Firewood today

I grew up in the PNW and worked in several different cedar mills cutting nothing but old growth cedar. Then went to work in my families logging business doing the same. I worked 2 summers in high school as a Forest Fire Fighter. During my Sr year, I fudged my age and got a job working swing shift in a cedar mill in Aloha, Wa. Was fun times.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Was thinking about sawing up another load today, then saw a post on FB where a guy had 2 trees taken down in his yard already bucked. Free. He said he would help load. Good thing too cause some pieces were pretty large. One beetle kill and one that was green but the sap is down. Still won't be ready to burn this winter. I'll saw them to the proper length in the spring and load them in the shed. Easy pickings.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Walt Longmire said:

Was thinking about sawing up another load today, then saw a post on FB where a guy had 2 trees taken down in his yard already bucked. Free. He said he would help load. Good thing too cause some pieces were pretty large. One beetle kill and one that was green but the sap is down. Still won't be ready to burn this winter. I'll saw them to the proper length in the spring and load them in the shed. Easy pickings.

Sometimes ya get lucky.

22 hours ago, Maser said:

You would love old saw mills then.  The circular blades were freaking massive! 

As  a kid I used to frequent the Granite cutting sheds in my home town.

They had the most frightening Circular Saw blades (diamond tipped) for cutting Granite. 

They sounded like the shrieking of the most terrifying thing you can imagine.  Without a doubt, they killed the hearing of those who worked with them, or even near them.   The one I saw all the time was about 6 feet in diameter.

For cutting the slabs on the rail car, they used   a slurry and lead balls under a reciprocating heavy steel bar.  The Lead balls (like buckshot) actually cut the Granite.

1 hour ago, janice6 said:

As  a kid I used to frequent the Granite cutting sheds in my home town.

They had the most frightening Circular Saw blades (diamond tipped) for cutting Granite. 

They sounded like the shrieking of the most terrifying thing you can imagine.  Without a doubt, they killed the hearing of those who worked with them, or even near them.   The one I saw all the time was about 6 feet in diameter.

For cutting the slabs on the rail car, they used   a slurry and lead balls under a reciprocating heavy steel bar.  The Lead balls (like buckshot) actually cut the Granite.

We lived 1 mile from the cedar mill at Aloha. Our house was on a hill. We could hear the saws (when we were outside the house) screaming through the wood. Especially at night when they were running multiple shifts.

I love the smell of cedar.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Walt Longmire said:

Looks like stove length. Good looking wood. Should split good with that maul.

Ya it pops apart real well. Lot of those big ones I knock in two with one swing, then just chip them apart. If it was knotty I'd be running a big gas powered splitter.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Lazy R said:

Ya it pops apart real well. Lot of those big ones I knock in two with one swing, then just chip them apart. If it was knotty I'd be running a big gas powered splitter.

I feed a large custom built stove. I cut this knotty old growth spruce and birch at 22-24". I used to hand split it. Uhg. I bought a 27 ton splitter a couple years ago. I did better splitting wood in the PNW when I was younger and the wood was old growth Doug fir, Hemlock and such.

8 hours ago, Batesmotel said:

Just trimming around the yard. But Stihl make great saws. Even the tiny trim saws. 3X the price of crap from big box stores but will last 10X as long. 

I was thinking the same thing.   As a home owner i really don't need a zombie killing saw like Walt's.   It would be lost my skill set anyway.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Historian said:

I was thinking the same thing.   As a home owner i really don't need a zombie killing saw like Walt's.   It would be lost my skill set anyway.

I mostly run an MS460 for my firewood cutting but find my self grabbing the MS260 if the log I'm going to cut is on the smaller side. I carry small saws on the wheeler and keep an older 026 at the cabin.

15 minutes ago, Cheygriz said:

MS171 or equivalent is close to ideal for camping and hunting.

I have packed an MS180 in a pack on a hike in camping trip. Staying at a Refuge cabin. My fellow hikers would pack in their own firewood for these over nighters. I figured the saw was lighter and I could cut all the wood we wanted.