Term Limits - just what should they be?

railfancwb

The President is currently limited to two terms. That might be considered as one elected term plus 50%+ of the term in which succession came to be.

What about in one term out one term then in one term again? We have actually had that happen once. Would the limit then be two terms period or two successive terms?

Is there a limit for the Vice President? Can that individual serve two terms as VP then be elected to two terms as P?

There are term limits for some governors and mayors. And possibly even term limits for some state or local legislatures.

Suppose the voters could amend the amendment now limiting the President....

How many two year terms for Representative should be allowed? Would that be consecutive or in total?

How many six year terms in the Senate? Once again would that be consecutive or total?

If a Representative maxes out should that person be eligible to seek a Senate or the Presidency and max out there?

Should a maxed out Senator be eligible to become President? If never a Representative, should a maxed out Senator or President be eligible to become one?

Should term limits have an overall cap? Regardless of which offices, limit a person to X total years in Federal elected office?

If a person maxes out as a Representative from one state should that person be able to move to another state and seek to be a Representative from it?

Saying term limits would be good, but there would be devils in the details.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

well i know one thing in my little town our town commissioners should be limited to 30 days .   they are biggest **** ups around here . nobody is happy with them except the ones they cater to with a little side money under the table . 

raised our taxes every year , we are still one of the smallest counties and only 1 of a few that have nazi car inspections for revenue , and they revitalized downtown and spent i dunno how much for new park and nobody goes there , or downtown , i mean nobody .  

• Like 1

I could get behind a two-term limit for each federal office. 2 as a Rep, 2 as a Sen, 2 as President. Throw in a couple years at an appointed Secretary post, and you'd have a well-rounded representative of the People. That gives a person time to gain experience, but not time to get dug in like a tick.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Silentpoet said:

The problem with term limits is that more power would gravitate towards unelected career positions in the federal government.  I don't know what the solution is for that problem. But when you solve one problem you also create others.

Good point, bureaucrats are forever

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

23 hours ago, Dric902 said:

I don’t like term limits. If you have someone you like, you should support them 

I am for a mandatory retirement age. Watch C-Span and you’ll see a dozen walkers, canes, etc

including SCOTUS

Yup, it’s worked so well for us. That was sarcasm BTW. When common sense was common, the system kind of worked. Who are we kidding, relying on the populous to vote out the dead wood has never worked.

3 terms for congress, 1 term for senate, and no lifetime benefits for any of it.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Silentpoet said:

The problem with term limits is that more power would gravitate towards unelected career positions in the federal government.  I don't know what the solution is for that problem. But when you solve one problem you also create others.

That is already the case.

Where did the 6 years for senators come from? What is the logic behind it?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, NPTim said:

It's based on the house of lords and the house of commons in the Brit parliament. The house of reps is the will of the people, and the senate is the more stable part of the legislature.  Before the 17th amendment in 1913 the state governments sent senators to Washington. They were not elected by the people.

It's all in the constitution and amendments.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

One of the problems is that the people who can write and pass term limits/retirement age

are the ones affected by it. They would have to do it to themselves

if Frank and Jesse have the combination to the bank vault, they will rob the bank

if Frank and Jesse write the banking laws...we will pay them to rob it all the time

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

They  (politicians ) can get elected and hold the office as many times as they want imo.  Im very ambivalent about term limits. 

What I do want is "None of the Above " to be a requirement on EVERY ballot for federal office's.  This should be accompanied by law saying that if voters choose "None of the Above ", neither candidate can run for the seat for 2 election cycles,  nor any other federal seat for the same limits. 

I'm waaay more tired of voting for the lesser of 2 evils.  

• Like 1

11 hours ago, holyjohnson said:

how about just a simple Constitutional knowledge test.

and an understand of Oath Of Office they take.

Liars lie.  

We have an new population using that to stay here.

I would be happy to see some required advanced training and an education level, specific to governing, morals, ethics.  I see no trace of any in our present politicians.  More than a few people in Congress don't even seem to understand our form of government.

• Like 4

Just now, janice6 said:

Liars lie.  

We have an new population using that to stay here.

I would be happy to see some required advanced training and an education level, specific to governing, morals, ethics.  I see no trace of any in our present politicians.  More than a few people in Congress don't even seem to understand our form of government.

I think that instead of term limits, we should look at the private sector and use one of the standard practices in dealing with employees. A 90 day performance review and subsequent anual reviews.

If performance is not up to expectations, employment can be terminated on the spot. There would certainly be a need for a boat load of special elections!

I know, it will never happen, but I can dream.

• Like 2

Bring back the spoils system.

The six years for Senators was built into the Constitution I believe. However the Constitution also had Senators appointed by state legislatures and not elected by popular vote. Repeal the 17th! Still don’t understand how enough state legislatures were convinced to neuter themselves to pass the 17th.

5d12bf7dc18c9ef05bc46e700517f0ec.jpg

If Alexander had not definitely decided to retire I doubt that that statement would have been made in a quotable situation.