The U.S. Army Selects New Submachine Gun

pipedreams

"The Swiss-made Brugger and Thomet APC9K is the Army’s first official subgun since World War II.

The U.S. Army has officially selected the Brugger and Thomet APC9K to outfit its Personal Security Details.

The APC9K is the first new submachine gun for the U.S. Army since the M3 “Greasegun” of World War II. The service will buy 350 of the compact automatic weapons for $2.5 million, with an option to buy 1,000 more. The B&T APC9K beat out guns from more than ten other companies, including Colt and Heckler and Koch, as well as guns based on the M-16 and MP-5 weapons platforms."

https://www.popularmechanics.com/military/weapons/a27021124/us-army-submachine-gun/?source=nl&utm_source=nl_pop&utm_medium=email&date=040319&src=nl&utm_campaign=16468543

• Like 2

The gun uses a closed-bolt blowback system, has a maximum rate of fire of 1,080 rounds per minute, and weighs just 5.9 pounds with 30-round magazine, foregrip, and Aimpoint micro red dot aiming sight. It’s chambered in 9-millimeter Parabellum

My curiosity is piqued. 

I wonder if the high price comes with a licensing contract. 

B&T males a civilian semi-auto version pistol with a seven inch barrel and a folding? (I think)  brace and it seems like a rally nice gun but it's $2599 bucks swhich maeks it strictly a rich man's toy.

Here's a pretty good article on the civilian version of the gun which shares many characteristics and features with the military subgun.

https://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/2015/10/foghorn/gun-review-bt-apc9/   And here's a picture of the military version:

B andT Y.jpg

1 hour ago, NPTim said:

2.5 million for 350 units? That’s $7000+ each. :alex: Is it substantially different and/or improved from the H&K MP5? 

Sounds more like they used the UMP as a starting point, it's blowback with a hydraulic buffer on the back of the bolt instead of roller delayed.  Also sounds like the machining on it is top notch, and there's more metal involved for a more solid feel than having a plastic subgun.

So yeah, quite a bit different than the MP5.  

As for $7k each, I'd imagine that includes accessories, spare parts, and probably some type or refurbishing/rebuilding program in there as well.

• Like 1

They should have reintroduced the Grease gun ( stamped, cheap as heck to produce )  or the Tommy gun in .45 caliber, I carried both at different times and found them very effective weapons .. In fact I liked the m1a1 tommy gun so much I got a Kahr semi-auto, take it to the range and it always draws a crowd ..

What baffles me, crappy cheap pistols. to replace the 92F, or they could have done what Mitchel's Mousers did forever ago, and make 20 flush magazines for the 92F and be done with it.  But, then 7K for the same round in an SBR style looking UMP.  The first UMP I saw was on the SOG team and it was in .40, same as the pistol ammo, so I guess that is what they are angling for.

• 10 months later...
  • 6 months later...
8 minutes ago, railfancwb said:

Less than $7,200 each. Is that a problem?

After all, it does come standard with two thirty round translucent magazines and an aimpoint sight.  Not to mention the four position Picatinny rail system.  You can't expect a government contractor to throw those things in for free.

Edited by minervadoe
  • Thanks 1