Schmidt Meister's Grab Bag

Schmidt Meister

World's record largest freshwater fish caught in Cambodia.
Record keepers confirmed that the 661-pound freshwater stingray caught on June 13, was indeed the largest freshwater fish (landed so far) in the world.
Nose to tail, the fish was over 13 feet long and weighed over the equivalent of two standard refrigerators.
The group also tagged the stingray to study its migration pattern before setting it free, 18 hours later. They named the ray, "Boramy" which means "full moon" in Khmer, the native language, and given to girls born on a full moon.
"This species of stingray has one of the largest barbs of any stingray," said Hogan. "On a big ray, the barb is 8-10 inches long.
The previous world record holder was a 646 pound Mekong giant catfish caught in Thailand in 2005.

Stingray - World's Record Freshwater Fish - 661 Lbs. - Mekong River - Cambodia - 6.13.2022.png

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Schmidt Meister said:

I hate regulations as much or more than anyone, but an IQ test to buy fireworks .... No, never mind ... there has to be a herd culling after all. If they do it themselves nobody will be facing charges.

1633778427_FireworksFail-2.gif

Growing up I numbed some fingers for a few minutes playing with firecrackers. Learned a lesson I couldn’t have from books. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, railfancwb said:

Growing up I numbed some fingers for a few minutes playing with firecrackers. Learned a lesson I couldn’t have from books. 

My younger brother did the same thing. It surprised everyone. We had lit a string of black cats and about 2 or 3 minutes later, he picked up what he thought was a dud and it went off. Never saw that happen before.

• Like 2

We got a book on making fireworks. Between a chemical supply store and a ranch supply, getting the chemicals was easy in the 70s. We tested some in a storm drain and blew a manhole cover off. A Sheriff’s deputy told us to just make sure and put the cover back when we were done so no one drove into the hole. Different world back then. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, Batesmotel said:

We got a book on making fireworks. Between a chemical supply store and a ranch supply, getting the chemicals was easy in the 70s. We tested some in a storm drain and blew a manhole cover off. A Sheriff’s deputy told us to just make sure and put the cover back when we were done so no one drove into the hole. Different world back then. 

We used to buy M-80's, the old school M-80's, by the bucketful. Never see days like those again.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

Long time ago, in the early 50's, I wanted buy some fireworks....told my my dad, a surgeon, he said no,  then he took me through Coney Island Hospital, must have been July 5th or 6th

There were quite a few patients with missing fingers, blinded  etc....I never did get into fireworks after that...

• Like 4

1 hour ago, DAKA said:

Long time ago, in the early 50's, I wanted buy some fireworks....told my my dad, a surgeon, he said no,  then he took me through Coney Island Hospital, must have been July 5th or 6th

There were quite a few patients with missing fingers, blinded  etc....I never did get into fireworks after that...

I can understand how that could affect a young man's attitude towards fireworks. I have some friends who are seriously anti-fireworks because they raise quite a few "foster" dogs that are terrified of fireworks. Luckily they are fortunate enough to live in an isolated area.

• Like 3

The driver of a jet-powered semi died when the vehicle crashed in a fiery accident in Michigan on Saturday.
Battle Creek police identified the victim as Chris Darnell, 40, who was behind the wheel of the Shockwave Jet Truck when it raced through or by an explosion and appeared to be in flames, producing a streak of smoke and debris recorded on video.
It wasn't clear if that first burst of flames, which created a cloud of black smoke, was part of the expected display at the annual Battle Creek Field of Flight Air Show and Balloon Festival. The state government's website promotes the event and notes that it features "pyro and the WALL OF FIRE."
Two prop planes were performing aerial tricks and flying low above the truck as it raced down a runway at the Battle Creek Executive Airport when the accident happened.

• Haha 1
  • Sad 1

Wow, Yellowstone Season 5 doesn't start until the middle of November ... that sucks. But I'm ready, I'm ready, I'm ready ... My wife and I didn't think we would like this show, we don't watch a lot of TV. We decided to give it a shot about the time Season 4 was almost over and they played 1 through 4, one after the other on Paramount. She recorded them and we found ourselves binging. We got hooked.

Screen Shot 2022-07-04 at 6.34.43 PM.png

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Schmidt Meister said:

Wow, Yellowstone Season 5 doesn't start until the middle of November ... that sucks. But I'm ready, I'm ready, I'm ready ... My wife and I didn't think we would like this show, we don't watch a lot of TV. We decided to give it a shot about the time Season 4 was almost over and they played 1 through 4, one after the other on Paramount. She recorded them and we found ourselves binging. We got hooked.

Don't miss the prequel, 1883. It has a few cameos such as Billy Bob Thornton and Tom Hanks.

6lspcy.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, Schmidt Meister said:

We have started watching from the beginning for a second time.....one of the GREATS   (All great roles....Beth is AWESOME) 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

23 minutes ago, DAKA said:

We have started watching from the beginning for a second time.....one of the GREATS   (All great roles....Beth is AWESOME) 

Us too. The wife just recorded the entire series and we started watching last night. Beth is ONE TOUGH BITCH ... in a good way, lol.

• Like 2

Full disclosure: I think eating competitions are slightly gross and shouldn’t be conducted … but this is America and my opinion is just my opinion. I don’t let it warp my mind and I don’t protest it because … again … America.
Hot dog eating legend Joey Chestnut had quite an eventful day on route to winning his fifteenth Nathan’s Hot Dog Eating Contest.
The American turned up to the annual Fourth of July event on crutches and a cast on his lower right leg, with questions being asked about whether his injury would impact his eating ability.
The questions were soon answered, as not only did Chestnut smash 63 hot dogs in 10 minutes, but he took out a protestor who had made their way onto the stage in the process.
Joey ‘Jaws’ Chestnut sprinted into a healthy 11 hot dog lead just three minutes into Monday’s event as he looked to cruise to his seventh straight title.
However, soon after his eleventh sausage treat, a protestor wearing a Darth Vader mask hustled their way to the stage and unravelled a sign in front of Chestnut, that read: “Expose Smithfield’s Deathstar.”
The sign was an apparent protest against pork producer Smithfield Foods.
Despite being in a cast and midway through chomping down some dawgs, he quickly grabbed the protestor in a chokehold and dragged him to the floor.
He then proceeded to look unfazed as he continued on devouring the hot dogs and his competition, finishing with 15 more hot dogs than second-placed Geoffrey Esper.
I guess no one gets in the way of Chestnut and his hot dogs.
Does he get extra points for a swift takedown mid-full mouth.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1