What's For New Year Eve's Dinner?

DrB

2 hours ago, Maser said:

The Maser homestead decided to go silly this year and we are all having TV dinners tonight.  Hopefully the wife and I can entertain the kids by arguing whether the oven or microwave does a better job at cooking the food.  :D

Truth be told, I like TV dinners.  The only drawback to me is that I might have to have two to get enough.  

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, tous said:

Any skrimps involved?

Wouldn't be gumbo without skrimps. Speaking of which, Mrs. G sent me down to the Costco yesterday morning alone (always a bad idea) and I brought home a pound of skrimp cocktails for lunch. Then this morning we were going out to pick up some collards and beans and hamhocks for tomorrow, and we saw our local seafood trailer was open so Mrs. G bought some more skrimps and red snappers (they were out of crab). So she's makin' gumbo with skrimps and andouille, and lots of okra, a little lima bean and corn, and lots of spicys. :supergrin:

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, gwalchmai said:

Wouldn't be gumbo without skrimps. Speaking of which, Mrs. G sent me down to the Costco yesterday morning alone (always a bad idea) and I brought home a pound of skrimp cocktails for lunch. Then this morning we were going out to pick up some collards and beans and hamhocks for tomorrow, and we saw our local seafood trailer was open so Mrs. G bought some more skrimps and red snappers (they were out of crab). So she's makin' gumbo with skrimps and andouille, and lots of okra, a little lima bean and corn, and lots of spicys. :supergrin:

I sounds good, but my only experience with Gumbo was in a place in Panama City Beach, where the guy came from NO.  He had his first business there, and when I asked how long he cooked it ('cause it was so good)  he laughed and said he never stops cooking it, just adds to it often. 

And my comments about this dish is from a person that hates seafood with a passion.  It was fantastic.

Edited by janice6
  • Like 3

8 minutes ago, gwalchmai said:

What time is supper?

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, janice6 said:

I sounds good, but my only experience with Gumbo was in a place in Panama City Beach, where the guy came from NO.  He had his first business there, and when I asked how long he cooked it ('cause it was so good)  he laughed and said he never stops cooking it, just adds to it often. 

And my comments about this dish is from a person that hates seafood with a passion.  It was fantastic.

My Uncle Foots used to make Brunrick stew like that. You just keep it simmerin' and occasionally throw in whatever walks by too slow to get away.

Edited by gwalchmai
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

My Uncle Foots used to make Brunrick stew like that. You just keep it simmerin' and occasionally throw in whatever walks by too slow to get away.

Remember this was in Panama City Beach.  It was disconcerting when, as I was talking with him, he nonchalantly smashed a Roach running across the bar.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, BamaBud said:

In Panama City, they're called "Palmetto Bugs."

I heard that term used in Charleston, SC while I was there, they also called them "Charleston Roaches". But everyone in Panama City  I worked with, simply called them Roaches.  They were everywhere.  I left a new hotel on the beach because they were so thick in my the room.  it was a race to use the shower while they ran down the drain when the light came on.

I mentioned this to the guys at the Mine Warfare Research Center  the next day, and they were surprised.  They said that Roaches were a product of everyday life there and they were everywhere.

Since I'm from Minnesota and my father had to fumigate the rental houses twice to get rid of Roaches, I'm not accustomed to them.

Edited by janice6

I lived in Gainesville for three years. Once I was walking through the yard and noticed a doormat slung over a tree limb. I casually flipped it over and it was ALIVE with 3" Palmetto Bugs, and they RAN UP MY ARM!!!!!

After a period of discontinuity I regained consciousness on the porch about 20 yards away, just standing there shuddering uncontrollably. I think I covered the distance in one leap. Thankfully, I guess the bugs were shaken off. ?

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, gwalchmai said:

I lived in Gainesville for three years. Once I was walking through the yard and noticed a doormat slung over a tree limb. I casually flipped it over and it was ALIVE with 3" Palmetto Bugs, and they RAN UP MY ARM!!!!!

After a period of discontinuity I regained consciousness on the porch about 20 yards away, just standing there shuddering uncontrollably. I think I covered the distance in one leap. Thankfully, I guess the bugs were shaken off. ?

They are EVERYWHERE here...

• Sad 1

Creepy aren't they.

• Like 1