It's getting STUPID

9 minutes ago, Walt Longmire said:

And yet the produce aisle probably looks normal.

:anim_rofl2:there were avocados aplenty! picked up a few red potatoes. The canned goods aisle was barren. I laid in extra sugar, salt, and other staples the other day. Things may get bleak this week.

• Like 1

It is not getting stupid. The stupid has been around us all along, it's just being highlighted now.

You are right about those of us that have been prepared all along. I originally lived in Illinois and learned that an ice or snow storm can shut down an area for days or even weeks, so have always tried to keep 30 to 90 days of supplies on hand.

I escaped that ridiculous liberal land years ago and moved to a less frozen climate, but still always keep a good supply of necessities on hand. It seems to be paying off now!

Edited by jmohme
  • Like 3

2 hours ago, Walt Longmire said:

I need to take my grandson into town today and drop him off for a test. I'll have 2 hours to kill. I think I'll check out a couple stores and see about enlarging my baking supplies. Flour, sugar, baking soda and powder, bisquick, and other such items. 

+ yeast. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Zonny said:

+ yeast. 

Yeast was on my list. I already have all that stuff, but thought I would supplement. Well one trip through the Safeway parking lot was all I needed to convince me to keep going. What a zoo. In Anchorage all bars and restaurants are closed other than take out. We went to DMV. I didn't go in Jesse did, and came right back out. They take your number and text you when it's your turn to come in.

• Like 1
  • Sad 2

I don't think it's stupid to close businesses or cancel events if they are non essential.  I don't think we really know just how bad, or not, C-19 is, and until more is known, it is probably a good move.  The numbers out of Italy are concerning, but I read that the death rate might be because they use fever reducers.  Until the medical community understands the best way to treat the illness, it might be better to be safe than sorry.

I've noticed over the last few years, prep food is becoming more popular and is sold at Costco and Wal-Mart.  I'm wondering if this situation will make more people aware of the need to be prepared, so after this settles down, there may be a bigger demand for prep foods.  

• Like 3

Went to my local Walmart today for some cat food and cat treats and lemonade and snacks. Got another box of trash sacks, but otherwise stayed out of that area. Got everything I went for with little trouble  

Saw a young woman carrying a couple large packages of paper something... toilet paper, towels... Her face had an “I just won...” look. 

• Sad 1

16 minutes ago, PPQer said:

I don't think it's stupid to close businesses or cancel events if they are non essential.  I don't think we really know just how bad, or not, C-19 is, and until more is known, it is probably a good move.  The numbers out of Italy are concerning, but I read that the death rate might be because they use fever reducers.  Until the medical community understands the best way to treat the illness, it might be better to be safe than sorry.

I've noticed over the last few years, prep food is becoming more popular and is sold at Costco and Wal-Mart.  I'm wondering if this situation will make more people aware of the need to be prepared, so after this settles down, there may be a bigger demand for prep foods.  

This is true, but only until the next "shiny" thing is found, then onto some new panic.

I beginning to believe that to understand the general public you have to look to squirrels for understanding.

• Like 4

1 minute ago, janice6 said:

This is true, but only until the next "shiny" thing is found, then onto some new panic.

I beginning to believe that to understand the general public you have to look to squirrels for understanding.

Particularly that part of squirrel behavior which makes them run back and forth on the road until finally the car hits them. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

28 minutes ago, janice6 said:

Nope. Squirrels are prepared. The only conclusion I can come to with the hoarding, is that most people only have a few days of supplies on hand.

• Like 3

49 minutes ago, Walt Longmire said:

Nope. Squirrels are prepared. The only conclusion I can come to with the hoarding, is that most people only have a few days of supplies on hand.

Most people make a three trips a week to to the grocer/

• Like 2