Today on the back 40

gwalchmai

1 hour ago, astepup said:

I've lived in Iowa my entire life so you'd think I'd be used to snow and ice. It still sucks.

I love the 30°, two-foot deep snow,  with huge fluffy flakes drifting down.

I hate the 4°,  30mph wind,  crunch-crunch-crunch across the frozen tundra at 4am,  going to the car.  That isn't going to start.

(I work outside.  Up in the air.  I hate the cold.  But I love the challenge.  I hate doing it,  but I love having done it. 

Suck It, Cold.)

(my record is -37°,  outside all day.  Vermont?, or Maine?,  or some other such demon place.)

• Sad 2

7 hours ago, Huaco Kid said:

I hate the 4°,  30mph wind,  crunch-crunch-crunch across the frozen tundra at 4am,  going to the car.  That isn't going to start.

I remember the cold mornings in Montana when I'd crank my Toyota pickup and it would shudder through the entire frame. And the ice that clung onto my beard was screaming agony. :supergrin:

• Like 3

That is absolutely beautiful. Can't wait to live in a place that offers a mix of four real seasons.

Speaking of snow, they shut down Keystone Ski resort in Central Colorado yesterday because THERE WAS TOO MUCH SNOW. At a ski resort. Mind, blown.

Railfan mentioned the snowbird life. looks like I might have the chance at doing something like that, but still be able to work. Thinking Apr-Sept in the Rockies, Oct-Dec in Alaska, and Jan-Mar in Florida.

• Like 1

I'm glad I got to wear out a ton of snow machines riding on the refuge for a few decades. Some of the best memories ever. I still get out there once in a while, but it's difficult to find other people that want to go. The younger ones can't get off their phone long enough. The old guys like me are getting stove up and don't want to get off the couch. Football is on. Or nascar, or some other lame excuse.

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, Huaco Kid said:

That's what she said.

And I'm still not sure why.

There was a prison full of long-timers. A new inmate was brought in. As he was being walked to his cell, someone yelled “37” and a peal of laughter resulted. Then “45” and more laughter. New inmate asked the guard what that was about. “Punch lines for jokes.”

”That’s what she said.” is another version. 

30 minutes ago, DrB said:

Not my neighbors trees.  I saw in an earlier post and was curious as to what the trees in the picture are.

Dave

I meant for gwalch to ask the trees what they were.

:biggrin:

Not every joke is a winner.  :sigh:

Edited by tous
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1