, what we've seen in the last 70+ years of relative peace is an anomaly. It was dearly bought, and too easily thrown away.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

17 hours ago, Huaco Kid said:

You can get mercury thermometers on the webz, but not in the US.

I bought a a bunch a while back, while I still can.

Also look into "scientific" or industrial applications, but they can be very expensive. I got some of them too.

STP (standard temperature and pressure) is still, to my  knowledge, based on thermometers and barometers that use mercury as the sampling substance.

If they replace such with a similar substance, that makes hundreds of years of sampling and recording invalid.

Gallium, another metal that is liquid at room temperature (measured with a mercury thermometer) comes to mind as a possible substitute, but gallium's melting point is around 85F (29C) degrees, thus it is solid at temperatures below that.  It has a high boiling point, but I doubt that many people need a thermometer that measures temperatures around 2400F (4500C) degrees.

A suitable alloy may make the alloyed gallium useful -- or not.

Gallium is not very toxic as a gas, liquid or a solid.

I have held gallium in my hands and watched it melt, so it is not a good material for M & Ms.  :biggrin:

How about, Don't eat the mercury from the thermometer!

Don't heat it until it boils and breathe in the resulting gas!

:miff:

Rather than ban mercury, let's ban stupid.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1