well well hurricane

ASH

we will heading down before the sun comes to help our youngest and her hubby prepare  for the worst  , hope for the better ,  they live in middleburg ,FL . THEN  its back here to baton down the hatches  .   we got 2 green houses already potted and hope it misses ,  we got about 250,000 plants done  ,  got the gennies ready , got plenty of gas ,  so here we are ready  down there they are not 

everyone who gets hit  prayers to all  

• Like 6
  • Sad 1

Sounds like you are well prepared. It always amazes me living in Alaska where so many things can go wrong, how many people are not prepared for even the slightest emergency. Our recent 250 sq mile fire is a good example. Trucks were held up when the road was closed. Gas stations in some areas ran short of fuel. Grocery store shelves were not as stocked as normal. Lots of whining and 'woe is me'.

• Sad 1

15 minutes ago, Walt Longmire said:

Sounds like you are well prepared. It always amazes me living in Alaska where so many things can go wrong, how many people are not prepared for even the slightest emergency. Our recent 250 sq mile fire is a good example. Trucks were held up when the road was closed. Gas stations in some areas ran short of fuel. Grocery store shelves were not as stocked as normal. Lots of whining and 'woe is me'.

Nothing is ever an emergency until it happens to you.  Then nothing else counts, but it's too late.

In todays society, preparedness is considered the responsibility of government, and they are supposed to protect me. 

And they claim we are an advanced society. In many ways, our ancestors were superior to us. 

48 minutes ago, Walt Longmire said:

It always amazes me living in Alaska where so many things can go wrong, how many people are not prepared for even the slightest emergency.

I always chuckle at the news clips two days before a hurricane hits,  of all the chaos in all the stores.

You live in a hurricane (or snow) prone area! 

You don't even have the basics on hand?  Always? Really?

(Even my wife questions me on this.  "Why do you waste the shelf space (in basement) with all that canned food, noodles, packets and white gas, and never use it??"

I actually slowly rotate through it.)

Edited by Huaco Kid
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I left work at 0200 last night. Went to Wal Mart. bread, hot dogs, charcoal, all gone. The employees were still buzzing about the fight over that last loaf of crappy grain/sawdust bread that nobody eats.

I grabbed some flour tortillas, a pack of ground chuck, some taco seasoning, shredded cheese, a pack of CR123 batteries, and a new pair of reading glasses. Had a couple nice conversations with people I bumped into. Probably the best trip to WMT I've had in years.

Still on the fence about boarding up the windows. I'm probably 30-40 miles inland, so at least storm surge isn't an issue.

• Like 3

20 hours ago, Huaco Kid said:

I always chuckle at the news clips two days before a hurricane hits,  of all the chaos in all the stores.

You live in a hurricane (or snow) prone area! 

You don't even have the basics on hand?  Always? Really?

(Even my wife questions me on this.  "Why do you waste the shelf space (in basement) with all that canned food, noodles, packets and white gas, and never use it??"

I actually slowly rotate through it.)

What else is shelf space in the basement for, anyway?  canned goods and ammo is all!

• Like 2
  • Haha 2