What about gold?

gwalchmai

1 minute ago, Historian said:

Its done well over the years  I remember when gold was selling for $250 an ounce.  It's now well past that amount.

However, I've thought silver was about improve dramatically for a while.

how about when it was $32 per ounce.   Yeah I'm old.......

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Dric902 said:

I’ve always bought more silver than gold. The return has been as good or better.

always good to have some in the safe.

Silver, especially “junk” USA coinage - halves and under - has seemed advantageous up to a point. Routine transactions might be more easily made with such. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, gwalchmai said:

With the passing of this latest Porkulus bill I've asked my advisor to look at moving a portion of my investments into inflation-resistant options. No matter how woke we become, fundamentals is fundamental.

Change my mind.

Day traders make money both ways, not just by shorting the stock market, but by using small cap cappers that don't care about the economy, bond yields, federal injections, etc. You still see at least 10 going up 30% on the day, in average 2 to 3 over 100%, and regularly parabolic runners up to 4,000%. On the day. All you need is a real time scanner, a proper direct routing broker, fast internet, fast computer, and time to learn this strategy. :)

In general, once you get out of the concept of saving and preserving money, and instead working WITH it actively, inflation becomes irrelevant.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

32 minutes ago, Cheygriz said:

Gold and silver are great. but what are you going to do with it if the economy collapses?

Can't very well trade gold bars for groceries.

750 ml bottles of whiskey will be far easier to trade.

Lead and brass, as well, but gold and silver have intrinsic value, too. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Cheygriz said:

Gold and silver are great. but what are you going to do with it if the economy collapses?

Reloading press and supplies for numerous calibers.

‘Bill Gates of the Apocalypse’ 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Cheygriz said:

Or ammunition or cigarettes for that matter.

Once again the advantage of having some “junk” USA silver coins. Widely recognized. Consistent value per unit of a denomination. Dimes are small enough in value to make trading for food items practical.

Some Kennedy halves were 40% silver. Some were 90% silver and all pre-clad coins were 90% silver. I think true silver dollars - Peace and earlier were 90% silver and weigh a bit more than $1 in Dimes and quarters. Don’t offhand where the 90% halves fit weight wise. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, railfancwb said:

Or ammunition or cigarettes for that matter.

Once again the advantage of having some “junk” USA silver coins. Widely recognized. Consistent value per unit of a denomination. Dimes are small enough in value to make trading for food items practical.

Some Kennedy halves were 40% silver. Some were 90% silver and all pre-clad coins were 90% silver. I think true silver dollars - Peace and earlier were 90% silver and weigh a bit more than $1 in Dimes and quarters. Don’t offhand where the 90% halves fit weight wise. 

Looked it up. Peace and Morgan 90% silver dollers equal in weight 10.69 silver dimes. Quarter = 2-1/2 dimes. Half = 5 dimes. The 40% Kennedy half = 2.629 silver dimes. 

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, Walt Longmire said:

Well, at least you sold it at a profit.

Yes. I wouldn't get into that stuff right now for anything! If It tanks again, I'll load up. But I don't expect it's gonna go anywhere near 3 grand again for a long time.

• Like 1