Things are amazing when you think about it ... technology in the wilderness

AerynSun2

I have an increasing desire to unplug from tech. I miss those times when you would go see a friend without having to call first. Time being spend in the outdoors without being interrupted by the wife, chinking in every other hour via text. Or going to places without needing Google maps on the phone. Or playing a bunch of computer games on a C64 with friends, in the same room, and not over the internet. I miss camping, exploring a town on foot, being able to go to places without any masks.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Indeed. I remember “party line “ phones, rotary dial at that, and maybe a 6 foot cord.  Black and white tv.  I could hunt or fish about anyplace I could walk to.   Leave in the morning, be back before dark.  Everyone knew everyone else in the community.  Unless you had to prime tobacco, get up hay, cut and split wood……..   It was quieter and a much better world then.  Having said that, it’s nice to be able to call a tow truck if you have car trouble.  

• Like 2

2 hours ago, AerynSun2 said:

So here I am in the wilderness at about 9,000 feet.

Sat'l TV

Connected to the internet

Solar Power

Travel Trailer

Edibles

Beer, wine, food

Great weather!

Other than the satellite tv and internot, I am all onboard with it.

When I want to get away, TV and internot. are the lowest things on my list of necessities.

Ugh.  I hate tv even in the house with no cable.  Not gonna take it with me on vacation.  And if I have cell service, I obviously haven't gone far enough to escape civilization.  Freeze dried backpacker meals taste good when you've just hiked 10-12 miles, and while I like my booze, I'd rather have a lighter pack and just take my water filter.  I DO appreciate good weather, though my definition of good is pretty much "above freezing and not raining/snowing heavily" - I guess I have become a hermit at heart.  

• Like 1

13 hours ago, crockett said:

I have an increasing desire to unplug from tech. I miss those times when you would go see a friend without having to call first. Time being spend in the outdoors without being interrupted by the wife, chinking in every other hour via text. Or going to places without needing Google maps on the phone. Or playing a bunch of computer games on a C64 with friends, in the same room, and not over the internet. I miss camping, exploring a town on foot, being able to go to places without any masks.

Welcome to my world.

• Like 2

My grandson was quite surprised recently when he visited and discovered me actually watching tv for the first time in years. Cell coverage around here is spotty. The moment you leave the road system, and often even while on it, the coverage is gone. It's still the Wild West out there. Best to be thinking about that when you leave the comforts of home behind.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Mrs.Cicero said:

Ugh.  I hate tv even in the house with no cable.  Not gonna take it with me on vacation.  And if I have cell service, I obviously haven't gone far enough to escape civilization.  Freeze dried backpacker meals taste good when you've just hiked 10-12 miles, and while I like my booze, I'd rather have a lighter pack and just take my water filter.  I DO appreciate good weather, though my definition of good is pretty much "above freezing and not raining/snowing heavily" - I guess I have become a hermit at heart.  

What she said!  The most tech i would bring with me is a book.  Maybe an electronic book.   

We don't have a TV.  The internet has been a requirement for school, university and work.   However, if i didn't have to worry about that stuff.   POOF...good bye internet.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, AerynSun2 said:

So here I am in the wilderness at about 9,000 feet.

Sat'l TV

Connected to the internet

Solar Power

Travel Trailer

Edibles

Beer, wine, food

Great weather!

While all the tech stuff is nice are you equipped to deal with the elements if the tech stops working?

19 minutes ago, kerbie18 said:

Jesus man??? Did you piss off Thor???

I'm a commercial television and satellite broadcast engineer. I usually work outside, on antennas... Not worried about THOR. but Yes, always worried about keeping in good graces with the, um, aforementioned - the 1st word in your sentence.

• Like 1