My Steak Sickened a Vegan

Eric

• Administrators

My next adventure is to dry age my own steaks. I found a company online that sells dry aging bags for cuts of beef that are supposed to be idiot-proof. I just received my order from them and now I am going to find a nice boneless ribeye roast to try the bags on. I’ll let you know how it turns out, in a couple of months. 

• Administrators
1 minute ago, Historian said:

Sous vide is like cheating.  But still right. Especially, if you have a thick hard to cook cut.

I make a great steak myself.  I go to the store and buy it.  Then take it home.  Mrs. Historian says, "Ohhhh, wow..." and cooks it.

Then i eat it.

Thus the perfect steak.

I suck at cooking meats, for some reason. I always have and have tried a lot of techniques and gadgetry to find a leg-up on this problem. The Sous Vide cooker is the first thing I have ever tried that works perfectly and it absolutely repeatable every time I use it. What this cooker does with poultry, beef, pork, etc is truly amazing. You can safely prepare and eat medium-rare pork with this process. I cook turkey to 146 degrees safely and the texture is out of this world.

Hell, you can pasteurize eggs so they are still essentially raw, but completely safe to eat. You can make raw cookie dough with eggs and not give anyone food poisoning. You can take a really average, even tough roast, cook it for twent-five or thirty hours and end up with something that measures up to the texture of the best prime rim you ever had. it is a great system and I am glad to have found it.

Now, I am hungry for a steak.