Hyperventilating

Mrs.Cicero

6 hours ago, Mrs.Cicero said:

Ugh.  Today's chainsaw  lesson was from the husband... don't step on a yellow jacket nest while sawing... I will go back there later in my bee suit and see what I can do about that.

Watch it, note the holes the vermin use. Pour gasoline into each hole. Walk away, resisting the temptation to strike a match. The fumes are heavier than air and will settle into all the nooks and crannies and kill those things dead.

There are several commercial products which can do about the same job. One I used on a different nest created a lot of foam. The nest collapsed so completely I had to fill it in. 

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Mrs.Cicero said:

Ugh.  Today's chainsaw  lesson was from the husband... don't step on a yellow jacket nest while sawing... I will go back there later in my bee suit and see what I can do about that.

Mom once had trees fall on her bee hives.  She quickly learned that you could cut them up with a chainsaw, without much problem.

But if you tried to take an ax to the smaller branches first,  all hell would break loose on you.

• Like 3

5 hours ago, DAKA said:

We're not THERE, yet      (You got a license for that?)

I just wanted to post a photo of a kid in the most dangerous situation possible, in a war. Hiding kids from reality is never a good idea. They will never learn to cope, let alone deal with issues.

Beta males hide. And they are the first to succumb. Teach children how to be alphas, we have too many betas hiding in video games and smart phones, while having an opinion that is totally out of touch with reality. Once they get to a voting age, they tip the needle to a government that promises to take care of them. Meanwhile we all lose our freedoms as a result of it.

• Like 3

17 hours ago, Huaco Kid said:

Mom once had trees fall on her bee hives.  She quickly learned that you could cut them up with a chainsaw, without much problem.

But if you tried to take an ax to the smaller branches first,  all hell would break loose on you.

A running chainsaw will keep honeybees from stinging you. Not so much with Yellowjackets and Bald Faced Hornets.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

5 hours ago, Walt Longmire said:

A running chainsaw will keep honeybees from stinging you. Not so much with Yellowjackets and Bald Faced Hornets.

Ain't honeybees pretty passive anyway...as long as ya don't piss em off?  Damn Yellowjackets!!!  and WASPS!!!  Hate those damn things!!!

• Like 2

15 hours ago, Swampfox762 said:

Ain't honeybees pretty passive anyway...as long as ya don't piss em off?  Damn Yellowjackets!!!  and WASPS!!!  Hate those damn things!!!

All around my house is a no-flying-zone. Violators get swatted, zapped, sprayed, or at least yelled at, no matter the race or weaponry.

Even the cranes know the rules: walking only.

image.png.e33697a0bf09ba5bdf8d94f36825477c.png

• Haha 3

On 8/15/2021 at 7:30 PM, railfancwb said:

Watch it, note the holes the vermin use. Pour gasoline into each hole. Walk away, resisting the temptation to strike a match. The fumes are heavier than air and will settle into all the nooks and crannies and kill those things dead.

There are several commercial products which can do about the same job. One I used on a different nest created a lot of foam. The nest collapsed so completely I had to fill it in. 

A friend of mine had several yellow jacket nests on his place marked for eradication.   He poured gas in the hole, ran a back trail and used a stick match.  He said if the ground didn’t shake you didn’t use enough gas.  Those winged demons have a nasty attitude.  

• Like 1

On 8/16/2021 at 10:47 PM, crockett said:

All around my house is a no-flying-zone. Violators get swatted, zapped, sprayed, or at least yelled at, no matter the race or weaponry.

Even the cranes know the rules: walking only.

image.png.e33697a0bf09ba5bdf8d94f36825477c.png

Those are walking ribeyes bud.  Get yourself an airgun or run 'em over and show us some pics of what you cook up.

Never had them myself, but I've heard they are quite good.

• Haha 1

I have an old Stihl weed whacker that spues exhaust. Many a time it has saved me from being stung. The cloud around me keeps them from finding out who is tearing their world apart. I've even stuck the exhaust right in the hole to the nest to good effect. They fly out, but are not able to find you to sting. 

16 minutes ago, Peng said:

Those are walking ribeyes bud.  Get yourself an airgun or run 'em over and show us some pics of what you cook up.

Sandhill cranes are protected in Florida. No need to shoot or run them over, just grab that long neck. They never run away because nobody does anything to them. When they cross the streets, cars will stop and wait for them to move on. Most like them around my neck. I don't mind them, unless the male starts his calling screech that sounds like a flying dinosaur about to come down and kill you.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Peng said:

If you shape the legs right, and leave them on the roof to dry, they make great backscratchers.