Random Posting

Eric

9 hours ago, Cubdriver said:

Gotta love the stuff that goes into making semiconductors.  Arsine, phosphine, boron trichloride, phosphorus oxychloride, and everyone's favorite pyrophoric gas, 100% silane!  Along with sulfuric, hydrofluoric, aqua regia...  What a fun industry!  (Truth be told, I very much enjoyed the six years I worked at National Semi, and likely would have stayed longer if they hadn't closed the plant in 1990.  Learned a LOT working there, and it's served me well since.)

-Pat

My oldest daughter worked in the chemical lab of the production area for some time.  She was a jewel, and made me proud with her expertise and ability.  She handled gallons of Hydrofluoric every day.  You need people with a drive for detail so they don't kill themselves.

Not my thing!!!

I had the distinct pleasure of working with both my daughters at the company that employed me. 

One worked in the precision photomask facility. One day she brought me the Thin film metal masks of the first closeup photographs that the lander took on the surface of Mars. Two masks that when overlaid, showed a true color picture of the ground from 10 feet away.   I got to see them before NASA did.  they were done in Metallic thin film on glass to preserve them for posterity.

The other did wire bonding for the Ground Launched Cruise Missile.  I occasionally worked with her when I was assigned to problem solving.  

Then I was hired to consult at another company, and again, I worked with my Son, that was the Engineer assigned to me for the Molecular Beam Epitaxy hardware development.  I had the rare pleasure of working in technology with my kids as peers.  I couldn't have been more proud of my family.

Edited by janice6
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 2

3 hours ago, janice6 said:

My oldest daughter worked in the chemical lab of the production area for some time.  She was a jewel, and made me proud with her expertise and ability.  She handled gallons of Hydrofluoric every day.  You need people with a drive for detail so they don't kill themselves.

Not my thing!!!

I had the distinct pleasure of working with both my daughters at the company that employed me. 

One worked in the precision photomask facility. One day she brought me the Thin film metal masks of the first closeup photographs that the lander took on the surface of Mars. Two masks that when overlaid, showed a true color picture of the ground from 10 feet away.   I got to see them before NASA did.  they were done in Metallic thin film on glass to preserve them for posterity.

The other did wire bonding for the Ground Launched Cruise Missile.  I occasionally worked with her when I was assigned to problem solving.  

Then I was hired to consult at another company, and again, I worked with my Son, that was the Engineer assigned to me for the Molecular Beam Epitaxy hardware development.  I had the rare pleasure of working in technology with my kids as peers.  I couldn't have been more proud of my family.

That's pretty damned awesome - all around!  Sounds like you raised some amazing kids!  Well done.

-Pat

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I miss having access to the vapor degreaser we had there (back before saying freon would get you sent to the gulag) - that thing was sweet for cleaning stuff.  Also wish I'd pilfered a gallon or ten of trichlor- used to go through buckets of it decreasing vacuum system innards.

-Pat

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• Eric changed the title to BookFace
  • Eric locked this topic
  • Eric pinned this topic
  • Eric unpinned and unlocked this topic