Stoopit Phone Problems

tadbart

My Samsung Galaxy s7 has been going into a boot loop intermittently today. It keeps trying to start up, seizes, and reboots, over and over again for hours. Then, it'll be fine for 20 minutes. In those in-between times, I've been emailing the important stuff to myself. I've tried a couple data-saving back-door ways to reset, and all have failed. Pondering a hard reset, and the loss of data that comes with that. Sure, lost of stuff goes to the cloud, but I'll still have to go find the apps I have, and set the phone back up.

Sometimes, I hate all this technology...

• Like 3

Just now, tadbart said:

My Samsung Galaxy s7 has been going into a boot loop intermittently today. It keeps trying to start up, seizes, and reboots, over and over again for hours. Then, it'll be fine for 20 minutes. In those in-between times, I've been emailing the important stuff to myself. I've tried a couple data-saving back-door ways to reset, and all have failed. Pondering a hard reset, and the loss of data that comes with that. Sure, lost of stuff goes to the cloud, but I'll still have to go find the apps I have, and set the phone back up.

Sometimes, I hate all this technology...

I don't know about the Galaxy, but I put all my apps and misc crap on the SD card then move it when needed.  I also keep a copy of the SD card on my computer.

• Like 1

I use the Samsung program called Kies for backups and restores.  You download it (free) to a laptop/desktop, plug the phone in by USB and it shows as a drive.

I select full backup, and it does it's thing.  I have an old S3 and it works good.

Never tried the restore option, but the backup is easy.  Maybe try it if your phone is in a death spiral.  Best of luck.

Edited by Peng
  • Like 2

When my phone started doing random restarts every few minutes, I pulled the battery, held down the power key for about 30 seconds to hopefully drain any capacitors, then inserted battery and started it.  Resolved the issue for a few weeks to a couple months before doing it again.

Hasn't done it to me again since an update 3 months ago.

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, Cougar_ml said:

When my phone started doing random restarts every few minutes, I pulled the battery, held down the power key for about 30 seconds to hopefully drain any capacitors, then inserted battery and started it.  Resolved the issue for a few weeks to a couple months before doing it again.

Hasn't done it to me again since an update 3 months ago.

Perhaps it was a known "unpublished" problem that the update resolved?

• Like 2

I miss those old Nokia phones. Texting sucked, hitting the 7 four times for an S, but those things were TANKS! These little handheld computers that just so happen to have a phone option, are so delicate (or have purposely built-in shelf life)..

I've never lost an installed APP to a hard reset. If there is data that hasn't been saved, then it's gone. If you emailed it to yourself it is in the mailbox. If you downloaded it, it is still in the mail box, even if deleted it will show up in Trash, that is not a function of the phone, it is a separate entity.

If things are going wrong, don't continue to do things with them. You are just setting yourself up for problems. Reboot, go to Device Maintenance in Settings and run that, cleaning what it suggests. If you are still getting loopy service, then the phone may be taking a dump. It happens and they are over used by many to start with. Android can handle the load, but the machine may not be able to as well as a tablet or the like.

• Like 2

First, verbal abuse.

Then, large metal tools.

I have never had a device fail to respond to the above, but they don't want to know what follows the large metal tool.

Hint:  I show them my boxes of salvaged parts.  They understand.

Edited by tous
  • Haha 1

Look online.  There's a way to fix it.  My Wife did it today and I had to do it to my S6 Active once too.  Her main problem was the battery draining in less than half a day.  Problem solved.  I don't remember where it is or what it was I did and I'm not asking my Wife because...………….well, you know.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Wrango said:

Look online.  There's a way to fix it.  My Wife did it today and I had to do it to my S6 Active once too.  Her main problem was the battery draining in less than half a day.  Problem solved.  I don't remember where it is or what it was I did and I'm not asking my Wife because...………….well, you know.

You right, it amazing how many solutions you can find online.

Edited by pipedreams