Schmidt Meister's Grab Bag

Schmidt Meister

16 hours ago, Schmidt Meister said:

Updated:

Football.jpg

If LSU beats UGA in the SEC championship, that’s two of the four national championship teams right there. And Tennessee is 9-2 with a win over LSU…

Bama lost to Tennessee and LSU so reason says it should be out of the hunt for the national championship. Reason says.

No wonder so many want to enlarge the playoff field to twelve or even sixteen teams. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, railfancwb said:

If LSU beats UGA in the SEC championship, that’s two of the four national championship teams right there. And Tennessee is 9-2 with a win over LSU…

Bama lost to Tennessee and LSU so reason says it should be out of the hunt for the national championship. Reason says.

No wonder so many want to enlarge the playoff field to twelve or even sixteen teams. 

The championships should be re-evaluated/expanded, but they already have, what, 20 or so useless 'bowl' games for the losers. Need to do away with all those but they never will because of the money.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, railfancwb said:

And shame on you, UGA will beat LSU, lol, saying otherwise is blasphemy.

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, railfancwb said:

Seems LSU lost to Texas A&M, which is another SEC team. So why is LSU with three conference loses playing in the SEC championship rather than Bama with only two conference losses? Even if LSU beats UGA they now are  unlikely to go to the playoffs. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, railfancwb said:

Seems LSU lost to Texas A&M, which is another SEC team. So why is LSU with three conference loses playing in the SEC championship rather than Bama with only two conference losses? Even if LSU beats UGA they now are  unlikely to go to the playoffs. 

Well… I misread or misunderstood LSU conference record. Seems LSU and Bama are both 6-2 in the conference but Bama lost to LSU. Overall though LSU is now 9-3…

December 3 should set the stage 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, railfancwb said:

Here is THE problem with college football ranking and why it seems to run contrary to common sense. Whereas you or I would rank the teams solely on stats which are concrete, the present method of selection is based totally and absolutely on opinion. That opinion is divided between different groups which like to be referred to as 'EXPERTS.' Until the rankings are decided SOLELY on stats, there will always be irregularities and prejudices.

In the case of all three polls, “experts” rank teams based on a variety of criteria, including recent results and current win-loss records, the strength of opponents, and results against common opponents.

Associated Press top 25 poll

The poll is put together by a panel of 63 sports writers and broadcasters. Each voter does a top-25 ranking that gives a team 25 points for a first, 24 for a second, and so on. The numbers are then combined to produce the AP Top 25 rankings and voter ballots are made public.

USA Today AFCA Coaches Poll

The AFCA Coaches poll has been around since 1950 using a panel of NCAA head coaches to rank the top college football teams in the country.
The poll is now conducted once in August during the preseason and weekly throughout the regular season using a panel of 66 head coaches at FBS schools to rank the top college football teams in the country.
Like the AP Poll, each coach on the panel does a top 25 ranking giving a team 25 points for a first, 24 for a second, and so on. The numbers are then combined to produce the Coaches Poll rankings.
The coaches panel itself is put together using a random draw from a pool of coaches who have indicated a willingness to participate.

College Football Playoff Rankings

A rotating 13-member College Football Playoff selection committee, made up mostly of NCAA athletic directors, former coaches, and former players, decide which teams will be invited to the College Football Playoff four-team postseason tournament and have the chance to play for a national title.

The Ant and the Grasshopper - CLASSIC VERSION:

The ant works hard in the withering heat all summer long, building his house and laying up supplies for the winter. The grasshopper thinks he's a fool, and laughs and dances and plays the summer away.

Come winter, the ant is warm and well fed. The grasshopper has no food or shelter, so he dies out in the cold.

The Ant and the Grasshopper - MODERN VERSION:

The ant works hard in the withering heat all summer long, building his house and laying up supplies for the winter. The grasshopper thinks he's a fool, and laughs and dances and plays the summer away.

Come winter, the shivering grasshopper calls a press conference and demands to know why the ant should be allowed to be warm and well fed while others less fortunate are cold and starving. National News shows up to provide pictures of the shivering grasshopper next to a video of the ant in his comfortable home with a table filled with food. The nation is stunned by the sharp contrast. How can this be, that in a country of such wealth, this poor grasshopper is allowed to suffer so?

The opposition parties stage a demonstration in front of the ant's house, where the news stations film the group singing, "We Shall Overcome." A local member of government rants in an interview with celebrity news reporter that the ant has gotten rich off the backs of grasshoppers, and calls for an immediate tax hike on the ant to make him pay his "fair share".

Finally, the Government drafts the Economic Equity and Diversity Grasshopper Act, retroactive to the beginning of the summer. The ant is fined for failing to hire green bugs for help and, having nothing left to pay his retroactive taxes, his home is confiscated by the government. The story ends as we see the grasshopper finishing up the last bits of the ant's food while the government house he is in, which just happens to be the ant's old house, crumbles around him because he doesn't maintain it.

The ant has disappeared in the snow. The grasshopper is found dead in a drug related incident and the house, now abandoned, is taken over by a gang of spiders who terrorize the once peaceful neighborhood.

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

6 hours ago, Schmidt Meister said:

The Ant and the Grasshopper - CLASSIC VERSION:

Come winter, the ant is warm and well fed. The grasshopper has no food or shelter, so he dies out in the cold.

The Ant and the Grasshopper - MODERN VERSION:

Come winter, the shivering grasshopper calls a press conference and demands to know why the ant should be allowed to be warm and well fed while others less fortunate are cold and starving. National News shows up to provide pictures of the shivering grasshopper next to a video of the ant in his comfortable home with a table filled with food. The nation is stunned by the sharp contrast. How can this be, that in a country of such wealth, this poor grasshopper is allowed to suffer so?

The opposition parties stage a demonstration in front of the ant's house, where the news stations film the group singing, "We Shall Overcome." A local member of government rants in an interview with celebrity news reporter that the ant has gotten rich off the backs of grasshoppers, and calls for an immediate tax hike on the ant to make him pay his "fair share".

Finally, the Government drafts the Economic Equity and Diversity Grasshopper Act, retroactive to the beginning of the summer. The ant is fined for failing to hire green bugs for help and, having nothing left to pay his retroactive taxes, his home is confiscated by the government. The story ends as we see the grasshopper finishing up the last bits of the ant's food while the government house he is in, which just happens to be the ant's old house, crumbles around him because he doesn't maintain it.

The ant has disappeared in the snow. The grasshopper is found dead in a drug related incident and the house, now abandoned, is taken over by a gang of spiders who terrorize the once peaceful neighborhood.

Sounds about right  !!

• Like 3

Weed Eaters, Logic And Queers

Two Southern Alabama farmers, Jim and Bob, are sitting at their favorite bar, drinking beer.
Jim turns to Bob and says, "You know, I'm tired of going through life without an education. Tomorrow I think I'll go to the Community College and sign up for some classes."
Bob thinks it's a good idea, and the two leave. The next day, Jim goes down to the college and meets Dean of Admissions, who signs him up for the four basic classes:.........Math, English, History, and Logic.
"Logic?" Jim says. "What's that?"
The dean says, "I'll give you an example. Do you own a weed eater?"
"Yeah."
"Then logically speaking, because you own a weed eater, I think that you would have a yard."
"That's true, I do have a yard."
"I'm not done," the dean says. "Because you have a yard, I think logically that you would have a house."
"Yes, I do have a house."
"And because you have a house, I think that you might logically have a family."
"Yes, I have a family."
"I'm not done yet. Because you have a family, then logically you must have a wife. And because you have a wife, then logic tells me you must be a heterosexual."
"I am a heterosexual. That's amazing, you were able to find out all of that because I have a weed eater."
Excited to take the class now, Jim shakes the Dean's hand and leaves to go meet Bob at the bar. He tells Bob about his classes, how he is signed up for Math, English, History, and Logic.
"Logic?" Bob says, "What's that?"
Jim says, "I'll give you an example. Do you have a weed eater?"
"No."
"Then you're a queer."

• Haha 1

8 hours ago, Schmidt Meister said:

That is a bad azz rat or a cowardly cat. Any one of my wife's cats would have ripped him apart.

1636097699_CatFightingRatForTheFoodBowl.gif

Key to a cat’s success with larger vermin is bite placement. Back of the head pop the neck vertebrae apart and thus break the spinal cord. Requires stealthy cat. 

• Thanks 1