Schmidt Meister's Grab Bag

Schmidt Meister

9 hours ago, DAKA said:

I thought the DRIVERS CHOICE only worked on the radio stations....THAT is a new one

I showed this to my wife because she insists that whatever fries she eats on the way home from work on those rare occasions she picks up fast food DO NOT COUNT as her share. She concurs totally with the rat.

• Haha 4

The Irukandji jellyfish are any of several similar, extremely venomous species of rare jellyfish. With a very small adult size of about 1/4” to almost 1.” They are both the smallest and one of the most venomous jellyfish in the world. They inhabit the northern marine waters of Australia. This type of jellyfish reproduces sexually with eggs and sperm. They fire their stingers into their victim, causing a condition known in humans as Irukandji syndrome, which can be fatal. There are about 16 known species of Irukandji.
Irukandji syndrome was named in 1952 by Hugo Flecker. The syndrome was named after the Irukandji people, whose region stretches along the coastal strip north of Cairns, Queensland. The first of these jellyfish was identified in 1964 by Jack Barnes. Australian toxicologist Jamie Seymour made a documentary about the jellyfish called Killer Jellyfish.
The southern extent of the Irukandji's range on Australia's eastern coast has been gradually moving south.
There has been an increased incidence of Irukandji stings reported around Great Palm Island, off the coast of north Queensland near Townsville.
Some are believed to have spread farther north as symptoms of the species have been experienced off the coasts of Florida, Japan and Britain.
Very little is known about the life cycle and venom of Irukandji jellyfish. Their venom is very powerful. They are blamed for killing 5 tourists during a 3-month period in Australia; all of the five victims displayed two typical features of Irukandji syndrome: delayed onset (5–40 min. to illness and 2–12 hrs. to death) and highly visible distress (vomiting, difficulty breathing, extreme pain, etc.).
Although the initial sting is only a mild irritant in humans, some people who have been stung, after 30 minutes, have begged the doctor to kill them.
Unlike most jellyfish, which have stingers only on their tentacles, the Irukandji also has stingers on its bell. Biologists have yet to discover the function of this unique characteristic. The hypothesis is that the feature helps the jellyfish catch its prey of small fish.
Irukandji jellyfish have the ability to fire stingers from the tips of their tentacles and inject venom.
Irukandji jellyfish's stings are so severe they can cause fatal brain hemorrhages and on average send 50-100 people to the hospital annually.
Robert Drewe describes the sting as "100 times as potent as that of a cobra and 1,000 times stronger than a tarantula's".
Irukandji syndrome is produced by a very small amount of venom and induces excruciating muscle cramps in the arms and legs, severe pain in the back and kidneys, a burning sensation of the skin and face, headaches, nausea, restlessness, sweating, vomiting, an increase in heart rate and blood pressure, and psychological phenomena such as the feeling of impending doom.
The sting is moderately irritating; the severe syndrome is delayed for 5–120 minutes (30 minutes on average). The symptoms last from hours to weeks, and victims usually require hospitalization. Contrary to belief, researchers from James Cook University and Cairns hospital in far north Queensland have found that vinegar promotes the discharge of jellyfish venom. "You can increase the venom load in your victim by 50 per cent," says Associate Professor Jamie Seymour from the Australian Institute of Tropical Health and Medicine at the university. "That's a big amount, and that's enough to make the difference, we think, between someone surviving and somebody dying." Other research indicates that while vinegar may increase the discharge from triggered stingers, it also prevents untriggered stingers from discharging; since the majority of stingers do not trigger immediately, the Australian Resuscitation Council continues to recommend using vinegar.
Treatment is symptomatic, with antihistamines and anti-hypertensive drugs used to control inflammation and hypertension; intravenous opioids, such as morphine and fentanyl, are used to control the pain.

Irukandji Jellyfish.jpg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

43 minutes ago, Schmidt Meister said:

I've eaten octopus twice in my life. The first time I had been drinking a little and I did not like it, the second time just confirmed that I didn't like it, even sober. And I love seafood.

Grilled Octopus ...YUM

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

22 minutes ago, Schmidt Meister said:

I can eat almost any seafood, almost anything land or sea, but I never could eat octopus or squid without it feeling like it was**** getting bigger as I chewed it.

********getting bigger as I chewed it.  ??

Octopus, If it's on the menu...I WANT it..... 

Evidently, you have never had GOOD GRILLED OCTOPUS....

IF.....it is PROPERLY PREPARED it will NOT BE CHEWEY

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Cougar_ml said:

In Korea, it's apparently not uncommon to eat live octopus, especially while drinking.  I heard comments about the suckers on the tentacles grabbing onto your tongue while eating it.
Decided I wanted nothing to do with it.

YUCK,   man. gotta chop it off and GRILL the damn thing

• Sad 1

48 minutes ago, DAKA said:

********getting bigger as I chewed it.  ??

Octopus, If it's on the menu...I WANT it..... 

Evidently, you have never had GOOD GRILLED OCTOPUS....

IF.....it is PROPERLY PREPARED it will NOT BE CHEWEY

Well seriously, you can have my share. I might would try it again or I might not. There are usually many things on a menu that I know I can enjoy that it doesn't even enter my mind to order something I haven't ever enjoyed in the past.

• Thanks 1