Need qualified legal opinions

gwalchmai

This was forwarded to me by a High school nursery school friend, who I'll call Clem.

"In ********* at (local QuickyMart) and we gave the lady 10$ for gas and the lady was post to put only 10 in gas and the pump went over 27$ in gas and we was nice enough to go back in and tell the lady that the pump went over and she told us that if we did not have the money buy the next day that she would call the police on us and I’m just thinking to myself every time I got gas I put the little metal thing up and it stop but this time it did not but i guess  they needed the extra money but I don’t appreciate it."

My opinion is the SemLem gets to eat the overage. Same as if they give me extra-large fries when I ordered small fries. My advice to Clem, as always, was "Take care yo ass, my redneck!"

• Like 1

2 hours ago, gwalchmai said:

This was forwarded to me by a High school nursery school friend, who I'll call Clem.

"In ********* at (local QuickyMart) and we gave the lady 10$ for gas and the lady was post to put only 10 in gas and the pump went over 27$ in gas and we was nice enough to go back in and tell the lady that the pump went over and she told us that if we did not have the money buy the next day that she would call the police on us and I’m just thinking to myself every time I got gas I put the little metal thing up and it stop but this time it did not but i guess  they needed the extra money but I don’t appreciate it."

My opinion is the SemLem gets to eat the overage. Same as if they give me extra-large fries when I ordered small fries. My advice to Clem, as always, was "Take care yo ass, my redneck!"

You gave the lady $10 cash. Not a credit card. Not check. How will she prove anything if she does call the police? Video of register area showing her forgetting to set the cutoff for $10?

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, ChuteTheMall said:

If he went back in to advise the lady that she gave them too much gas, he has just admitted that he owes her money.

Or he's advising her that she's left some product in his car and they need to discuss her rent. :greensupergrin:

The meeting of their minds was that she'd dispense an amount of product for a price, which he paid. 

Now, me, I'd just pay the overage since it was an honest mistake and I'd probably be buying more gas eventually anyway, but maybe he's strapped and needs that extra cash for something important like butts or lottery tickets. Diff'r't Strokes and all. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Batesmotel said:

They screwed up but the court will say you must pay for the gas. You had the ability to stop the pump. 

He wasn't paying attention. Right or wrong, a lot of folks will engage in alternate behaviors like jabberjawing, geegawking, or rubbernecking when they should be monitoring their refueling ops, as you or I would be. I think he'll walk. :)

55 minutes ago, Batesmotel said:

They screwed up but the court will say you must pay for the gas. You had the ability to stop the pump. 

Yeah, after you pay for $10 worth of gas, you pump $10 worth of gas.

You're not entitled to take more just because you can get away with it.

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, ChuteTheMall said:

Yeah, after you pay for $10 worth of gas, you pump $10 worth of gas.

You're not entitled to take more just because you can get away with it.

My impression was he got back in the car and waited for the pump to stop, then realized it had gone over.

26 minutes ago, geeorge said:

Thus ignoring the signs that say not to get back into your car while pumping gas

"Not to be constrained by convention" is considered a virtue in my little town... :greensupergrin:

Seriously, I've heard a lot of folks getting back in their car like that, esp during inclement weather. I've had more than one harried mom galsplain it to me. When I got back on my feet I saw their point.   

5 hours ago, gwalchmai said:

"Not to be constrained by convention" is considered a virtue in my little town... :greensupergrin:

Seriously, I've heard a lot of folks getting back in their car like that, esp during inclement weather. I've had more than one harried mom galsplain it to me. When I got back on my feet I saw their point.   

I've never seen anyone do such a thing. It's not tolerated around here. :car-green:

13 hours ago, gwalchmai said:

Supposedly it is because of a static electric shock when your body grounds the car