Tourists from the lower 48 in Alaska every summer

I went to a Nascar race in Bristol 12 or so years ago. I had been checking the weather ahead of time, so went prepared. The Nationwide race on Saturday had 2 snow delays. First ever for a nascar race. One delay was bout 2 hours, but the track being steep and only 1/2 mile, they got it cleared and back to racing. I could not believe the percentage of fans that showed up totally unprepared for the weather. I loaned a coat to a gorgeous gal sitting next to me that looked like she was planning for 80 degrees. Her unprepared loser boyfriend got nothing from me. On Sunday, Kurt Bush won that race with better weather. He stopped his car at the finish line and got out, laid on the track and pretended to make a snow angel to cheers from the crowd.

• Haha 2

I own the distinction of having set foot in all 50 states. My youngest daughter too, by the age of twelve. (some states only for hours, we were on the move). 

Our short time in Alaska was only five days or so, in the summer, and only in the southwest peninsula. We walked around in shorts.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, Walt Longmire said:

One delay was bout 2 hours, but the track being steep and only 1/2 mile, they got it cleared and back to racing.

I went to one,  and after the rain stopped,  they started towing blasting jet-engines around on trailers to dry the track.

That got as much drunken whooping cheers as the race.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1