Lion vs Gorilla

Eric

• Administrators

My money is on the gorilla. The gorilla is enormously strong and mentally capable of using rocks, sticks and other objects as weapons. He has fangs of his own and if he gets his hands on the lion, the fight would probably be over. Both creatures have fearsome weapons at their disposal, but I think the gorilla’s superior strength, stamina and intelligence would probably win the day.

Like, a Mighty Joe Young?

If not,  the lion would take him handily.

I don't know if gorillas hunt meat.  But they probably get a little ruffled when a cat comes sneaking around.

But gorillas, and lions, travel in groups.  There wouldn't be a one-on-one.

It would be a Brooklyn-style rumble.

Set to music, with great choreography and a lot of fur flying around.

• Administrators
Just now, Huaco Kid said:

Like, a Mighty Joe Young?

If not,  the lion would take him handily.

I don't know if gorillas hunt meat.  But they probably get a little ruffled when a cat comes sneaking around.

But gorillas, and lions, travel in groups.  There wouldn't be a one-on-one.

It would be a Brooklyn-style rumble.

Set to music, with great choreography and a lot of fur flying around.

In my scenario, both sides send in champions. :biggrin: 

• Administrators
2 minutes ago, crockett said:

Going to bed with my S&W 500 ES.

That's all.

See, the intelligence to fashion and use weapons makes us better killers than both animals. Superior intelligence would give the gorilla an advantage over the lion.

• Administrators
1 minute ago, crockett said:

If he has enough time to come up with a plan IMO.

Like picking up a large rock or tree branch before the lion closes with him? Pound-for-pound, the gorilla is much stronger and has better endurance. I think both animals would leave blood on the ground, but the gorilla would prevail. Of course, I am basing that on nothing of substance, but since there is no proving or disproving any of this, I am confident I am right. :biggrin:

• Haha 1

14 minutes ago, Eric said:

Like picking up a large rock or tree branch before the lion closes with him? Pound-for-pound, the gorilla is much stronger and has better endurance. I think both animals would leave blood on the ground, but the gorilla would prevail. Of course, I am basing that on nothing of substance, but since there is no proving or disproving any of this, I am confident I am right. :biggrin:

How much money would it take to get a zoo to put on this match for us to watch. You could carry it on TV like a UFC event. 

• Like 1

• Administrators
1 minute ago, kerbie18 said:

How much money would it take to get a zoo to put on this match for us to watch. You could carry it on TV like a UFC event. 

I wonder if the gorilla would be smart enough to take a dive, if we could figure out how to offer it an appealing payoff? We could clean up.

My money's on the lion. Lions are known for killing tigers much larger than themselves by grabbing them in a death hug and evicerating them with their hind claws. Male lions are thought to be protected from this tactic by their manes. Lions are also known for killing large animals like water buffalo with single blows from their paws. And of course there are those jaws, which can bite right through an arm or leg, taking it out.

Gorillas are incredibly strong, but I don't know of any documented case of them using tools as weapons. That would be interesting. Also, gorillas don't fight other animals all that much. They establish dominance among their peer group with displays and charges/butting, but almost never to the death. They're not primarily carnivores, so they don't have bloodlust as a rule. Lions, OTOH, fight stuff to the death, well, before breakfast. 

Speaking of which, there are documented cases of grizzlies fighting imported African lions and Spanish fighting bulls during the early days of San Francisco, and the bears won very quickly.

• Like 2

Unless a Lion gets a strategic bite-hold, like a neck wound, the Gorilla has got this. Ripped to shreds by lion teeth and claws? Possible. As long as they are weight-matched. However, a Gorilla is not a natural meat eater. On the other hand, a Lion, or any "cat", is designed to cause flesh damage to incapacitate. Even house cats are designed to kill prey. A Gorilla is a plant eater yes, no?

6 hours ago, kerbie18 said:

May need to introduce a few hot gorilla and lion chicks and teach them how to carry round numbers and blow kisses??

• Haha 1

23 minutes ago, inthefrey said:

Unless a Lion gets a strategic bite-hold, like a neck wound, the Gorilla has got this. Ripped to shreds by lion teeth and claws? Possible. As long as they are weight-matched. However, a Gorilla is not a natural meat eater. On the other hand, a Lion, or any "cat", is designed to cause flesh damage to incapacitate. Even house cats are designed to kill prey. A Gorilla is a plant eater yes, no?

The are mostly plant eaters.  They'll eat termites and other bugs, if you count that.  My money is on the lion.  They hunt animals to eat in order to survive.  Their teeth and claws are evolved for it.  The gorilla doesn't hunt, and its teeth and claws are not evolved for hunting/killing.  Also, gorillas mostly establish dominance by threat display, not actually fighting.  Leopards successfully hunt and kill gorillas, and seeing how lions are larger, and more accustomed to larger prey, I don't think a gorilla would be a great challenge to a lion.

• Like 2

I've never heard of lions and tigers being in the same ecosystem. They might meet in captivity, and the roles would be different. Being smaller, the lion could conceivably make the strategic move above, but I've seen tigers in action, and it is impressive and decisive. Lions have natural enemies, not sure tigers do. Lions travel in larger groups, but we are talking one on one.

Lion vs Gorilla? Again, I doubt they would ever cross paths in the wild, but the battle would be epic. Money on the lion, but it would be brutal enough that neither may survive.

8 hours ago, Eric said:

Somebody needs to put them into one and the same cage. And a stick. And a brick. :D