Life's Little Annoyances

Eric

• Administrators

What are some inconsequential things, that nonetheless annoy you? Here are a few of mine.

• Paper cuts. They obviously do almost no damage, but they sting and cause a nuisance far out of proportion to their size and importance. I got four of the damned things today. One of them was on the edge of a corrugated cardboard box. How the hell does a damned cardboard box end up with an edge that can slice skin? :angryfire:
  • Trying to keep my glasses from fogging up when I have to wear a damned mask. At this point, the VA is the only place I have to wear one, but my glasses become unusable as soon as I put it on. I have no combination of mask and glasses positioning that prevents them from fogging up. This was always an annoyance  as well with the face shield on a full-face helmet, in cold weather. Rain-X does help a bit, but depending on the maker of the face-shield, the Rain-X can damage any coatings applied to the Lexan.
  • Insects flying around my head. I freaking hate that. I've actually knocked the hell out of myself many times over the years, taking wild swings and bugs buzzing me.
  • Dogs farting and then leaving the room, or entering the room, farting and then leaving. I don't know why dogs do this and I do not know why it annoys me, but it does.
  • People making everyone else wait while they take two or three stabs at backing into a parking place. That irritates the hell out of me. I've heard all the 'reasons' people give for backing into parking spaces and most are horseshit, in my humble opinion. Backing out of a wider lane into a narrow space is harder than backing out of that narrow space into a wider lane. As for safety issues, everything has backup cameras these days, not to mention collision avoidance sensors. Or simply use the trusty Mark I Eyeball. I've never backed over anyone yet.  Just today, I had to walk about a hundred feet further than necessary with a 65-pound package, because some jackass backed into a spot in front of the UPS Store and left part of his damned truck in the parking places on either side of him. It is a selfish, rude thing to do.

I could go on for hours. The older I get, the more things that irritate me. I'm not going to be able to stand myself, in another ten years. :supergrin:

What you got?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

My 89 year old aunt, with dementia, trying to "escape" from the ALF...Every ******* day...

Going to Publix and finding The whole ******* place has been "Re-arranged", for NO ******* reason at all...and I can't find a ******* THING!!!:angryfire:

Left Hand Drivers on I-4...goin 60 MPH...

I'll just stop...I could just go on all night...

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Talking about flying bugs, I was mowing the grass today and there was zero wind. Some weird and very small flies followed me around and at least one tried to get into my ear for several minutes. I was fiddling around in my face the entire time. I bet the neighbors came up with their own funny "conclusion".

As a damn perfectionist I get easily irritated. One major issue I have is with cheap and badly designed tools. Any tool that mars or damages my workpieces gets instantly destroyed and thrown out. I'm usually mad at myself for giving a consumer grade tool another chance. Then I end up on the internet and order the commercial grade counterpart, 10 fold the price, even if I only need that tool a handful of times. I spend so much money on tools, tech and equipment that I have to up my homeowners insurance coverage every year. They make me do an inventory because I'm well past any regular brackets.

So in other words, I manage to annoy and punish myself all the time.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, crockett said:

There ya go. We'll be playin Backgammon,, lookin out the window, and my wife will say..."See, look at all those little ******* swarmin"...Just a "cloud" of hovering gnats...It's fun to go out with a can of Raid "Fog"...and just....

"Gone Babe"!:anim_lol:Floriduh...

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

• Administrators
10 minutes ago, crockett said:

Talking about flying bugs, I was mowing the grass today and there was zero wind. Some weird and very small flies followed me around and at least one tried to get into my ear for several minutes. I was fiddling around in my face the entire time. I bet the neighbors came up with their own funny "conclusion".

As a damn perfectionist I get easily irritated. One major issue I have is with cheap and badly designed tools. Any tool that mars or damages my workpieces gets instantly destroyed and thrown out. I'm usually mad at myself for giving a consumer grade tool another chance. Then I end up on the internet and order the commercial grade counterpart, 10 fold the price, even if I only need that tool a handful of times. I spend so much money on tools, tech and equipment that I have to up my homeowners insurance coverage every year. They make me do an inventory because I'm well past any regular brackets.

Being in the field during the summer, when I was in the Army, sucked at night. We didn't get much chance to sleep and when we did, the gnats and mosquitos buzzing around my ears wouldn't let me get to sleep, no matter how tired I was. I found out from an oldtimer though that if you start a small fire and burn a lot of fresh, green leaves & branches and stand in the smoke, the smell of smoke on you and your clothes would keep the flying insects away from you for many hours. It works like a champ. They gave us Cutter Insect Repellant, but the mosquitos huffed that ****. The smoke alawys worked though.

• Like 1

• Administrators
16 minutes ago, crockett said:

So, you  aren't on Northern Tools' and Harbor Freight's mailing lists, then? :greensupergrin:

• Haha 2

3 minutes ago, Eric said:

Being in the field during the summer, when I was in the Army, sucked at night. We didn't get much chance to sleep and when we did, the gnats and mosquitos buzzing around my ears wouldn't let me get to sleep, no matter how tired I was. I found out from an oldtimer though that if you start a small fire and burn a lot of fresh, green leaves & branches and stand in the smoke, the smell of smoke on you and your clothes would keep the flying insects away from you for many hours. It works like a champ. They gave us Cutter Insect Repellant, but the mosquitos huffed that ****. The smoke alawys worked though.

I'll keep that mind if I ever end up camping in the open or in a tent. Mosquitos love me. Just standing on the street at night and I will end up with 10 bites within a couple minutes.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Eric said:

So, you  aren't on Northern Tools' and Harbor Freight's mailing lists, then? :greensupergrin:

I gave Northern a chance with a reel for my pressure washer, once. Just found the email I sent for the RMA request:

"The manual makes no sense because it lists a feeder hose that is not in the package. And on the other hand it doesn't show how to install a hose. Total fail.

More importantly, the hardware doesn't fit the matching stand being sold on NorthernTools. The screw threads are too big.

You will have to either drill the stand and remove the corrosion protection, or waste an hour for a run to the hardware store for matching screws, washers and nuts.

It's also missing 4 washers to protect the paint from chipping.

Hardware is not stainless steel either. Considering that this will be in constant contact with water, it's just a matter of time and it will rust.

Yet another failed product made in China. Going back for a full refund! 

Called 08/23/19 5:50

RMA 610 774 22"

You get the idea how mad I can get with BS products lol

• Like 2

• Administrators

One of my bigger pet peeves are dumbasses at stoplights who are looking down at their phones when the light turns green. I wonder how much of my life is being taken away from me every day, five or ten seconds at a time, by these d-bags? It happens at almost every light. When did everyone start needing constant input every waking second of the day? It is pathetic and it is dangerous.

Then there are the really dangerous ones who text and drive. I dodge several of them a week. With the universe's sense of irony, I will probably get taken out by one of them, one of these days. OMG.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Swampfox762 said:

Florida's "Yellow flys"...wanna  compare???

Pfft. These ******* are an inch and a half long, insane speed and agility, with a quarter inch schnozz to jab the **** out of you with. They excel at hit and run. Loud as hell, though. They can't really sneak up on you unless it's noisy.

• Like 2

• Administrators
10 minutes ago, MO Fugga said:

Pfft. These ******* are an inch and a half long, insane speed and agility, with a quarter inch schnozz to jab the **** out of you with. They excel at hit and run. Loud as hell, though. They can't really sneak up on you unless it's noisy.

I prefer larger flies. They make easier targets for my increasely old eyes to track. I am on my third fly swatter of the summer. They don't make the damned things like they used to.

• Like 2

Tell you what annoys me today.

Management at the office.   Asking you why a lightning strike was not prevented and 20 minutes of down time occurred.

The newly announced equity program with no clearly defined standards and more importantly...no idea what the criteria is....but i won't qualify.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, inthefrey said:

Having to develop an equal and constantly evolving level of security technology to keep nefarious people from Stealing from us by using every technology or device  we've created to make our lives easier. 

That's a big one for me.