Random Posting

Eric

21 minutes ago, pipedreams said:

cooking-tips-from-culinary-students-coverimage.jpg.7cd8a8f1732a7ea4ad568e1278b82722.jpg

A couple days ago, I took the cap off of a bottle in the kitchen and fumbled / dropped it.

But my magnificent Fleury-like reflexes automatically kicked in, and I one-handed bobbled it, in mid-air, several times, like Bruce Lee on meth!!

Right as I, like lightning, grabbed and caught it at waist level,  I jammed my fingertip into the edge of the counter and bent my fingernail back, 90°, halfway down.

Now I'll have to enjoy the pain, at work,  for the next week or two.

• Like 2

22 hours ago, pipedreams said:

Dang that word was buried in a far deep corner of my brain.  Does it matter if it has one or two lines under the similarity sign or tilde ?  Geometry is only a bit of fog in the back of my mind now days.

Yes.

One line under the squiggly means  'approximately equal'.  A concept that I have never been happy with.  Either things are equal or they are not, but the concept is useful.

Two lines under the squiggly means that the expressions on either side are isomorphic (do not get me into describing isomorphic structures  :biggrin: ) or a less-used symbol of congruence.

And equal sign with a diagonal slash through it means 'not equal.'

I have oft considered that the hardest parts of mathematics beyond arithmetic are not the concepts, but the nomenclature.

Once we get beyond +, -, /, x, there are gangs of unfamiliar symbols waiting to confuse us

Mathematics is just a set  of clearly-defined rules.

Follow the rules and you cannot go wrong -- once you understand what the 26 bazillion symbols mean.

:biggrin:

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 1

21 minutes ago, tous said:

Yes.

One line under the squiggly means  'approximately equal'.  A concept that I have never been happy with.  Either things are equal or they are not, but the concept is useful.

Two lines under the squiggly means that the expressions on either side are isomorphic (do not get me into describing isomorphic structures  :biggrin: ) or a less-used symbol of congruence.

And equal sign with a diagonal slash through it means 'not equal.'

I have oft considered that the hardest part of mathematics beyond arithmetic are not the concepts, but the nomenclature.

Once we get beyond +, -, /, x, there are gangs of unfamiliar symbols waiting to confuse us

Mathematics is just a set  of clearly-defined rules.

Follow the rules and you cannot go wrong -- once you understand what the 26 bazillion symbols mean.

:biggrin:

Yeah, you can use any symbols you wish. We just always use x, y, z, X, Y, Z

• Like 1

In FORTRAN66, the variables i, j, k and l were assigned as signed integers automatically, usually they were used as incrementors in a loop.

This was sometimes forgotten and the forgetter came to woe.

:599c64bfb50b0_wavey1:

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, minervadoe said:

The late show.  Was it a school night? 

The Tonight Show was only on during school nights.

I remember seeing that at the time as well.

It must have been in the mid-1960s -- I don't recall when they began to broadcast in color, but it was likely around 1965-67.

I was in high school by then and I could stay up as late as I wanted.

janice is older than I am.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, railfancwb said:

Yeah, you can use any symbols you wish. We just always use x, y, z, X, Y, Z

Convention made some letters variables and some constants. There are the Absolutes and the symbol.  So many "conventions".

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Huaco Kid said:

A couple days ago, I took the cap off of a bottle in the kitchen and fumbled / dropped it.

But my magnificent Fleury-like reflexes automatically kicked in, and I one-handed bobbled it, in mid-air, several times, like Bruce Lee on meth!!

Right as I, like lightning, grabbed and caught it at waist level,  I jammed my fingertip into the edge of the counter and bent my fingernail back, 90°, halfway down.

Now I'll have to enjoy the pain, at work,  for the next week or two.

No joy comes without some pain.  Sometimes the pain makes it worth it.  Just a "little pain", of course.

3 hours ago, pipedreams said:

cooking-tips-from-culinary-students-coverimage.jpg.7cd8a8f1732a7ea4ad568e1278b82722.jpg

I once dropped a 900 degree soldering iron.  I caught it by the element. 

Of course, at the time I new some blisters were going to be the reward for a foolish act. 

However, the brown singed skin was the only surprising result without the penalty. 

I did learn though!  I have since dropped a loaded gun and watched it on the way to the concrete but made sure the muzzle was not pointed at me.  Just a little ding and no repercussion,  Lucky me!

It's interesting that the instantaneous comprehension of the object and it's threat to me determines whether to catch it or not.  I'm old, but I'm very quick.

A nothing note:  I am amazed at the number of times I have dropped a medication pill and have had it land on edge and just stay there.  Statistics fail for the many times this has happened to me.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, janice6 said:

I did learn though!  I have since dropped a loaded gun and watched it on the way to the concrete but made sure the muzzle was not pointed at me.  Just a little ding and no repercussion,  Lucky me!

Many, many, moons ago (Texas),  my wife carried a .38 S&W snubby in her purse.

I was watching TV,  and heard her proclaim, "It's gone."

"huh.  What's gone?"

She had pulled the gun out of her purse,  and the hammer was broken off.

Without asking any questions,  I wondered how close it had been for her,  or someone else.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Huaco Kid said:

I did a great job of filing it down and polishing it up.

Now it's a DAO pocket gun.

For the single/double action ones with hammer horns ground off, a trick is to squeeze the trigger enough to allow a thumb to grab the top/front edge of the hammer. Then cock the hammer as usual for a single action experience. 

• Like 2