Backing in to parking spaces: only for the smart, good looking, nose breathers?

F14Scott

How do you park: like a decent human being or a selfish animal?  

34 members have voted

1. 1. Backing in to parking spaces: only for the smart, good looking, nose breathers?

• I back into parking spaces and will be rewarded in the afterlife.
    • I nose into parking spaces and chew my toenails publicly .
    • Even better, I pull through double parking spots when able.
    • But, I also never back into or pull through herringbone parking, which would point me the wrong way down the aisle.
    • And, I don't mind parallel parking because, come on, it's not rocket surgery, for Pete's sake.

The worst vehicle I ever owned to park was a Dodge Dakota 4x4 pickup.  I have never had a vehicle with a larger turn radius.  My Ram Charger was significantly better with a much tighter turning radius.

It was so bad that I had to be very careful in downtown parking lots.  Once I could get parked, but I couldn't get out.  Very wide turn radius needed lots of room behind to back out of commercial parking lots and I had to turn down many.

I liked the ability to go anywhere in all kinds of weather, but it was the worst thing to park I ever owned.

My new cars are all wheel drive but can turn around in a residential street without backing up.

• Like 3

10 hours ago, railfancwb said:

Have read about ordinary appearing automobiles which in fact have four wheel steering. Wonder how they drive and park.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

AutoTrader.com › car-news › gmc-...
Web results
GMC Pickups Used to Have 4-Wheel Steering, and It Was Awesome ...

The worst vehicle I ever owned to park was a Dodge Dakota 4x4 pickup.  I have never had a vehicle with a larger turn radius.  My Ram Charger was significantly better with a much tighter turning radius.
It was so bad that I had to be very careful in downtown parking lots.  Once I could get parked, but I couldn't get out.  Very wide turn radius needed lots of room behind to back out of commercial parking lots and I had to turn down many.
I liked the ability to go anywhere in all kinds of weather, but it was the worst thing to park I ever owned.
My new cars are all wheel drive but can turn around in a residential street without backing up.
F350 4 door long bed. Makes that Dakota seen like a sports car.
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

19 hours ago, willie-pete said:

UCF in Orlando has recently made it illegal to back in to parking spots on campus.

They have tag readers on the campus police cars and they are useless if people back in.

I'd pull in, and put a piece of paper over my plate. Kinda glad they didn't offer the grad school degree I wanted. F those guys.

• Like 5

On 7/14/2019 at 8:14 AM, F14Scott said:

Backing in pros:

1. Safer parking.
    1. You see the whole space and surrounding area on the way in, while pulling past the spot.
    2. The "wagging" part of the car is outside the spot, keeping your nose away from the neighboring cars.
    3. More precision in narrow spaces (that's why forklifts steer with their rear wheels)
  2. Faster, safer departure.
    1. You look only forward only instead of having to toggle back and forth forward and back.
    2. The wagging parts of the car are immediately out in the open.
  3. Your backup camera and sensors enable great accuracy.
  4. No potential to scrape the front air dam on the chock.
  5. The transmission appreciates not having to clunk into reverse when cold.

Nosing in pros:

1. It's faster on the way in.
  2. Trunk/bed access, if you're loading/unloading
  3. Women and children seem to prefer it.

Good post. 

I generally back into parking spaces the exception being when grocery shopping etc. 

Rear facing camera makes it a snap. 

Edited by .264 magnum
  • Like 2

People, for whatever reason, have shunned parallel parking to the point that cars are taught to do it!
Don't operate a machine that's smarter than you!

F-250 with full four doors, duallies, and 8 foot bed - or equivalent in other brands - don’t do parallel parking very well. In fact they don’t to pull in or back in parking very well either.

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, railfancwb said:

Any F-35s do back in parking?

Perhaps the B variant can.

I;'m not sure so I won't confirm or deny, but being a Lockheed product I assume everything works backwards.

:biggrin:

Edited by tous
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, tous said:

Perhaps the B variant can.

I;'m not sure so I won't confirm or deny, but being Lockheed product I assume everything works backwards.

:biggrin:

J-35 is Lockheed's answer to Carrier landings without  The proper carrier landing gear.

• Like 2

My daughter took her driver's test in my pickup truck last year.  The tester drove it around the parking lot first... and his comment was "Worst turn radius ever."  She parallel parked it just fine (in MI you aren't allowed to make any adjustments; you get one go at pulling it in and if it isn't completely in the space without changing direction, you fail).  The one point she lost was not pulling close enough to the front of the REGULAR parking test.  That cracked me up, everyone thinks the front end of that truck is bigger than it is...  anyway, she passed, and now I have to teach youngest daughter how to do it...

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, Mrs.Cicero said:

My daughter took her driver's test in my pickup truck last year.  The tester drove it around the parking lot first... and his comment was "Worst turn radius ever."  She parallel parked it just fine (in MI you aren't allowed to make any adjustments; you get one go at pulling it in and if it isn't completely in the space without changing direction, you fail).  The one point she lost was not pulling close enough to the front of the REGULAR parking test.  That cracked me up, everyone thinks the front end of that truck is bigger than it is...  anyway, she passed, and now I have to teach youngest daughter how to do it...

Congratulations!  Teaching another to drive is a real life exercise in faith and belief in another person.  Some can't.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, janice6 said:

Congratulations!  Teaching another to drive is a real life exercise in faith and belief in another person.  Some can't.

Ha.  My oldest daughter rolled her eyes at me today when I told her what to do while she was driving.  I told her to get over it 'cause I was back in "instructional mode" for her younger sister, and it wouldn't end til that one gets her license.  She was "like, OMG, NO, Mom!"

• Haha 1

Just now, Mrs.Cicero said:

Ha.  My oldest daughter rolled her eyes at me today when I told her what to do while she was driving.  I told her to get over it 'cause I was back in "instructional mode" for her younger sister, and it wouldn't end til that one gets her license.  She was "like, OMG, NO, Mom!"

My wife doesn't like to drive with me in the car.  She says it's unnerving to see me start to tense up so often when she's driving.

I tried to explain to her that it isn't her driving that's getting to me, it's that she doesn't drive like I do.  Therefore, I'm in the suicide seat not knowing what she will do next. 

She has only had one accident and that was before we go married (I took the blame for that one since it was my father's car and for liability purposes), my father's name and mine are the same, so it appeared that I owned the car and they wouldn't sue him, if it came to that.

I have been proactive in trying to keep up with the statistical accident rate for my age group.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1