Beautiful Cars & Trucks

Eric

My parents’ first new car was ‘39 Pontiac. From that time forward the next several decades they and their children had only Pontiacs until near the end of our GM era when a few Oldsmobiles snuck in.

Two brands GM dropped on the way through bankruptcy were Pontiac and Oldsmobile.

I also owned Plymouth and Mercury…

• Like 4

11 hours ago, railfancwb said:

My parents’ first new car was ‘39 Pontiac. From that time forward the next several decades they and their children had only Pontiacs until near the end of our GM era when a few Oldsmobiles snuck in.

Two brands GM dropped on the way through bankruptcy were Pontiac and Oldsmobile.

I also owned Plymouth and Mercury…

My father's father liked Mercurys and my Mother's father like Chryslers. My dad's first car was a Model A and later he was mostly  a Ford guy but in 66 he bought a beautiful Mercury Comet 2 door hardtop fastback, light metallic blue with a white interior. These days people have started calling Mercedes Benz "Merc's" for short, and that just seems wrong to me.

In 72 my dad bought a Dodge dart, and my brother, who is a die hard MOPAR guy, (Mopar or NO car) still has that 72 Dart today, but a Hi-Po 360 has replaced the original 318.

• Like 2

• Administrators
2 minutes ago, DAKA said:

Looks like Brooklyn or Queens...But YA parked in front of a hydrant !!

Yeah, that is pretty dangerous. If that hydrant were to spring a leak, that Fiat would rust away completely in minutes.

• Haha 5

3 minutes ago, Eric said:

I don't know, but it suits that body nicely.

It does, but I cannot imagine a finish like that in pre-World War Two. economically devastated Germany of the mid 1930s.

Even today, that color scheme seems a bit too bold for Mercedes.

:599c64bfb50b0_wavey1:

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, Eric said:

Yeah, that is pretty dangerous. If that hydrant were to spring a leak, that Fiat would rust away completely in minutes.

The X1/9 was stiff competition with the MGs of the time for the biggest, ugliest front bumper ever devised. :upeyes:

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

• Administrators
2 minutes ago, tous said:

The X1/9 was stiff competition with the MGs of the time for the biggest, ugliest front bumper ever devised. :upeyes:

Brit car companies were contemptuous of the American 5mph bumper law and they didn't waste much time or creativity accommodating it. 

• Like 5

1 hour ago, tous said:

Back in my car days, I bought a lotus Elan from the salvage lot with a Styrofoam front bumper.  Hmmmmmmmmmm.

• Like 3

9 hours ago, Borg warner said:

That looks like a 1970 one of my favorite year Firebirds but if that one was mine, I'd remove the vinyl top and paint it a different color.

1970ramair.jpg

So many had vinyl tops back then..

• Like 1

• Administrators
9 minutes ago, tous said:

I am not a Ferrari fan, but I do admire much of Ghia's coachwork.

Don't much admire lime green paint.

I’m going to turn you into a fan of green cars yet. :greensupergrin:

• Like 1
  • Haha 3