My Steak Sickened a Vegan

Eric

5 minutes ago, Walt Longmire said:

They're open. Ate there last week.

Burger Bus is E8DgrvnREXQ.png?_nc_eui2=AeEx0yOi3hBXhrWfeeling grateful.
29 mins · 

Happy holidays to everyone! 

First, we wanted to remind everyone that we are closed for the season, but will be back in March 2020! 

Second, the biggest thank you to everyone for all your continued support, patience, and lots of understanding during 2019. It certainly was a year of challenges and surprises for us and others, and we’re so very thankful for how amazing you all are. 

Looking forward to an exciting and wonderful 2020, and wishing the same to you! Thank you and have a great winter!

Went there twice last summer and tried to call several times. Could not find them open. Could you send me a burger?  LOL

Edited by Zonny
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, Zonny said:
Burger Bus is E8DgrvnREXQ.png?_nc_eui2=AeEx0yOi3hBXhrWfeeling grateful.
29 mins · 

Happy holidays to everyone! 

First, we wanted to remind everyone that we are closed for the season, but will be back in March 2020! 

Second, the biggest thank you to everyone for all your continued support, patience, and lots of understanding during 2019. It certainly was a year of challenges and surprises for us and others, and we’re so very thankful for how amazing you all are. 

Looking forward to an exciting and wonderful 2020, and wishing the same to you! Thank you and have a great winter!

Went there twice last summer and tried to call several times. Could not find them open. Could you send me a burger?  LOL

If you call and they don't answer, it's because they are swamped. 

One of my first nights in Anchorage,  I walked through crotch-deep snow to get to Gwennies Old Alaska Restaurant (I had to google-maps that).  I'm guessing I had crab, or seafood, or crab, or moosebutt, or something delicious.  Then I went to the bar.

When I'm buzzed,  I get chatty (No!), so I went to the back and introduced myself to a table full of local lumberjacks, or cowboys, or goldminers, or whoever they were.

They were very friendly and I was having a great time.

Then the eruption happened. 

The owner was putting signs all over saying "Employees Are Not Allowed To Smoke On The Property".  The girl bartender was flipping mad.  From the ruckus,  we learned that someone had flicked a butt by the back door and burned the neighbor's fence down.  Employees would have to go across the street to smoke.  The girl was going bananas.  She threatened to quit right now,  but the owner laughed and said he had twenty applications on his desk and could replace her in ten minutes. 

Then he left.

The girl slammed around for a couple of minutes,  cussing up a storm,  and said, "F Him!"

Then she locked the door,  grabbed armfulls of bottles off the shelf,  put them on our table,  and sat down.

So we all got smashed for free.

I had a greater time.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• Administrators
1 hour ago, Huaco Kid said:

One of my first nights in Anchorage,  I walked through crotch-deep snow to get to Gwennies Old Alaska Restaurant (I had to google-maps that).  I'm guessing I had crab, or seafood, or crab, or moosebutt, or something delicious.  Then I went to the bar.

When I'm buzzed,  I get chatty (No!), so I went to the back and introduced myself to a table full of local lumberjacks, or cowboys, or goldminers, or whoever they were.

They were very friendly and I was having a great time.

Then the eruption happened. 

The owner was putting signs all over saying "Employees Are Not Allowed To Smoke On The Property".  The girl bartender was flipping mad.  From the ruckus,  we learned that someone had flicked a butt by the back door and burned the neighbor's fence down.  Employees would have to go across the street to smoke.  The girl was going bananas.  She threatened to quit right now,  but the owner laughed and said he had twenty applications on his desk and could replace her in ten minutes. 

Then he left.

The girl slammed around for a couple of minutes,  cussing up a storm,  and said, "F Him!"

Then she locked the door,  grabbed armfulls of bottles off the shelf,  put them on our table,  and sat down.

So we all got smashed for free.

I had a greater time.

Is this the thread you intended to post this message in?

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Eric said:

Is this the thread you intended to post this message in?

Yes.

No.  Maybe. 

Can you repeat the question?

The Alaska guy was talking about his food.  Then they asked about the Alaska restaurant.

And,  that's, kind of, where I went with it.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 12/28/2019 at 7:23 PM, janice6 said:

It's interesting to me that a "trained" Chef has so much trouble cooking Steak the way I like it, yet my wife can do it to perfection every single time.

The chef will explain, in exquisite detail, how you are eating steak incorrectly. What a “real” steak will look like, and how you are a fool for eating it differently.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, Dric902 said:

The chef will explain, in exquisite detail, how you are eating steak incorrectly. What a “real” steak will look like, and how you are a fool for eating it differently.

Absolutely.

When I left home it was the last time I let someone tell me how to eat and prepare food so they liked it instead of me, my mother or father.

If a Chef is the master of the kitchen, as they claim, why do they have such a hard time preparing food to MY liking?  Is it because they don't know how to prepare it in any other way than to their preference.  Not too skilled, if this is the reason.

If they feel the compulsion to tell others how their food should be prepared regardless of how other like their food, it's presumptuous of them, and again implies that they may not have the skill set to satisfy all diners.

To me, a really skilled Chef will prepare my meal in the manner I prefer it done, to the best of their ability.   Skill in food preparation is in satisfying those eating the meal!

Edited by janice6

On 12/20/2019 at 8:12 PM, Zonny said:

He must have come for the baked potato. Hold the butter, sour cream & cheese. :(

BTW...I'm with you. Medium rare all the way.

On 12/20/2019 at 8:09 PM, Eric said:

I went to Texas Roadhouse tonight. I meant to get a burger, but when I walked past the meats displayed in the front, I fell in love with a beautiful cut of Filet Mignon. So, I tagged it and was seated. I ordered the steak cooked medium rare.

Right before my dinner was served, a twenty-something couple was seated beside me. It was one of those sets of tables that share a common bench on one side, so they were pretty close. When my food arrived, I cut into the steak and dug in.

I’ve never considered Texas Roadhouse to be a true steakhouse, but that steak was an outstanding cut of meat and it was prepared just right. I was enjoying the second or third bite, when I heard the ‘man’ next to me stage-whisper to the girl, “I think I’m going to be sick.” I looked over at him and he said, “The steak is still bleeding.” I told him that I was pretty sure it was dead. He then told me he was a Vegan and he wasn’t accustomed to seeing bloody meat. I told him, “You are in a steakhouse.”

The waitress appeared a few moments later to see how my dinner was. The guy interrupted her and asked for a different table. It wasn’t even their waitress. What a little bitch. The girl he was with looked mortified by his behavior. Maybe she will rethink things before she lets him pollute our gene pool.

As the joke says, “How can you tell if someone is a Vegan?” They will tell you. I don’t care what other people eat. I just wish they would keep their dogma to themselves.

For what it’s worth, that was a truly amazing steak. It’s the best I’ve had in several years. It tasted even better after that beta got triggered by it. 

At a damn Texas Roadhouse.   That's a riot.

On 12/20/2019 at 8:55 PM, Dric902 said:

You should have taken his girl

saved her from a terrible decision with a pajama boy

I'd say what BGH should have done, but you can get arrested for that sort of thing......

On 12/20/2019 at 9:56 PM, Fnfalman said:

Was she hot?

Overdue question.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

• 5 weeks later...
3 minutes ago, railfancwb said:

Once upon a time there were bunches of steak houses pointed toward the working class customer. 

Bonanza, Ponderosa, Western Sizzling, and no doubt others. A few of those names still exist, mostly in tourist areas I think. 

Been to most of them.   You could get an Ok, decent, steak sometimes.   Better than, i dunno.  Well.  Actually.  I've had a few good ones there.

Not top shelf.  But...when you need something filling and decent.

Great memory.

• Administrators
6 minutes ago, railfancwb said:

Once upon a time there were bunches of steak houses pointed toward the working class customer. 

Bonanza, Ponderosa, Western Sizzling, and no doubt others. A few of those names still exist, mostly in tourist areas I think. 

There used to be a steakhouse in Arizona called Timberlodge Steak House. There was more than one of them, but I don’t know how widespread they were.

they made great steaks and large, excellent side dishes. Their claim to fame was their chocolate cake though. It was so large large that one slice was enough for five or six people. It was ginormous. They closed down years ago. I miss that place. 

1 minute ago, Eric said:

There used to be a steakhouse in Arizona called Timberlodge Steak House. There was more than one of them, but I don’t know how widespread they were.

they made great steaks and large, excellent side dishes. Their claim to fame was their chocolate cake though. It was so large large that one slice was enough for five or six people. It was ginormous. They closed down years ago. I miss that place. 

Like the old Steak and Ale...yeah...time gone by, right?  Like when Howard Johnson's was a big deal for eating at.

• Administrators
Just now, Historian said:

Like the old Steak and Ale...yeah...time gone by, right?  Like when Howard Johnson's was a big deal for eating at.

I remember Steak and Ale, but I was never a fan. Any more, I usually prefer to just make my own steak. I can pick out a great cut and with my Sous Vide cooker, it is perfect every time.

1 minute ago, Eric said:

I remember Steak and Ale, but I was never a fan. Any more, I usually prefer to just make my own steak. I can pick out a great cut and with my Sous Vide cooker, it is perfect every time.

Sous vide is like cheating.  But still right. Especially, if you have a thick hard to cook cut.

I make a great steak myself.  I go to the store and buy it.  Then take it home.  Mrs. Historian says, "Ohhhh, wow..." and cooks it.

Then i eat it.

Thus the perfect steak.

Edited by Historian
  • Like 3