Random Posting

Eric

So, I see a Suburu commercial that shows a feature called pre-collision braking.

Pre- means: before.

Before some event.

An event that has occurred.

So, Suburu has a feature that brakes your automobile just before it collides with whatever caused the pre-collision braking to begin braking.

Before the event.

Which is a collision.

Is that really helpful?

• Like 2
  • Haha 4

45 minutes ago, tous said:

So, I see a Suburu commercial that shows a feature called pre-collision braking.

Before some event.

So, Suburu has a feature that brakes your automobile just before it collides with whatever caused the pre-collision braking to begin braking.

Before the event.

Which is a collision.

Is that really helpful?

Does it mention anything about having post-collision braking also, or do you have to keep your foot on the pedal to keep it from moving after you hit something?

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

okay, I've done enough math for the day.  Only used a paper and pen, no slide rulers involved.
I started a HAM radio class, one of the first assignments involves circuits with both series and parallel resistors.

I signed up for the class kind of last minute.  First class was last Tuesday, and my books for the class should show up tomorrow.

And for those that want to know, it's the general license class.  I don't have the technician license, so will have to take both tests at the end of class.  Class instructor said we could also take the extra license exam at the same time if we want.

And no, I don't have a call sign yet, or even a radio at this point.  I want to put one in my truck eventually, so figured I'd start by getting licensed and go from there.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, tous said:

Before some event.

Before the event.

Which is a collision.

Is that really helpful?

I suppose some sales guy said, "boy does this sound cool,  to people that with limited comprehension".

I really think the limited comprehension is on the sales force that have little grasp of English and Grammar.

He's got to make his automatic braking sound different from everybody else's automatic braking.  When they are really all the same.

--------------------

I've had that on a few of my cars.  On the first car with it, I was going about 65 or 70 with the cruise locked on the car in front of me. 

It tracks the front car speed and keeps me a constant distance from it, whether the front care speeds up (to my preset limit) or slows down, even if he stops.

We were on a wide open flat stretch of rural divided highway.  When the guy in front of me turned on his right turn signals.  He started moving to the right shoulder to a dirt driveway to a farm.

As he suddenly slowed up on the shoulder to make the driveway, my car decided that he was stopping in front of me and it locked up the brakes.  70 to nothing.

Now imagine, I'm in a car in the right lane of a divided highway, in the country side, and my car just locked up the brakes, when there was no car in my lane, but on the shoulder.

I checked the mirror and stomped on the gas to get up to speed before the batch of cars behind me caught up to me.

Life in interesting with machines!

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Cougar_ml said:

okay, I've done enough math for the day.  Only used a paper and pen, no slide rulers involved.
I started a HAM radio class, one of the first assignments involves circuits with both series and parallel resistors.

I signed up for the class kind of last minute.  First class was last Tuesday, and my books for the class should show up tomorrow.

And for those that want to know, it's the general license class.  I don't have the technician license, so will have to take both tests at the end of class.  Class instructor said we could also take the extra license exam at the same time if we want.

And no, I don't have a call sign yet, or even a radio at this point.  I want to put one in my truck eventually, so figured I'd start by getting licensed and go from there.

Good for you.  You have to start somewhere!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, janice6 said:

I suppose some sales guy said, "boy does this sound cool,  to people that with limited comprehension".

I really think the limited comprehension is on the sales force that have little grasp of English and Grammar.

He's got to make his automatic braking sound different from everybody else's automatic braking.  When they are really all the same.

--------------------

I've had that on a few of my cars.  On the first car with it, I was going about 65 or 70 with the cruise locked on the car in front of me. 

It tracks the front car speed and keeps me a constant distance from it, whether the front care speeds up (to my preset limit) or slows down, even if he stops.

We were on a wide open flat stretch of rural divided highway.  When the guy in front of me turned on his right turn signals.  He started moving to the right shoulder to a dirt driveway to a farm.

As he suddenly slowed up on the shoulder to make the driveway, my car decided that he was stopping in front of me and it locked up the brakes.  70 to nothing.

Now imagine, I'm in a car in the right lane of a divided highway, in the country side, and my car just locked up the brakes, when there was no car in my lane, but on the shoulder.

I checked the mirror and stomped on the gas to get up to speed before the batch of cars behind me caught up to me.

Now imagine it does that every time a tumbleweed crosses the highway.  Can't imagine why all the semi truck drivers are getting annoyed with the systems in their trucks.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

5 minutes ago, tous said:

Good for you, amigo.

Remember Ohm's Law.

Good luck.

The instructor handed out a copy of the PIRE wheel with the assignment.

But also lots of calculators online (I used them to verify my answers, which is good because I'm a little tired from driving 6 hours today on very little sleep, and keep making stupid cupcakes.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, janice6 said:

--------------------

Seriously, these "features" are replicating human control of the vehicle, but if there's a crash & burn session it's the drivers fault for not paying attention! If the driver must pay attention then there's no need for the robo-controls. NOW, if the car will run down to the corner store to fetch a 6 pack and a sammich, now you've got something useful.

• Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

• Eric changed the title to BookFace
  • Eric locked this topic
  • Eric pinned this topic
  • Eric unpinned and unlocked this topic