Moose traps Alaska man inside shed while he frantically calls wife

TBO

I went out in the dark early one winter morning to get the paper. In my pajamas and slippers. I was planning to be out less than a minute. I got ambushed by a moose. We did a few laps around the pickup and played dodge for a bit. Truck was locked and the moose was between me and the front door to the house. Of course I didn't have my cell phone either. Finally when the moose came around the other side of the truck, I made a break for the house. My wife (now ex wife) asked what took me so long out there.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

5 hours ago, tadbart said:

I'd bet my left nut that there are more moose-related injuries in Alaska in any random year than bear-related injuries in the whole USA.

You can keep your left nut. This is common knowledge in Alaska. In fact there is currently a radio ad running about being careful around moose and the ad mentions that more people are injured here by moose than by bears.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Huaco Kid said:

A pack of firecrackers,  in your back pocket,  would have either sent him running like a scalded cat,  or gotten your ass stomped into goo.

I have shot them with 'cracker shells' and it often times just pisses them off. I have use flare guns, wrist rockets with marbles, and my bow shooting blunts. 

We've got elk,  north of here (I never threw firecrackers at them).

I've seen them walk right into our bonfire, at night.  They don't care.

Then, usually, they just move along.

But,  they might suddenly hate a certain car,  or the garbage cans,  and go berserk.

That's when all the drunk people scramble over each other, running away.

On 1/19/2020 at 3:32 AM, tadbart said:

I'd bet my left nut that there are more moose-related injuries in Alaska in any random year than bear-related injuries in the whole USA.

I don’t know if I’ve spent more miles chasing bull moose, or being chased by cow moose. But I bet they’re close. 

21 hours ago, Walt Longmire said:

I have shot them with 'cracker shells' and it often times just pisses them off. I have use flare guns, wrist rockets with marbles, and my bow shooting blunts. 

I use rubber buck shot or slugs to move them along from my fence. 

10 minutes ago, AK_Stick said:

I don’t know if I’ve spent more miles chasing bull moose, or being chased by cow moose. But I bet they’re close. 

I was riding my mountain bike down a paved bike path in Soldotna when a forked horn bull came out of the brush after me. Lance Armstrong would have been proud of how I pedaled that bike. The hoof beats on the asphalt behind me were great motivation.

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

Every Alaskan I know, (a considerable few, seein' how I live in the opposite corner of the country) has a critter story or two.

Most of the stories involve Bullwinkle.

The bear stories are just "Oh, I was fishing the Russian River, and a brown bear was fishing near me. I gave him some room when he ambled past." The moose stories are more adventurous.

• Like 1

A long time ago i saw a film of a near sighted young make mouse that feel in love or lust with a small red imported car.   The car was a total loss.

After he was done:  The destroyed car was an insurance claim.

I've always wondered if there was a clause for moose screwed my car.

On 1/19/2020 at 2:37 PM, Huaco Kid said:

A pack of firecrackers,  in your back pocket,  would have either sent him running like a scalded cat,  or gotten your ass stomped into goo.

Simply rule.  Either or, neither nor.  Frankly I'd look for something with a better outcome.