Old Gun Arcade Machines, Pinball and Other..Pre Digital..

DrB

4 minutes ago, DrB said:

Nothing can beat the relays clicking, the flipper sounds, the ding ding ding and the number wheels clacking up .  Good times in my youte..

Dave..

We once drilled a tiny hole in a quarter and tied fishing string to it.  It worked.  A little too good.  We knew the machines made a loud WHACK! sound when you put the quarter in.

As we very slowly lowered the quarter in,  it hit the sweet spot and started, WHACKWHACKWHACKWHACKWHACKWHACKWHACKWHACKWHACKWHACKWHACKWHACKWHACKWHACKWHACKWHACK..... and caught the attention of the owner (a little news store / diner-counter) and when we tried to pull it out,  the string broke and it stuck there....   WHACKWHACKWHACKWHACKWHACKWHACKWHACKWHACKWHACKWHACKWHACKWHACKWHACKWHACKWHACKWHACK.....

The wheel went up to 50 games.  But we got kicked out and didn't get to play them.

• Haha 3

we got busted pulling out drinks out of drink machines . you could reach your arm up to elbow and grab a drink and pull it out , but if you did not pull it out right something popped a hole in the side of can and you had to drink the drink sideways lol .  thats why drink machines  from the 90ties  til now has that big dumper at bottom  built on to people from getting hands in there now 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, ASH said:

thats why drink machines  from the 90ties  til now has that big dumper at bottom  built on to people from getting hands in there now 

We once went overnight stealth-fishing at a private lake that was closed for the season.  We got into the concession building.

After working on the candy machine a while,  we just turned the whole thing upside down and shook everything out of the spirals.  Then laid it on it's face,  and turned it upright.  We didn't even have to defeat the dumper-door.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 1

Like a few here, I sent a fair amount of time in the campus recreational center and a wall of pinball machines.

The first lad in every semester put a dime in and the machine still had 50 free games at the end of the semester with nary another dime inserted..

The company would send technicians out to widen the bumpers, dull the reactive elements, slow the flippers, but to no avail.

One day i was watching him and I mentioned, You do know that we're all engineering students, right?

He just rolled his eyes, buttoned up the machine and I guess the company decided that they weren't going to get rich off of those machines.

This is the same college that brewed 80 gallons of coffee on the first day of the semester and never again, just kept it hot for three months.

That is where I learned my tolerance for really terrible coffee.

:biggrin:

Ah, to be young again.

Edited by tous
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

I spent a lot of time on one of these bowling games when I was a boy. 

My parents and grandparents took us to this little mom and pop tavern that served fresh just out of the fryer "Chicken in a Basket"  Came in a wicker basket lined with a cloth towel to soak up the grease. Chicken and hot french fries cooked to order and so hot you could hardly touch at first.  That food was damn good.

While the food was cooking as the adults had a few beers/drinks my grandfather would take me to this machine along with his beer and we would play.  Big can of corn meal you could sprinkle on the lane to make it slick for the puck...

Good times and good fresh hot food for a boy.

Dave..

Bowling.jpg

Bowling2.jpg

• Thanks 2

2 minutes ago, DrB said:

I spent a lot of time on one of these bowling games when I was a boy. 

My parents and grandparents took us to this little mom and pop tavern that served fresh just out of the fryer "Chicken in a Basket"  Came in a wicker basket lined with a cloth towel to soak up the grease. Chicken and hot french fries cooked to order and so hot you could hardly touch at first.  That food was damn good.

While the food was cooking as the adults had a few beers/drinks my grandfather would take me to this machine along with his beer and we would play.  Big can of corn meal you could sprinkle on the lane to make it slick for the puck...

Good times and good fresh hot food for a boy.

Dave..

Bowling.jpg

Bowling2.jpg

We'd go to a local tavern to drink beer, eat sandwiches and play the bowling machine after Lodge meetings. tom.:cowboy2:

• Thanks 2

Bally had a few pinball machines made and advertised by Cassandra Peterson aka Elvira, Mistress of the dark.  "Scared Stiff" and "Party Monsters"..  I hesitate to post those advertisements, here because..... well it's Elvira and I don't want to get this thread locked. 

Dave..

Edited by DrB
  • Thanks 1