Tank fuel

Hook

So i was wondering about tank fuel like military tanks. This dude at the home heating oil pump the other day asked if i have ever smelled tank fuel. I said no i have not. He went on to say it is a multi fuel and it stinks to high heaven. I dont know i have never been in the military. They would not take me do too medical condition. I thought tanks took regular old diesel. Am i wrong? Hell if i know. School me. I could google it but i trust you guys. 

17 minutes ago, railfancwb said:

Could a stink be added to make theft conspicuous? In rural areas diesel is available in two flavors - with and without road tax. One is dyed - that without the tax if memory serves. 

Train engine fuel is purple, weird looking at wrecks.

• Like 1

IIRC mogas is rather putrid to some people.

Diesel is green/yellow in my AO. Red, if for farm use. All #2 grade.

I didn't know the RR used a color code, but doesn't surprise me. All for tax identification.

I understood the M1 could run on anything from mogas to JP#8. JP#5 common for helicopters, and many turbine engines. I am guessing JP#8 is widely used for air and ground vehicles. Probably smells like straight kerosene, I know the #5 does. Kinda pricey for something that does well on diesel, but they aren't paying the bill. .mil likes to mutifuel their engines as much as possible. They want to use what is most efficient in them when they can, but tough times call for variety.

Edited by LostinTexas

We ran all the trucks and stuff in my unit on JP-8 (so automotive diesel engines, and helicopters (Chinooks and Blackhawks)).  Somewhat comparable to kerosene fuel with additives for use in turbine engines at very high altitudes.  I don't remember it having any particular smell difference compared to diesel or kerosene.  We had tanker trucks to refuel the helicopters, so it was easier to just run the JP-8 in everything than try to keep multiple fuels sorted out.

I was always under the impression that "MOGAS" was motor gasoline, as to not be confused with other vapors or things stored in gaseous form.

Use to use JP 8 in tanks, multi fuel vehicles. MOGAS is minimum octane gasoline, and it is colored as is farm use fuel.

The military has a few different types of JP fuel for different uses, at least use to.

Tanks (turbines) will run on about anything that will burn.