Is the following statement true?

Borg warner

Sometimes yes, sometimes no.

Here's the statement:

In the book, All the King's Men, Robert Penn Warren wrote, “The Friend of Your Youth is the only friend you will ever have, for he does not really see you. He sees in his mind a face that does not exist anymore..."

I have several lifelong friends that I've known since Junior high and high school and for that reason I would disagree with that statement. I think that that people who knew me when I was young and still know me today and have known me through out my life not only see me as I once was but at the same time they see me as I am today.

But I found an exception to this, I recently unexpectedly heard from one of my close friend's ex-wives who's the same age as I am and the same age as all the rest of the people that I'm still in touch with (Mid-70's)  but I haven't heard from her since back when we were all in our late 20's and I still can't picture her in my mind any way but as she was then. She's happily remarried and has a great outlook on life and has the same sunny disposition she always had but when she sent me a recent picture of herself it just did not compute that she could be that old, even though I'm that old, too.

And also, a couple times when I talked to her on the phone she doesn't have the same voice she used to have. She has the voice of an old granny! And I've noticed the same change in my own voice over the past few years and there's nothing you can do about it, it's just part of the aging process. My voice is different but my thoughts are the same.
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, Borg warner said:
Sometimes yes, sometimes no.

Here's the statement:

In the book, All the King's Men, Robert Penn Warren wrote, “The Friend of Your Youth is the only friend you will ever have, for he does not really see you. He sees in his mind a face that does not exist anymore..."

I have several lifelong friends that I've known since Junior high and high school and for that reason I would disagree with that statement. I think that that people who knew me when I was young and still know me today and have known me through out my life not only see me as I once was but at the same time they see me as I am today.

But I found an exception to this, I recently unexpectedly heard from one of my close friend's ex-wives who's the same age as I am and the same age as all the rest of the people that I'm still in touch with (Mid-70's)  but I haven't heard from her since back when we were all in our late 20's and I still can't picture her in my mind any way but as she was then. She's happily remarried and has a great outlook on life and has the same sunny disposition she always had but when she sent me a recent picture of herself it just did not compute that she could be that old, even though I'm that old, too.

And also, a couple times when I talked to her on the phone she doesn't have the same voice she used to have. She has the voice of an old granny! And I've noticed the same change in my own voice over the past few years and there's nothing you can do about it, it's just part of the aging process. My voice is different but my thoughts are the same.

I had been bothered for most of my life about how  boisterous I was to a neighbor girl I knew from 6 years old till highschool.  I made a lunch date with her recently to apologize for my earlier behaviour.  I also took my wife along.

She said I may not recognize her due to her age.  I told her I looked her up on facebook and saw her picture...

Yes, we all change with time.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Borg warner said:

“The Friend of Your Youth is the only friend you will ever have, for he does not really see you. He sees in his mind a face that does not exist anymore..."

I've met people throughout my life.  But the few true friends that I seem to have, are people that I knew in my youth.  I'm not sure what they see.  But I do feel like they are more willing to ignore the character flaws that keep people I have met more recently holding me at arms length in a sort of agreed upon 'acquaintanceship.'  And in return, I see the character flaws of recent acquaintances and decide not to invite them over for dinner.  While I ignore and welcome the flaws of my old friends.

As James Bond said 'That's detente, comrade.'

• Like 1

3 hours ago, janice6 said:

I had been bothered for most of my life about how  boisterous I was to a neighbor girl I knew from 6 years old till highschool.  I made a lunch date with her recently to apologize for my earlier behaviour.  I also took my wife along.

She said I may not recognize her due to her age.  I told her I looked her up on facebook and saw her picture...

Yes, we all change with time.

Looking at my avatar, you'd NEVER recognize me now...that was 67 years ago   I was SLIM, GOOD LOOKING, HAD HAIR and a BRAND NEW 57 Chev Convertible   :headscratch:  

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, DAKA said:

Looking at my avatar, you'd NEVER recognize me now...that was 67 years ago   I was SLIM, GOOD LOOKING, HAD HAIR and a BRAND NEW 57 Chev Convertible   :headscratch:  

Looking at MY avatar you'd never recognize me now that I'm older. But seriously, back in 1973 I was slim, good looking and had LOTS of hair, a really nice dog, and drove a 66 VW Bug.

%a young man and his dog8.JPG

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

I’m in my 40s and the majority of friends I keep in close touch with I attended Elementary school with. As a matter of fact, we’re planning a trip in April with a few coming in from out of state. 

My “newest” friends (not acquaintances) are folks I’ve know for nearly 15 years. That said, while I’m certainly not a shut-in, I’m not super social either. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, minderasr said:

All of my friends either died or moved away.  I'm starting to think I'm the problem.

Not the problem. A survivor.  All those people were weaker than you. The ulitmate revenge is to outlive everyone.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3