Old Pictures

Eric

On this day in history (Nov. 8, 1942) 400 French resistance fighters, led by Henri d' Astier de la Vigerie, launch a coup against the Vichyist XIXth Army Corps in Algiers. After 15 hours of fierce fighting, the resistance fighters seized the Army headquarters. The Allied invasion of Algiers, codenamed 'Operation Torch' would commence the same day.

image.png.f0636ece860a5f3df44239f3a3d5d1cb.png

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, pipedreams said:

image.png.83bd7edd853f47de26ad8ba1b1661e87.png

Because of religious beliefs, the Sikh's are the only persons in England to be allowed to carry knives (Kirpan) on their person.  They are the only British subjects to be capable of defending themselves, but they may still be punished afterwards.

"...Sikhism flourished as a counter to both the prevalent Hindu and Muslim teachings....", https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kirpan

"...Denmark. Ripudaman Singh, who now works as a scientist, was earlier convicted by the City Court of breaking the law by publicly carrying a knife. He was sentenced to a 3,000 kroner fine or six days' imprisonment. Though the High Court quashed this sentence, it held that the carrying of a kirpan by a Sikh broke the law....", https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kirpan

12 hours ago, janice6 said:

Because of religious beliefs, the Sikh's are the only persons in England to be allowed to carry knives (Kirpan) on their person.  They are the only British subjects to be capable of defending themselves, but they may still be punished afterwards.

"...Sikhism flourished as a counter to both the prevalent Hindu and Muslim teachings....", https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kirpan

"...Denmark. Ripudaman Singh, who now works as a scientist, was earlier convicted by the City Court of breaking the law by publicly carrying a knife. He was sentenced to a 3,000 kroner fine or six days' imprisonment. Though the High Court quashed this sentence, it held that the carrying of a kirpan by a Sikh broke the law....", https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kirpan

I like Sikhs. But I don't hold with selective enforcement of freedom-infringement for any good intention (and they're always good intentions). I don't care if Nancy Pelosi carries a gun walking down the middle of Gay Street, as long as she doesn't hurt anybody.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, gwalchmai said:

I like Sikhs. But I don't hold with selective enforcement of freedom-infringement for any good intention (and they're always good intentions). I don't care if Nancy Pelosi carries a gun walking down the middle of Gay Street, as long as she doesn't hurt anybody.

Well, it seems the English got themselves into a corner when they banned carrying knives in public.  They suddenly found that they were violating the religious beliefs of the Sikhs.  Now they claimed to be for religious freedom on one hand, and against the religious beliefs of this group on the other hand.  

If I were in England, and "subjected" to government forbidding me to protect myself, I might look into the Sikh faith instead, of trying to get permission to defend my life.

• Like 4

image.png.121a3deb49486ac1ca8a33291fc432ba.png

Ever actually try to straddle an elephant’s back? I did the last year a nearby zoo offered elephant rides, because the grandchildren wanted to ride, and I wasn’t nearly flexible enough to do it.

“No more elephant rides” a requirement the zoo had to meet to become accredited.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 1