Backing in to parking spaces: only for the smart, good looking, nose breathers?

F14Scott

How do you park: like a decent human being or a selfish animal?  

34 members have voted

1. 1. Backing in to parking spaces: only for the smart, good looking, nose breathers?

• I back into parking spaces and will be rewarded in the afterlife.
    • I nose into parking spaces and chew my toenails publicly .
    • Even better, I pull through double parking spots when able.
    • But, I also never back into or pull through herringbone parking, which would point me the wrong way down the aisle.
    • And, I don't mind parallel parking because, come on, it's not rocket surgery, for Pete's sake.

29 minutes ago, Mrs.Cicero said:

Ha.  My oldest daughter rolled her eyes at me today when I told her what to do while she was driving.  I told her to get over it 'cause I was back in "instructional mode" for her younger sister, and it wouldn't end til that one gets her license.  She was "like, OMG, NO, Mom!"

My mother had the classic Mom Virtual Brake Pedal on the pasenger side of the automobile whenever she rode with my sister or me well into our sixties.

:biggrin:

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

yeaaaaaah.  Ya' know how I said younger daughter was taking driver's ed?  Apparently, she was doing a drive today with her instructor, on the highway, going 75 in a 70, when some dude roared past her doing about 100... In the middle of whatever sentence she was saying to her instructor, she stopped dead, and in the exact same tone of voice she had been using, said,"YOU are an *******, SIR,"  and went right back to her conversation, while her instructor about busted a gut laughing.  I am sure this is a bad reflection on me.  Somehow.

Edited to add: since when did this program start editing "*******"?

Edited by Mrs.Cicero
  • Haha 5

On 7/17/2019 at 7:27 PM, tous said:

My mother had the classic Mom Virtual Brake Pedal on the pasenger side of the automobile whenever she rode with my sister or me well into our sixties.

:biggrin:

My beautiful mother, God bless her, is ambidextrous. She has that "mom arm" brake that whips out across the width of the front seats saving any front seat occupant from meeting a painful demise from the dashboard anytime more than 15 ft. lb of force is applied to the brake pedal. It doesn't matter if she's driving, a front seat passenger, or a backseat passenger. She's like a superhero.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

22 hours ago, Mrs.Cicero said:

yeaaaaaah.  Ya' know how I said younger daughter was taking driver's ed?  Apparently, she was doing a drive today with her instructor, on the highway, going 75 in a 70, when some dude roared past her doing about 100... In the middle of whatever sentence she was saying to her instructor, she stopped dead, and in the exact same tone of voice she had been using, said,"YOU are an *******, SIR,"  and went right back to her conversation, while her instructor about busted a gut laughing.  I am sure this is a bad reflection on me.  Somehow.

Who cares!  Your teaching is now paying off!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 7/14/2019 at 11:53 AM, AK_Stick said:

I disagree, they’re a crutch. People look at nothing other than the screen and completely forget they have mirrors/windows. 

The fewer sensors/aids in a vehicle the better for everyone. 

I have a backup camera and I still don't use that bitch.  Which is quite a feat, considering I have maybe 30 degrees of turn on either side of my neck.

Think of the horse in Ren & Stimpy:  No, sir.  I don't like it.

• Like 2

Congratulations!  Teaching another to drive is a real life exercise in faith and belief in another person.  Some can't.

When first trying to teach my daughter to drive, I was in the front seat saying one thing. My wife started giving different directions. My daughter stopped. Told my wife only one of us should be giving directions. If she wanted to be the one, we could swap places and I would sit in the back seat and shut up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, railfancwb said:

When first trying to teach my daughter to drive, I was in the front seat saying one thing. My wife started giving different directions. My daughter stopped. Told my wife only one of us should be giving directions. If she wanted to be the one, we could swap places and I would sit in the back seat and shut up.

Good for her!   

• Administrators
On 7/19/2019 at 9:17 PM, Mrs.Cicero said:

It always has. You have the option of turning off the bad word filter though. Check in your account settings. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 7/14/2019 at 11:53 AM, AK_Stick said:

I disagree, they’re a crutch. People look at nothing other than the screen and completely forget they have mirrors/windows. 

The fewer sensors/aids in a vehicle the better for everyone. 

I use the camera when backing up to the trailer, no mirror or window is going to show if the trailer tongue and hitch ball are in line like the camera does.

Also when backing into a parking spot the mirrors and windows won't put your bumper exactly on the yellow line or the next cars front end like the camera does. They have their purposes. 

• Like 2

48 minutes ago, Mike said:

I use the camera when backing up to the trailer, no mirror or window is going to show if the trailer tongue and hitch ball are in line like the camera does.

Also when backing into a parking spot the mirrors and windows won't put your bumper exactly on the yellow line or the next cars front end like the camera does. They have their purposes. 

I disagree with both those statements

1 hour ago, Mike said:

I back my KW with an 8 1/2' wide dump box and no camera right up to the tilt deck equipment trailer. Might have to get out and put an eyeball on it sometimes, but usually nail it.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Mike said:

I was consulting for New Holland Farm Machinery.  On one trip we had the workings for a Harvester in an outbuilding.  There was just enough room to get a farm wagon through the door between the harvester and the door frame.

Some genius in the New Holland group got the idea that I was a farm boy and threw me the keys to their new Genesis Tractor, and asked if I would back two Corn filled wagons alongside the harvester to refill it with Corn for the testing.

I immediately threw the keys back to him and reminded him that I was a "city boy" and there was no way I could back up a tractor hooked to two steerable 4 wheel wagons, in tandem, into that small opening without causing severe trauma to both people and "things". 

He laughed at me and tossed the keys to this pretty little girl in her teens and she put the wagons exactly where they were needed in one magnificent maneuver, without redoing any of her movements.  It was like watching a world famous sculptor do a masterpiece.  I was in awe of this girl's accomplishment, while the guys just laughed at me! 

• Like 2

Once upon a time I prided myself on slickly backing into parking places. My neck now so restricts my head mobility that I don’t try.

I do find it amusing to see a vehicle backed into a diagonal parking place where the aisle width will require two or three moves to exit unless the route is clear to pull out and leave against traffic in that narrow aisle.

• Like 1

On 7/23/2019 at 1:33 AM, Walt Longmire said:

I back my KW with an 8 1/2' wide dump box and no camera right up to the tilt deck equipment trailer. Might have to get out and put an eyeball on it sometimes, but usually nail it.

I drove a gravel train here in MI for 17 years, 2 dump trailers, 11 axels 42 tires, 164K GVW. I could back the set of doubles into a residential driveway so an excavator could demo a house without destroying the lawn on either side. I have used a 4 axle Nelson 130" wide Low Boys to haul our 350 Cat excavator without permits or getting any tickets. So I believe I have a vague idea of what mirrors are for.

The fact still remains that a camera on a pick up makes hitting the tongue a hell of a lot easier as does backing into a space without  touching the other vehicles. Sure mirrors get you close but the camera will get you closer.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1