What Gave You A Love For Reading Books If You Have?

DrB

For me, my mom took me and my sister to the library every week in the summer when we were off school.  Farm folks but mom made us read.  We had to get books to read each week.
For me I read every Hardy Boy book they had.  Mom also had us order some paperbacks from an order form some company that the school had send us.  I loved getting those paperbacks.  Twice each summer when the list came we could look over the list and order two each.  I carried those paperbacks in my back pocket and would read under the shade of a tree when my chores were done. 
The memories of the shade of a tree, the big blue sky with a few cotton clouds overhead and that paperback book remains with me always as a young boy.
In High School in English Class we read Animal Farm and 1984 By George Orwell.  Also Edgar Allen Poe, The Tell-Tale Heart and the Pit and the Pendulum come to mind for a few.
Many more...  I thank my Mom and my English teachers for giving me the love of books.  How about you?
Dave.

A lot like your background. Shortly after getting a basic Schwinn bicycle I got a handlebar basket so I could carry books to/from the library. Hardy Boys, Tarzan, Tom Sawyer, Robin Hood, and many more fiction and factual. The various Walter Farley books featuring horses, the first of which was Black Stallion. Discovered Heinlein and his juvenile books at the library. And railroad books.

Still addicted. Own far more books than I can possibly read during my remaining time. Have given a few to our library to sell or add to its collection, and need to give many more. Should start selling some more specialized ones on eBay.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, railfancwb said:

Have given a few to our library to sell or add to its collection, and need to give many more. Should start selling some more specialized ones on eBay.

I give mine away to those who show an interest.  Hope I can carry the love of books in print forward. If just one, mission accomplished.

Dave.

• Like 2

Indeed.
Few things are as comforting as the feel and smell of a book, the process of turning pages, marking a spot with a piece of old cardboard.
Give me paper or give me death.

I have found that, for me, 1/3 of a blown in magazine subscription card makes a perfect bookmark.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 3

right now im reading  samuel  l jacksons  book  ,  Go the **** to sleep  .

honestly never got into the book thing , i can count on my hand the books ive read , now my wife has an extensive library  , and our grandkid Piper  is 3 and reading   ,in fact at 3 she has read more books then me ,  i do not have patience .  

Edited by ASH
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 1

3 minutes ago, ASH said:

honestly never got into the book thing , i can count on my hand the books ive read , now my wife has an extensive library  , and our grandkid Piper  is 3 and reading   ,in fact at 3 she has read more books then me ,  i do not have patience .  

Perhaps you've not found your interest, yet?

• Like 1

Two of mine I am revisiting that were handed down to me from my grandparents. "Bring'Em Back Alive" by Frank Buck and "Six Years In the Malay Jungle" by Carveth Wells.  Old but probably not well known books.

Dave.

• Like 1

I really got into book binding for a while because of the love of books.  It was fun to find an old book in a thrift store or some place that you knew could be saved if someone would give it a decent cover.

Books are art.  They truly are.  And the only thing I think we bond with as much are guns.

You can never have too many books, whiskey or ammunition. But we can try.

• Like 5

4 minutes ago, Historian said:

You can never have too many books, whiskey or ammunition. But we can try.

I'll drink to that........ You  forgot, .......or Firearms......

Dave...

Edited by DrB
  • Like 3

I remember one book I read in the late 40's.  It was an amazing two stories and in a book about 3 or more inches thick.  The author was Edgar Rice Burroughs.

It was a "Big Little" book and one of my all time favorites.  On one side the story was, "Tarzan".  On the other side was, "John Carter" of Mars.  To this day John Carter is one of my favorite stories.  I keep watching the excellent  movie made of it on Cable, and occasionally on late night TV.  The movie bombed.

If I had to list my top favorite books you guys would laugh at me.  They are all Electrical Engineering Technical Reference texts.  I have given many to my son.  I hope he sees what I did in them.  Some call them dry, to me Electric and Magnetic fields From DC to light comprised much of my career.  I have been fascinated by their manipulation my whole life.  To me they are stories of how to do things.

Along side of them is "The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy".  When you actually pay attention to the dialogue, it's brilliant and each farcical comment has roots in statistics and probability theory.  I love the digs for "experts" in the story.

So I'm pretty dull, I guess.  But I like me, and don't intend to change.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, janice6 said:

Huh!  I thought I posted this but I can't find it:

“If, after I depart this vale, you ever remember me and have thought to please my ghost, forgive some sinner and wink your eye at some homely girl.” "Epitaph" from Smart Set (December 1921) H.L. Mencken

Yes you did. This is the second time this morning that I read it. tom.:tree:

Edited by deputy tom
  • Sad 1

Funny thing about reading... the more you read, the better you write. My advice to younger employees who wanted to improve their writing skills (and there’s a topic for another thread) was to read as a hobby. Fiction, non-fiction, didn’t matter. I’ve always believed that you adopted some of the styles of other writers by reading more. 

Edited by TXUSMC
Spelling
  • Like 1

Just now, deputy tom said:

Yes. tom. :tree:

Just the new testament.  As a kid I had different churches in town telling me different things, so I decided to find out for myself.

What I found was that each denomination was saying that only they were the "right one".  Once I realized that, I decided to practice my faith from my own readings and not from what some person told me was true!

I'm not obsessive about religion.  However, I do believe in the premise that you should treat others as they treat you.  Another variation of my belief, is that I will walk the ridgeline and give you a free shot.  After that...…….. YOUR MINE!

Edited by janice6
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, TXUSMC said:

Funny thing about reading... the more you read, the better you write. My advice to younger employees who wanted to improve their writing skills (and there’s a topic for another thread) was to read as a hobby. 

This is outstanding advice. 

• Thanks 2