Life is hard

crockett

2 minutes ago, Swampfox762 said:

Dude...I'm 73.  Talk to me from your van in 30 years.:D  Never mind, I won't be here.:patriot:

I know how old you are. That's no excuse. If you have two semi working legs, you can get out there and get something new started.

• Like 1

I took this about 3 hours ago, on my property in Central Colorado, from about where my front porch will be. That's Pike's Peak in the distance, with the little purple Mt. Pisgah in the mid distance. The cell towers are on top of Pisgah, so I gotta build within line of sight from it.  Life is hard, and it gettin worser. 

20211204_163615.jpg

• Like 6
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Walt Longmire said:

I'm so smiling. 7 acres on the edge of a State Park. Highway frontage. Creek right there with Rainbows and Salmon. Huge lake a short walk away, same as the Cook Inlet Beach. No neighbors. Prime property by anyones standards.

Pics, foo! 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

13 hours ago, crockett said:

I know from my own experiences and reading up on this topic, including studies, that both the mind and the body, aka your health, deteriorates once you become inactive. Being inside most of the time, sitting on our asses for prolonged times, sitting in-front of computer screens, is pretty much the worst you can do. You basically send your entire metabolism a signal that your body and mind isn't needed anymore.

Do some research on this topic. The people that live the longest, healthiest and happiest, work into high ages, outside, often past 80. Most of them do physical work. None of them eat fast food. None of them are alcoholics or smoke. None of them take ANY drugs. None of them spend any time on any computers or watching TV. For example the people on the Greek island Ikaria. They don't have access to our ""awesome"" medical care, at all. But they live in average 10 years longer than US folks, and they don't waste the last 2 decades of their life suffering from diseases.

Basically all my threads are meant as an inspiration to become more active, to start a new passion (my camper build and traveling with it), to eat healthier (my Food Emporium thread) , start a new trade (my welding thread), look into a new income opportunity (my day trading thread), a new sport (my track day and racing thread), etc. While some members show some interest, not much is changing. It comes at no surprise that people living in the US are so obese - or flat out fat - unhealthy, uninspired. Everybody seems to be permanently 24/7 connected to a smart phone, computer or gaming console.

At the end of the day it's none of my business what yall do, but its kinda depressing to see how some people throw away their health, time and wellbeing.

I agree Crockett.  We need to stay active in our "golden" years.  I walk 2.5 brisk miles every day, have done that for the past 40 years.  Getting some clean air in my lungs feels good even during cold Indiana winter's.  I told a friend who is my age that on a cold winter night, the stars are so bright in the sky while walking you forget its below freezing.  My house is a full 2 story with basement, so that means I'm up and down stairs on a regular basis.

I am fascinated with trying new things, maybe a new gun or handloading technique, building new projects in my wood shop, reading good books, watching you tube video's-my latest obsession is portable saw mills- lots of good internet video on that.  

I am lucky I can eat what I want.  I try to stay around 160 pounds, but splurge occasionally -Sunday morning features a donut while reading the Sunday paper-yeah I know only old people still read printed newspapers, I just enjoy the tradition on Sunday before heading to church with Mrs N.  

Everyone needs to find the good in life.  It can be difficult but keep on keepin on.   

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

14 hours ago, Swampfox762 said:

Dude...I'm 73.  Talk to me from your van in 30 years.:D  Never mind, I won't be here.:patriot:

Every morning I come to this site, hoping to find new, inspiring threads with some PERSONAL content, then I see the forum being flooded in a minute-interval with random crap found on the internet and copied, then I just close the browser again and walk away. I guess that's a good thing, more time for things away from the ******* computer.

Say what you want. This is not of value (for you), that's just an obsessive addiction.

image.thumb.png.78951d10a4bd4f144922bb03d1eaa787.png

15 hours ago, crockett said:

I know from my own experiences and reading up on this topic, including studies, that both the mind and the body, aka your health, deteriorates once you become inactive. Being inside most of the time, sitting on our asses for prolonged times, sitting in-front of computer screens, is pretty much the worst you can do. You basically send your entire metabolism a signal that your body and mind isn't needed anymore.

A busy bod is a happy bod. Being the restless type, I'm always doing something. Last night I had a band gig, which entails loading up, traveling to venue, setting up, playing our brains out for 3 hours, tearing down and packing up, driving home. It's a full work day. I must burn ten thousand calories. Body and mind working at the highest level which can be conjured. People ask me how I can do this at age 60, I just say "because I always have." I feel like Superman after playing a gig.

C468351C-20E2-43C6-8BB1-E15FA5FCACBE-XL.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, Lazy R said:

A busy bod is a happy bod. Being the restless type, I'm always doing something. Last night I had a band gig, which entails loading up, traveling to venue, setting up, playing our brains out for 3 hours, tearing down and packing up, driving home. It's a full work day. I must burn ten thousand calories. Body and mind working at the highest level which can be conjured. People ask me how I can do this at age 60, I just say "because I always have." I feel like Superman after playing a gig.

C468351C-20E2-43C6-8BB1-E15FA5FCACBE-XL.

Thank you for posting, really appreciate it. I always followed you around on GT. I too feel so much better when I exhausted myself on any day with physical (and mental) activities.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, crockett said:

At the end of the day it's none of my business what yall do, but its kinda depressing to see how some people throw away their health, time and wellbeing.

Crockett, I think your only seeing a small part of what people are about and what they have done or do.  I'm considerably older than Swampfox to give you an idea, but I still maintain two acres of lawn and landscaping.  Just because I wake early and get online doesn't mean I don't go to the gym for an hour most days. 

The other day I brought home four used railroad ties in the truck and cut them to fit in a landscaping project with the chainsaw.  Humping those ties is not that easy.  Used an old chain ready to be junked.   Last month I took down two dead Ash trees and cut them up for firewood, grandson helped me run the splinter and stack the wood for winter.  Pushed all the left over tree limbs into a pile with the blade on the fourwheeler ready to burn when it safe.  Next it will be plowing snow on a cold winter day when I would rather go to the gym.

I could go on and on but I think you get the idea, and I have still been able to maintain my weight to within five pounds of what it was when I was discharged as an Infantry Sgt. in the late 60's.  By the way I always enjoy seeing your posts of your latest projects, keep it up.

PS: When the mood suits me I go out back and shoot a few rounds on my own range.

• Thanks 1

TBS is the very last forum I'm truly active on. There are very few forums where I'm still a member. They all are very purpose orientated, like a welding forum. I only ask topic related questions on those few forums and don't share much or any personal stuff.

Forums used to be the **** dating back to the late 90s and 2000s. Ever since FaceBook showed up, forums have died off. And ever since Instagram and TokTok showed up, FaceBook is dying off (not counting the left vs right bickering). The attention span needed for those new platforms is basically only a few seconds. It's a true reflection of today's society. "Nobody" sits down anymore and creates QUALITY content by coming up with new projects and posting regularly on the progress.

These days its mostly useless memes and random photos that have nothing to do with the poster. If I wanted to see that, I can just Google it myself.

Quality always topped quantity. So how did we end up with folks copy and pasting thousands of those memes and images EVERY ******* DAY? That's like the equivalent of mouth-diarrhea. A term used by a good friend when people keep talking on stuff that has zero value or individuality.

Most potentially new TBS members look at the recent posts section on the home page. When they see memes and photos spammed through-out the entire section, they may easily think that this forums is bot infested! The first impression counts, and that is not inviting for new members, or to grow this forum. Heck, even many of the old GT members don't show up anymore because it's the same ol same ol.

Also, how many times have people started new threads which get dumped down the list with spam posts within minutes, so many don't even get to see those threads due to the massive amount of spam.

Maybe @Eric can help with this by removing all those spammer threads with 100 plus pages, to be excluded from the "recent post" listing on the home page. Would make the forum look much more inviting with a bunch of fresh content listed instead of the same garbage.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, pipedreams said:

Crockett, I think your only seeing a small part of what people are about and what they have done or do.  I'm considerably older than Swampfox to give you an idea, but I still maintain two acres of lawn and landscaping.  Just because I wake early and get online doesn't mean I don't go to the gym for an hour most days. 

The other days I brought home four used railroad ties in the truck and cut them to fit in a landscaping project with the chainsaw.  Humping those ties is not that easy.  Used an old chain ready to be junked.   Last month I took down two dead Ash trees and cut them up for firewood, grandson helped me run the splinter and stack the wood for winter.  Pushed all the left over tree limbs into a pile with the blade on the fourwheeler ready to burn when it safe.  Next it will be plowing snow on a cold winter day when I would rather go to the gym.

I could go on and on but I think you get the idea, and I have still been able to maintain my weight to within five pounds of what it was when I was discharged as an Infantry Sgt. in the late 60's.  By the way I always enjoy seeing your posts of your latest projects, keep it up.

PS: When the mood suits me I go out back and shoot a few rounds on my own range.

I'd much rather hear and see photos of what YOU are up to than the same pollical crap that we can't change anyways, because we are already all on the same page in this forum when it comes to that topic.

Not counting a few folks, TBS has turned into a political and meme invested landfill. We all shared some, we all have seen them... but what is the point of repeating the same? Correct. There is none.

2 hours ago, crockett said:

Every morning I come to this site, hoping to find new, inspiring threads with some PERSONAL content, then I see the forum being flooded in a minute-interval with random crap found on the internet and copied, then I just close the browser again and walk away. I guess that's a good thing, more time for things away from the ******* computer.

Say what you want. This is not of value (for you), that's just an obsessive addiction.

Well, that's what ya said when ya said you were gonna take a break form TBS. 

My friend, you got so much wrong with you I truly feel for ya.  Ya don't drink, don't go out with friends...you have any???...ya don't like people, don't get along with women, you're a complete hermit, ya buy toys all the time to try and give yourself something positive to enjoy.  I just see you as a guy that is always searching for something you won't ever find.  You always seem to be running away from Everything.   It's gotta be hard when YOU are all you have.  Ya need to get a dog or a cat.  You NEED something in your life besides you, your money, your van, your new Welder, your watches, your new tonka truck or what ever that thing is...

I enjoy the hell out of your threads, but lately, you've got a hard on for me in particular and the things I like to post.  Part of that "Searching" you're doing and seeing everything else that dosn't meet your cirteria as random crap.   How bout just puttin me on your ignore list bro?  Then I guess Pipedreams will be next for all the "random crap" he posts.  I hope ya find some peace Crockett.  Ya sure need it my friend.  I don't understand how someone with SO much talent can be so lost... Good luck.

12 minutes ago, Swampfox762 said:

Well, that's what ya said when ya said you were gonna take a break form TBS. 

My friend, you got so much wrong with you I truly feel for ya.  Ya don't drink, don't go out with friends...you have any???...ya don't like people, don't get along with women, you're a complete hermit, ya buy toys all the time to try and give yourself something positive to enjoy.  I just see you as a guy that is always searching for something you won't ever find.  You always seem to be running away from Everything.   It's gotta be hard when YOU are all you have.  Ya need to get a dog or a cat.  You NEED something in your life besides you, your money, your van, your new Welder, your watches, your new tonka truck or what ever that thing is...

I enjoy the hell out of your threads, but lately, you've got a hard on for me in particular and the things I like to post.  Part of that "Searching" you're doing and seeing everything else that dosn't meet your cirteria as random crap.   How bout just puttin me on your ignore list bro?  Then I guess Pipedreams will be next for all the "random crap" he posts.  I hope ya find some peace Crockett.  Ya sure need it my friend.  I don't understand how someone with SO much talent can be so lost... Good luck.

I've got no hard on for you, I just get tired of this useless spam. And this is not just my personal perspective. Read my next post on the topic!

Also, how many other forums do you know where 2 people spam thousands of images every week? As a matter of facts, most forums ban spammers, because they don't add true content.

As I just wrote in my prior post, if this forum turns out to be just a spam invested nonsense place, I'll be gone for good. And I can guarantee you this: this forum will be dead within a few years once the 3 people spamming it can't show up anymore due to health issues. Who will be left once this forum was only frequented by spammers?

Instead of feeling attacked and trying to get back at me with nonsense, how about you take your cell phone and share a personal photo for a change? When you look closely, that's all I'm asking for. Less spam, more personal content with some value to it!

47 minutes ago, crockett said:

I've got no hard on for you, I just get tired of this useless spam. And this is not just my personal perspective. Read my next post on the topic!

Also, how many other forums do you know where 2 people spam thousands of images every week? As a matter of facts, most forums ban spammers, because they don't add true content.

As I just wrote in my prior post, if this forum turns out to be just a spam invested nonsense place, I'll be gone for good. And I can guarantee you this: this forum will be dead within a few years once the 3 people spamming it can't show up anymore due to health issues. Who will be left once this forum was only frequented by spammers?

Instead of feeling attacked and trying to get back at me with nonsense, how about you take your cell phone and share a personal photo for a change? When you look closely, that's all I'm asking for. Less spam, more personal content with some value to it!

One man's "spam" as you call it is another's "enjoyment".  If this is the only board you're on, I can certainly see why.  You just want everything "Your" way and perspective.  How bout just ignoring what ya don't enjoy and carry on man?  I've shared a LOT of my personal stories, pictures of my art, guns, Knives....This forum has been this was for at least a year.  Remember?  That's why you left...to take a break from everything.  This board will do just fine with or without me or you.  Get a dog or a cat man.  You need something else "Alive" in your house...or van...you live too much in your own head.  That's dangerous.

Anyway, off to see my 89 year old aunt in the assisted living place.  Only do that 4 times a week.  Least I ain't "spamin" TBS!:anim_lol:

42 minutes ago, Swampfox762 said:

This board will do just fine..

Negative. Not a single new member in 6 weeks! Biff posted several times, now he wasn't online for 5 days.

image.png.d809b694dec508630e807d1061ae45ec.png

I coded and ran my own forum. If TBS stays on this track, it will be dead in a few years at best.

Just pulled up a little 3rd party stat. Keyword Gaps are search relevant words or phrases leading to external content. Have a look at the keywords. That's what TBS is "known" for right now:

image.png.6911c7460fd2a7beb3bfca1f2bcb34fa.png

Exactly the type of content I was talking about when it comes to the nonstop negative, politically motived repetitiveness that is sticking around like a dirty bubble gum to your shoe.

Also, those times where you could trick the SEO bots and crawlers into better ranking by faking lots of content with links and low text content are LOOONG gone.

Granted, you don't know anything on the topic on how to maintain let alone grow a forum.

16 hours ago, Walt Longmire said:

I'm so smiling. 7 acres on the edge of a State Park. Highway frontage. Creek right there with Rainbows and Salmon. Huge lake a short walk away, same as the Cook Inlet Beach. No neighbors. Prime property by anyones standards.

Niiiice!!! Attaboy, Smoke! Congratulations! Sounds like a slice of heaven.

• Administrators

Guys, I'd appreciate it if you stopped the arguing.

FWIW, I've made my opinions known on the meme and similar content here. I've also said that if that is how most folks want to participate here, I'll allow it. That aside, I've made it pretty clear that I don't want people taking shots at each other. I appreciate the concern for the site's well-being, but arguing with each other is not going to move things in a positive direction. Please guys, try to relax and enjoy each other's company. There is plenty going on to wind you up IRL. Let's not drag that strife onto the site.

I've been building and running forum websites for more than a quarter of a century. I know what makes them tick. I know what's wrong and right with this one, but my resources to address the problems here are stretched pretty thin. My primary focus right now is keeping the bills paid, mine and the site's. I haven't had much time to dedicate to the site lately as it is. I don't have the time or energy to deal with a feud between you guys. Please.

Merry Christmas, folks.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1