Don't you hate it when people post things that make you feel old.

jmohme

21 hours ago, Eric said:

That movie was in the theater for 18 months back when it was released and I never saw it.

It was playing at the local drive-in when it first released.  Girlfriend at the time made me take her to see it.  Even though we were there, I still didn't see it.

13 hours ago, ChuteTheMall said:

Hut-Sut Rawlson on the rillarah and a brawla, brawla sooit.

lol wut?  For a moment I thought I was having a stroke!

• Haha 1

On 1/31/2024 at 4:15 PM, Fog said:

I remember in the early 50's going out of the house in the morning and seeking a new adventure each and every day.  We did many things for the first time without thinking of failure.  We learned to try your best at anything and the exhilaration of succeeding.  

There was no stigma of failure, just a lesson that encouraged you to try it different the next time.  I learned to be self reliant and found that I could do things I didn't realize I was capable of. 

Sure, we did dumb things, but everything was a lesson for us.  I even fell through the Ice on the Mississippi river twice (That's two different years). 

I could swim, I learned how in the Granite quarries surrounding my home town.  So when the ice broke and I went down into the water I looked for a break to get back out.  I never thought of failure and I didn't those two times either.  My parents never knew.

I shinnied out on the ice into the river to get to a dog that fell in and couldn't get out.  I lay on my belly and got out to the edge of the ice, grabbed his paws and got him out.  I never thought I couldn't do this. But I knew that I had to.

Without constant adult supervision, you exposed yourself to situations that might have been a life challenge, but not realizing it, you learned to believe in yourself and your ability to learn from your mistakes.

Early in my grade school days, I would coordinate with my mother and fix the essentials for camping, then I would hug her and get on my bike, go 7 miles out of town to a little park for camping. 

I would putz in the creek under the bridge and later fix my meals, spend the night alone in my sleeping bag and go home sometime on Sunday.  No one in my family thought this was unusual. 

One trip I even came upon a car accident and helped a guy out of the ditch, then talked with him while he died.  The things you learned when you were alone were just experiences to make adult life easier by knowing how to cope.

I never needed counseling to "get through the trauma of death", since I had nothing to do with it but to comfort the guy, I felt no responsibility.  It was just another life lesson. 

Those days you were allowed to live your life and learn to do the hard things that later would mean being an adult.  I wouldn't change my early life for anything or anyone.  It made us what we were today.  Now it's a crap shoot.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

2 hours ago, janice6 said:

I remember in the early 50's going out of the house in the morning and seeking a new adventure each and every day.  We did many things for the first time without thinking of failure.  We learned to try your best at anything and the exhilaration of succeeding.  

There was no stigma of failure, just a lesson that encouraged you to try it different the next time.  I learned to be self reliant and found that I could do things I didn't realize I was capable of. 

Sure, we did dumb things, but everything was a lesson for us.  I even fell through the Ice on the Mississippi river twice (That's two different years). 

I could swim, I learned how in the Granite quarries surrounding my home town.  So when the ice broke and I went down into the water I looked for a break to get back out.  I never thought of failure and I didn't those two times either.  My parents never knew.

I shinnied out on the ice into the river to get to a dog that fell in and couldn't get out.  I lay on my belly and got out to the edge of the ice, grabbed his paws and got him out.  I never thought I couldn't do this. But I knew that I had to.

Without constant adult supervision, you exposed yourself to situations that might have been a life challenge, but not realizing it, you learned to believe in yourself and your ability to learn from your mistakes.

Early in my grade school days, I would coordinate with my mother and fix the essentials for camping, then I would hug her and get on my bike, go 7 miles out of town to a little park for camping. 

I would putz in the creek under the bridge and later fix my meals, spend the night alone in my sleeping bag and go home sometime on Sunday.  No one in my family thought this was unusual. 

One trip I even came upon a car accident and helped a guy out of the ditch, then talked with him while he died.  The things you learned when you were along were just experiences to make adult life easier by knowing how to cope.

I never needed counseling to "get through the trauma of death", since I had nothing to do with it but to comfort the guy, I felt no responsibility.  It was just another life lesson. 

Those days you were allowed to live your life and learn to do the hard things that later would mean being an adult.  I wouldn't change my early life for anything or anyone.  It made us what we were today.  Now it's a crap shoot.

People would say they've made it safer by discouraging that, though the risks are different now and all documented digitally.  Life isn't different than it used to be, we've just become a nation of watching it happen and not doing anything.  I feel like I'm the end of the people who grew up without everything being plugged in.  I was in high school when we got our first computer.  We used to spend all our time outside, summer when it was hot, winter when it was cold.  Probably why I have made a career of driving and running equipment.  Today you go in the neighborhoods and the kids aren't out playing.  There's no piles of bikes in someone's front yard.  People are different now.  Then they get older and do the acting out they should've done when they were kids.  What will be the stories the old people tell the kids 50 years from now?  It was so hard when I was your age, our internet was only 500 meg?  And we had to use it barefoot, drinking vegan shakes, not in the snow because climate change ruined it, and we didn't even go to school cuz covid.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Dukenukem said:

we've just become a nation of watching it happen and not doing anything.

This. A thousand times this.

I have friends my age and younger who think I’m crazy to go out on a road trip with no real plan. It’s called an adventure.

They prefer to sit on a sofa and watch someone else’s adventure on TV. 

• Thanks 2

I don't think a person has really lived till they've had the thought "Dear God, if I don't pull this off I'm dead."

Not in a video game, but real life, the kind of situation that afterwards you say to yourself "I'm never trying that **** again!"

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Fog said:

I don't think a person has really lived till they've had the thought "Dear God, if I don't pull this off I'm dead."

Not in a video game, but real life, the kind of situation that afterwards you say to yourself "I'm never trying that **** again!"

We play a game with our kids. It’s called Guess Where Your Parents Are. We head out on a road trip and send a couple photos. Then they guess what we are up to. I love when the response is WHAT THE HELL ARE YOU DOING?

• Haha 1