Wish me luck

Mrs.Cicero

I'm leaving for Florida (because why take a pistol class in the cold of Michigan (it's lovely today, but going back down below freezing all weekend) when you can do it in Florida?), and I have to travel with... my beloved pistol.  Thru JFK, the land of lost and stolen luggage.  I am madly looking forward to the class, but absolutely dreading the traveling to get there and back.  Especially after spending weekend last month listening to a bunch of pilots and airplane mechanics talk about their close calls, and mistakes, and such... Thanks, guys!  

I hope Florida Man is traveling somewhere else...

• Like 9
  • Thanks 2

3 hours ago, Mrs.Cicero said:

I'm leaving for Florida (because why take a pistol class in the cold of Michigan (it's lovely today, but going back down below freezing all weekend) when you can do it in Florida?), and I have to travel with... my beloved pistol.  Thru JFK, the land of lost and stolen luggage.  I am madly looking forward to the class, but absolutely dreading the traveling to get there and back.  Especially after spending weekend last month listening to a bunch of pilots and airplane mechanics talk about their close calls, and mistakes, and such... Thanks, guys!  

Have a good time and I hope an uneventful one!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

(I believe, ) If your plane in NY should happen to be cancelled and/or you happen to need to take possession of your checked luggage, I think you need to get a rental car and leave the state immediately (and blow through NJ also),  because you instantly become a non-resident in possession of a handgun and I think it's an automatic 3 1/2 years in Rikers.

Definitely do not go back to the airport the next day and try to declare your handgun.

I think.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, Mrs.Cicero said:

Who are you taking it with?

BTW temps in the high 70's this week in Central FL.

:599c64b15e0f8_thumbsup:

If they lose your luggage, stop by Daytona and you can borrow one of mine.

Edited by willie-pete
  • Thanks 2

3 hours ago, Huaco Kid said:

(I believe, ) If your plane in NY should happen to be cancelled and/or you happen to need to take possession of your checked luggage, I think you need to get a rental car and leave the state immediately (and blow through NJ also),  because you instantly become a non-resident in possession of a handgun and I think it's an automatic 3 1/2 years in Rikers.

Definitely do not go back to the airport the next day and try to declare your handgun.

I think.

You are definitely correct.  More than a few people have been screwed over in exactly that same situation. Plane diverted to NYC or stays overnight. You get you luggage ( including gun ) to go to hotel, Leaving the next morning. 

Show up at the airport and re-check your baggage, declaring the gun as required.

Go directly to jail, do not pass Go, do not collect $200.

• Sad 1

I do wish you luck.  I HATE, and I don't use that word lightly, JFK.  We were armed transporting people under the color of law, Federal Law at that, for removal.  I got into a heated argument that "No, I was not going to put my service pistol in the bin in front of the illegals, and they could go to hell."

• Like 2

I survived!   It was fun!  I hate American Airlines!  They delayed the first leg of my flights home, and that made me RUN through Charlotte airport because I had 20 minutes to get off plane #1 and get on plane #2 at the other end of the airport.  This was not helped by deplaning from #1 OUTSIDE because of construction.  I made it with 2 minutes to spare.  Cleveland screwed up labeling my luggage on the way there, so my bag came off the carousel in Florida with everyone else's instead of getting delivered to the baggage office for identification inspection.  At least it was done right on the way home.  

it was in the 80s in Palm City.  I got sunburned.  Major dose of Vitamin D.  Even better was my daughter texting me pics of all the snow they got in Cleveland where I left her visiting her grandparents.  I laughed.

I could have used a gun provided there, but it would have been a Glock.  That's not happening.  I am going to the gun shop tomorrow to replace my beloved USPc with a VP9, because I am tired of the too-large grip causing all my shots to be just left of center.  This kind of sucks, since I spent $$ putting new night sights on the USPc a couple months ago, but after fondling the VP9, I don't think I can continue the relationship with the USPc.  It's not me, it's the USPc, LOL.  It's over, baby, I'm leaving you for something better!

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

34 minutes ago, Mrs.Cicero said:

I survived!   It was fun!  I hate American Airlines!  They delayed the first leg of my flights home, and that made me RUN through Charlotte airport because I had 20 minutes to get off plane #1 and get on plane #2 at the other end of the airport.  This was not helped by deplaning from #1 OUTSIDE because of construction.  I made it with 2 minutes to spare.  Cleveland screwed up labeling my luggage on the way there, so my bag came off the carousel in Florida with everyone else's instead of getting delivered to the baggage office for identification inspection.  At least it was done right on the way home.  

it was in the 80s in Palm City.  I got sunburned.  Major dose of Vitamin D.  Even better was my daughter texting me pics of all the snow they got in Cleveland where I left her visiting her grandparents.  I laughed.

I could have used a gun provided there, but it would have been a Glock.  That's not happening.  I am going to the gun shop tomorrow to replace my beloved USPc with a VP9, because I am tired of the too-large grip causing all my shots to be just left of center.  This kind of sucks, since I spent $$ putting new night sights on the USPc a couple months ago, but after fondling the VP9, I don't think I can continue the relationship with the USPc.  It's not me, it's the USPc, LOL.  It's over, baby, I'm leaving you for something better!

Yes, It's good to have you back.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

That's why I live  year round in south Florida, not very far from Palm city, been there a few times, think there is an outdoor range we've gone to up there, can't recall name, on a bad day it's 75-80 here, my friends up north don't even talk to me during the winter months, they seem to come outa hibernation around this time of the year to say hello again, imho it's a crap shoot traveling with a handgun on airlines, they will mess up a free lunch, get all the paper work right , go to the check in counter to declare it and your still at their mercy, and the TSA that's another horror show,  lost my drivers license last trip and you couldn't believe what went thru to board the aircraft, that's another long story,  Wifey thank the lord for her!! Remembered she had my passport with her, otherwise I'd probably still be in chains,  I cringe thinking about my travels between here and Portland Oregon transporting firearms and fly rods, flip of the coin whether it got there in one piece, one piece hell, whether it got there at all, an exercise in futility, don't know who is worse USPS or the Airlines made sure I always stood there and  watched when the case was opened for inspection ...I'm going back for awhile in June will not take much this trip so I'll be able to sit back and relax ...glad your voyage was uneventful and you accomplished all you wanted to ..sorry made my post looked like a rant about airlines and USPS, peace and safe uneventful travels ....

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Mrs.Cicero said:

I hated American Airlines too.  The only one I used to love was Continental and Delta ate it up, and well, beating up Asian doctors in the sky, and it is our moto and it shows now.  American Airlines has always been a delay disaster, and frighteningly enough due to mechanical problems.  I was stranded in Bolivia for awhile because they broke their landing gear.  Fortunately, I can speak Spanish to get around well.  No one, not even the airlines counter speaks English in that country.  We were on the floor for awhile, then eventually we were shuttled to an airport at a lower elevation. I had to translate for the guy I was with.  That got tedious on no sleep.  One poor woman slept in the closed cafeteria, and wondered out when we got shuttled back to the airport.  She looked confused, frightened and happy to see people who could speak English.  Which made me wonder, why be a tourist in a country and go to a place where the only language spoken by anyone is the one you don't?  I wish she had told me.  Because, I already had one guy to watch over who couldn't communicate, I would have helped her as well. 

The sun finally came out yesterday, so I went with my wife and son to the range so they could shoot their .45's.  They wanted a re-education on the 1911.  I think since my son chose the WWII Special edition from Springfield, hollow points weren't his friend.  I tried shooting it a lot, and he got a good lesson on clearing jams.  Despite the WWII style sights I don't care for, but he was enamored with it.  I was happy I could tear up the bull with it, when he wanted me to check it out.  The bad part is despite my transitional lenses, I feel like I have a sunburn on my eyes, which is probably not good after eye surgery.  It did open me up to being able to tear up the bull with itty bitty sights which was encouraging. 

I don't blame you.  I like HK's too.  However, I like the older model's with the external hammers and stainless slides.  My wife decided hers was to fat a grip for her liking for concealment.  So, she prefers the Colt Defender, I had customized just for her, as she is a southpaw.  It got an ambidextrous safety.  She liked the red dot safety on my FNX-Tactical .45, so one was drilled in and dura-coated in.  A straight 8 sight was put in for ease of shooting, and green laser grips.  I went over the way I carry my magazines so you can index with your finger and still be in your "working area" watching the threat.  Or, if as one my deceased SSA's friends used to say, "It is darker than a whore's heart," you can feel the tip of the bullet in the magazine and still insert it. 

I have a crazy amount of work to do to get the range set up not this Sunday but the next.  Then there is the laborious issue of getting everyone on the same page, and have them be safe.  I am teaching some guys who have never touched a firearm, to people who will be bored as hell until we get to the interesting parts.  Once everyone is on the same page, moving safely, shooting accurately, then the fun parts of combat shooting can be taught.  I predict a good month or more before that happens.  I will probably have some guys/gals pulling out their hair as I hold the hand of the first time shooters.  (Metaphorically).  But, without safety, there is no point.

Long story short, I am glad you enjoyed your course.  I was thinking of sending my wife to one, as she will be one of the people pulling out her hair.  But, now, that we're setting up a private range, the possibilities are endless for teaching.  That seems like all I do lately with my little family.  I bounce between person to person answering questions, watching one kid shoot, then going to the next.  If my wife has a question on whatever weapon platform, I'll go that way.  What shooting I get to do, is with one of their firearms if they need/want something demonstrated.  My daughter 13, is always a bit hesitant.  If daddy shoots it and it okay, then it is okay for me, is how she thinks.  She wants me to be right behind her eating hot brass (nothing new), to make sure I am there.  She is a daddy's girl.  When she was little, if she got hurt, the heck with mommy, she wanted to be picked up by daddy, and psychologically it was no more pain.

I am really glad you got to do some competition shooting.  The weather must have been driving you crazy this year.

• Like 2

22 hours ago, Mrs.Cicero said:

it was in the 80s in Palm City.  I got sunburned.  Major dose of Vitamin D.  Even better was my daughter texting me pics of all the snow they got in Cleveland where I left her visiting her grandparents.  I laughed.!

I was in Cleveland for that snow, thank you very much ?

it didn’t last.

glad you had fun and hopefully learned something 

• Haha 1

On ‎3‎/‎28‎/‎2019 at 4:43 PM, Dric902 said:

Most training schools will let you mail your pistol and equip beforehand

That's the way to go. Other than flying to Arizona instead of FLA. There is also an excellent school in Saratoga Springs Utah taught by a former Gunsite instructor who was a trainer for LAPD SWAT and was in several shootouts when with the LAPD. I trained with him back in the 1990's He's in his seventies now but still going strong.

http://www.marksmanshipmatters.com/

Edited by Borg warner