Well, I'm now among the Glocktalk BANNED Brigade

michael_b

2 minutes ago, SC Tiger said:

Bet I can guess who......

Surface Warfare?

I will neither confirm nor deny.  I don't see the point of bringing GT's antagonism to this website.  However, if similar threats were to be posted on this forum, then I will keep on doing my "thing".  

• Like 3

13 hours ago, jame said:

Why is it such a badge of honor to be banned from a website?  

I’m not trying to be overly critical, but it seems to me that if the owner of the place tells you to get your boots off the coffee table, you do it.

I consider it more humorous rather than a badge of honor.  So many power hungry admins out there who are so delusional and juvenile, they actually think a ban does something and makes a person they don't like disappear forever.  There is no such thing as a ban on the internet.  Period!  The only way a ban works is if the person who got banned decides to stay away.  I still find it hilarious in this day and age that admins will still try and use an IP ban.  IP bans haven't been effective since the early 2000s.  Without a doubt the funniest ban I ever got as far as gun forums goes is way back when I was like 15 or 16 and at a 1911 forum and I posted a pic of a new CO2 pistol I got.  I go back the next day to check on my thread and I get the banned screen saying I'm banned for "promoting illegal weapons".  This was during a time where lots of gun forums were cracking down on underage members and giving them the boot, but not telling them the real reason, but rather making up fake excuses.  Makes sense because it's a really stupid thing to do at a gun forum where it's important to pass the shooting sports and 2A in general to the next generation, but yet not allow the next generation to participate, so they really had no choice but to make up BS excuses why a minor is banned.  My most recent ban is at a trapshooting forum where my only offense there was just simply being me.  A handful of Leftist regulars there didn't like me at another gun forum and couldn't get me banned there so they did the next best thing and made up lies about me to get me banned at the trapshooting site.  Was hilarious dealing with the autistic admin who banned me because he's so bad at lying and couldn't keep his stories straight.  I took it upon myself to play detective and find out what really happened.  The idiots who lied about me were so stupid they bragged about it so much that I got alerted about it and got a nice small list of the people involved.  Needless to say I wasn't surprised about who was involved.  

Anyways, yeah it can be pretty entertaining and humorous.   

• Administrators

When I was in elementary school, I used to get in trouble a lot. There seemed to always be a bit of drama brewing with someone and the teachers spent a lot of time chewing on my ass. Every time I was confronted, I responded with righteous indignation. It was always the other guy's fault and I would tell the teacher why the other guy(s) were the ones in the wrong. In sixth grade, I had a teacher listen to my explanation and then say, "Be that as it may, why is it always you and someone else?" I didn't have an answer for that, but I gave it a lot of thought. Then I grew up.

I imagine that most forum admins are a lot like me. They have invested a great deal of time and expense to create a place to hang out and they want it to run smoothly. I want people to mind their manners here. I imagine that is what most forum admins want. Anyone thinking that what I, or other admins do is a power trip hasn't done the math. I'm not sure what anyone would think the incentive would be for such a thing. Dealing with problem posters just frustrates and disheartens me. There is absolutely no enjoyment to be had for me in having to deal with someone starting trouble on my site. Not here and not on GT, when I ran it. It is nothing but an aggravating chore and I would prefer not to have to mess with it. Some people will always be determined to push things though and there will always be messes to clean up.

I think that the vast majority of forum admins would agree with me on this subject. We just want to run our sites, not slug it out with knuckleheads. Are there admins out there that enjoy the adversarial part of things? Admins that derive some enjoyment from lording their authority over others? Of course there are. I believe though that such people are a very small minority of the people who choose to runs sites like this. Admins will run their sites with varying degrees of skill, temperament and senses of fairness. There are a lot of different kinds of people and each will do a job like this according to their talents and their nature. I think that damned few of them though get off on pushing others around though.

When one guy gets in trouble on many sites, what is the common denominator? Maser, I bear you no ill will and I am not trying to pick a fight with you, but I think you need to look hard at yourself, if you want to know where the source of the problems you encounter truly lies. I sincerely doubt that so many admins took it on themselves to come after you at random.

I am not a fan of those that enjoy starting trouble or that enjoy witnessing & participating in the turmoil it creates. I did not build this site to indulge such proclivities. I will not ever run a site that sanctions such behavior and that includes using this site to bash other sites and their members. I have made a real effort to be a more laid back and easygoing admin here, but there are some things that are not allowable or negotiable.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

14 hours ago, ASH said:

.                                                                                                               Now back to weather .it's ****ing 24 degrees here tonight. Brrrrrrr. My old bones feel it.  

As Bill Clinton used to say, "I feel your pain."  My bones went from a two day notification of weather, to a three day notification.  Before this storm hit today, I felt like a black mamba last night. They have been known to be so irritable in a earthquake that they bite themselves and die.  Touching various body parts to other body parts pissed me off.  All the nerves were on fire.  I felt like Talladega Nights when he was running around screaming like he was on fire when he wasn't.  Getting older, and being tore up from the floor up, is for people who actually have the will to see another day.  Potential happiness like a carrot on a stick keeps me going.

90% of the mods I've ever delt with (and I've been a mod on 2 boards) don't let a little power go to their heads and they just evenly enforce the rules. They don't selectively allow individuals to skirt the rules while hammering others for personal reasons. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Eric said:

it creates. I did not build this site to indulge such proclivities. I will not ever run a site that sanctions such behavior and that includes using this site to bash other sites and their members. I have made a real effort to be a more laid back and easygoing admin here, but there are some things that are not allowable or negotiable.

So this is something up with which you shall not put.

2 hours ago, Dave514 said:

90% of the mods I've ever delt with (and I've been a mod on 2 boards) don't let a little power go to their heads and they just evenly enforce the rules. They don't selectively allow individuals to skirt the rules while hammering others for personal reasons. 

And we know who and why don't we Dave lol378351833_images(7).jpg.9fee305d53f6577843163ee20437fa13.jpg

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Fnfalman said:

I will neither confirm nor deny.  I don't see the point of bringing GT's antagonism to this website.  However, if similar threats were to be posted on this forum, then I will keep on doing my "thing".  

Agreed.  Good call.

I went over to GT yesterday for some reloading questions.  That particular sub-forum at least is still really, really good.  Got lots of posts and lots of help.  So if we're gonna bash what's bad, we need to also acknowledge what's good.  

Was in the Okie for a while too and it wasn't too bad.  But I never really pushed the envelope there like some of you delinquents.....

Edited by SC Tiger
  • Like 1

On 11/7/2019 at 4:25 PM, Eric said:

When I was in elementary school, I used to get in trouble a lot. There seemed to always be a bit of drama brewing with someone and the teachers spent a lot of time chewing on my ass. Every time I was confronted, I responded with righteous indignation. It was always the other guy's fault and I would tell the teacher why the other guy(s) were the ones in the wrong. In sixth grade, I had a teacher listen to my explanation and then say, "Be that as it may, why is it always you and someone else?" I didn't have an answer for that, but I gave it a lot of thought. Then I grew up.

I imagine that most forum admins are a lot like me. They have invested a great deal of time and expense to create a place to hang out and they want it to run smoothly. I want people to mind their manners here. I imagine that is what most forum admins want. Anyone thinking that what I, or other admins do is a power trip hasn't done the math. I'm not sure what anyone would think the incentive would be for such a thing. Dealing with problem posters just frustrates and disheartens me. There is absolutely no enjoyment to be had for me in having to deal with someone starting trouble on my site. Not here and not on GT, when I ran it. It is nothing but an aggravating chore and I would prefer not to have to mess with it. Some people will always be determined to push things though and there will always be messes to clean up.

I think that the vast majority of forum admins would agree with me on this subject. We just want to run our sites, not slug it out with knuckleheads. Are there admins out there that enjoy the adversarial part of things? Admins that derive some enjoyment from lording their authority over others? Of course there are. I believe though that such people are a very small minority of the people who choose to runs sites like this. Admins will run their sites with varying degrees of skill, temperament and senses of fairness. There are a lot of different kinds of people and each will do a job like this according to their talents and their nature. I think that damned few of them though get off on pushing others around though.

When one guy gets in trouble on many sites, what is the common denominator? Maser, I bear you no ill will and I am not trying to pick a fight with you, but I think you need to look hard at yourself, if you want to know where the source of the problems you encounter truly lies. I sincerely doubt that so many admins took it on themselves to come after you at random.

I am not a fan of those that enjoy starting trouble or that enjoy witnessing & participating in the turmoil it creates. I did not build this site to indulge such proclivities. I will not ever run a site that sanctions such behavior and that includes using this site to bash other sites and their members. I have made a real effort to be a more laid back and easygoing admin here, but there are some things that are not allowable or negotiable.

Well, so far you're doing a helluva job.  Better than you're doing on that Maxima :anim_lol:

I imagine it's a tough balance.  You need traffic and banning people is the exact opposite of generating traffic.  Take (and I am not picking on her) GKL.  She generates traffic and responses.  But she isn't everyone's cup of tea either.  And in the end, the site has to be successful.  

On the other side, there was a member on GT who was a constant - how am I gonna put this - *******.  And he pissed people off and made them want to leave. by being a dick  So in that case the decision is probably easy.  Bounce his ass.

BGH can correct/ban me/call me totally FOS me but what I see is this - posters like GKL are genuine and have genuine opinions that may or may not line up with everyone else's.  She got a little - er, excited, but she posts what she really thinks and wasn't rude just for the sake of being rude.  And good turkey stories.  And some of the other stuff that we won't get into here......

Picture it like this - you're sitting in a room.  Suddenly someone comes in and you start talking.  It turns to a topic where you disagree, but you are both still "on the topic."  That can be a good conversation.  

Now picture some jackass coming in and just screaming "you're wrong" and making all sorts of unrelated stupid comments.  

IMO that's the difference.

The other guy (or the guy) I'm thinking of just posted bullshit to piss people off.  And it was all he did.  

Edited by SC Tiger
  • Thanks 1