Side Impact LIKE A BOSS

kerbie18

I worked an accident yesterday. This Ford Explorer took a high speed side impact. The multiple side airbags deployed as designed. The heavily reinforced doors worked as designed. All of the occupants shrugged it off and walked away.

Gotta love modern vehicle safety!! It's truly a modern marvel.

20190730_131101.jpg

Edited by kerbie18
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 4

I always find it funny how people tell me that flying is the safest way to travel.  I always respond asking them how many people survive plane crashes compared to car crashes.  Apparently they don't get that it's easier to survive a 40-60MPH crash as opposed to 550MPH plane crash. 

But at the same time, 550 mph plane crashes don't happen nearly as often as 40-60 mph car crashes.  Kind of like profits, you can often make more by selling a gazillion things at a small profit than you can selling only a few things for crazy high profit...  Driving is still more deadly.

https://fortune.com/2017/07/20/are-airplanes-safer-than-cars/

-Pat

• Like 2

You wanna know the most annoying thing about the whole situation? While the overall design of the vehicle performed wonderfully, I couldn't get the damn horn to stop honking. I ended up popping the hood on the vehicle and cutting it's battery cables with my pocket knife just to get that god damned horn to stop honking at me.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

7 minutes ago, kerbie18 said:

You wanna know the most annoying thing about the whole situation? While the overall design of the vehicle performed wonderfully, I couldn't get the damn horn to stop honking. I ended up popping the hood on the vehicle and cutting it's battery cables with my pocket knife just to get that god damned horn to stop honking at me.

On the bright side it didn't catch on fire.

• Thanks 1

Nice! I bet the driver's right hip was sore from getting pushed into the center cubby, but it beats the hell outta what that crash woulda looked like if it was a couple cars from the 70's or 80s.

People are walking away from what would have killed them 30 years ago. Kinda neat to see such tech. Downside is, cars that are still able to be driven, are totaled out because of all the sensors, electronics, and airbags.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

11 hours ago, kerbie18 said:

I worked an accident yesterday. This Ford Explorer took a high speed side impact. The multiple side airbags deployed as designed. The heavily reinforced doors worked as designed. All of the occupants shrugged it off and walked away.

Gotta love modern vehicle safety!! It's truly a modern marvel.

20190730_131101.jpg

That was my experience also in a Nissan Pathfinder that got hit on the right front wheel, hard enough to spin my vehicle around on the road.

My wife had the front passenger air bag along with the side air bags inflated, so that they surrounded her and the emergency responders had to cut out the airbags to get her out of the vehicle.

I was thrown sideways so violently that the drivers air bag never touched me, and I found myself hunched over the center console.

Modern vehicle safety systems are truly remarkable!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1