How do you keep these full of air?

gwalchmai

OK, I am a firm believer in hand trucks. I used to be a professional, in fact. But why is is that pneumatic tires seem to lose their ability to hold air the smaller they get? ALL the gizmos with small tires slowly leak, and you don't realize it until you need the dang thing. :(

Would increasing the Earth's local gravitational constant help? More nitrogen, perhaps? Maybe fill them with beet juice (don't laugh, it's a thing)?

BTW, I would not buy this particular model...

Font Parallel Audio equipment Tire Circle

• Like 1

2 hours ago, pipedreams said:

If you already have a hand truck replacement wheels of different types and sizes can be found at different stores.  I found just what I wanted at Harbor Freight.  The tires are filled with some sort of closed cell foam  if I remember correctly.  

Ooh! I'll have to check on that. Trouble is I paid $5 for the hand truck (estate sale). Very HQ, with ball bearing wheels, which just leak a bit. Your suggestion sounds great but probably costs more than the hand truck cost new. Maybe tubes are my CRB answer. Of course, any excuse to hit the ChinaMarts is a good one. :)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Hauptmann6 said:

Put tubes in, or slime. Or you know, add air. lol

I use slime in ATV and mower tires but didn't have any luck with the smaller tires like he described. 

1 hour ago, gwalchmai said:

Ooh! I'll have to check on that. Trouble is I paid $5 for the hand truck (estate sale). Very HQ, with ball bearing wheels, which just leak a bit. Your suggestion sounds great but probably costs more than the hand truck cost new. Maybe tubes are my CRB answer. Of course, any excuse to hit the ChinaMarts is a good one. :)

Menards, Lowes and others also have these, they vary in price.  Every summer after a cold winter I would have air up the wheelbarrow, the hosecart and hand dolly.  I tried tubes at first but their not cheap if you can find the size you need, so that why I went to this type. I might not use the wheelbarrow or dolly for some time and every time I ended up spending more time putting air in them than what I need them for.  Once I put these on never had to drag out the air compressor again.

image.png.03232b9f12d299f2d484688b35362ff2.png

• Like 2

The main problem is china. 

I have a machine with 30 year old 10" tubeless tires and wheels on it and they hold air just fine. One has a slow leak, I have to top it off once a year.

Own probably over a hundred more of the same size tires on other tools and machines and they are all made in china and they all leak. We just replace them with the airless ones. After about five years the airless ones rot and we put a new one on, but at least for five years we didn't have to worry about it.

Don't even get me started on trailer tires. I hate chicoms, I hate the businesses that import their crap, I hate the politicians that allow it. 

Traitors all of them.

• Like 7

• Administrators
5 hours ago, Hauptmann6 said:

Put tubes in, or slime. Or you know, add air. lol

If you put stop leak in them, then you have to push the dolly at 35mph for ten minutes, to distribute the stuff and let it set. I'm good for maybe five minutes tops, at that speed. Then my knees start acting up. Maybe if I just did one tire at a time.

• Haha 6

2 hours ago, Eric said:

If you put stop leak in them, then you have to push the dolly at 35mph for ten minutes, to distribute the stuff and let it set. I'm good for maybe five minutes tops, at that speed. Then my knees start acting up. Maybe if I just did one tire at a time.

You don't have a ball hitch on your hand truck? 

In HS I worked for the HON company loading file cabinets onto trailers. I was proud to be the weakest link. Some of those old boys could move some inventory. One guy, Mike, could hold an ax out with his arm extended for we never knew exactly how long, because he beat everyone who tried to beat him. Another, Bud (NLN), was in his fifties, wiry like a Pony Express rider, and could outwork any three of us YDFC HS boys. Bud was a master of the "Laig" technique of pushing a 4-drwr onto another to pack a trailer ("We don't git paid fer deliverin' air!"). Bud invented the technique, I think. He'd shout words of encouragement while we struggled to hoist the thing ("Go to it like yer gittin' you some laig!") Bud was a fine Christian gentleman and I was very lucky to have known him. :cheers: (ginger ale)

A lot of the old timers called a hand truck a pair of hand trucks. No one knew why. Just like no one knew Bud's last name. 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, gwalchmai said:

Another, Bud (NLN), was in his fifties, wiry like a Pony Express rider, and could outwork any three of us YDFC HS boys. Bud was a master of the "Laig" technique of pushing a 4-drwr onto another to pack a trailer

One summer in high school, I was a "trucker's helper" (got assigned to whatever truck had the most heaviest stuff to deliver that day).  One day it was full of refrigerators.

The old guy said, "Here's how you carry a refrigerator". (they were in boxes).  He backed up to it,  pulled the top flap over his head, reached the other arm around back,  leaned forward, straightened up, and started staggering away.

"Grab one and follow me!"  I weighed 110lbs.

I almost died that day.

• Like 3

On 4/22/2023 at 9:35 PM, Huaco Kid said:

One summer in high school, I was a "trucker's helper" (got assigned to whatever truck had the most heaviest stuff to deliver that day).  One day it was full of refrigerators.

The old guy said, "Here's how you carry a refrigerator". (they were in boxes).  He backed up to it,  pulled the top flap over his head, reached the other arm around back,  leaned forward, straightened up, and started staggering away.

"Grab one and follow me!"  I weighed 110lbs.

I almost died that day.

We recently had a fridge delivered. Two guys put a strap under it and carried it between them. They were strapping young men, for sure. :)