Old Pictures

Eric

4 hours ago, janice6 said:

Grizzly makes a good home workshop metal lathe too for a reasonable price.

I spent my Model Shop days using an old LeBlond.  I don't recall anymore whether it was a 10" or 12", but it was great fun.   I used it primarily for constructing mmwave and microwave elements for research work.  I did all my own metal work.  I loved working with that old lathe.  The Bridgeport mill was also a great tool to use.

I worked a temp job at the Carnegie Mellon robotics department.

I never got to touch it, (the most I ever contributed was bringing them the metal they asked for) but the five, or so, guys that were running their project had their own personal CNC.

Someone would come up with an idea on a whim,  someone would make a program in 30 minutes,  and they had their thing an hour later.

And they'd test their thing.  And break it.  And then they'd tell the program-guy to make it half the weight and twice as strong.  An hour later,  they'd have their thing.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Huaco Kid said:

I worked a temp job at the Carnegie Mellon robotics department.

I never got to touch it, (the most I ever contributed was bringing them the metal they asked for) but the five, or so, guys that were running their project had their own personal CNC.

Someone would come up with an idea on a whim,  someone would make a program in 30 minutes,  and they had their thing an hour later.

And they'd test their thing.  And break it.  And then they'd tell the program-guy to make it half the weight and twice as strong.  An hour later,  they'd have their thing.

I was before most CNC so I have no experience with them, other to see that they can do amazing things.  My son has the talent in that area.  His personal favorite thing to do is writing drivers for stuff.

I found a new (little used) 3D printer at the Pawn Shop that is interesting. However, I'm not sure that I want to spend the time tolearn that skill. 

I was disappointed that my son didn't buy it for his 14 year old daughter though.  She has skill with a Plasma Cutter, and TIG welding, she sells her hand made art stuff as a small business, so I thought it would be a shoe in for her, but it was not to be.

Oh, she is building an Electric violin for herself, she plays a conventional one, but thinks an Electric would be more fun, so she's coming over to slice a slab of Walnut to thickness on my bandsaw, and then cut the profile out.  Her dad is an Electrical Engineer and a Software Engineer.  He is presently working in software while a director for his company, so he can work with her on the digital signal processing side.

• Like 3

20 hours ago, janice6 said:

I was before most CNC so I have no experience with them, other to see that they can do amazing things.  My son has the talent in that area.  His personal favorite thing to do is writing drivers for stuff.

I found a new (little used) 3D printer at the Pawn Shop that is interesting. However, I'm not sure that I want to spend the time tolearn that skill. 

I was disappointed that my son didn't buy it for his 14 year old daughter though.  She has skill with a Plasma Cutter, and TIG welding, she sells her hand made art stuff as a small business, so I thought it would be a shoe in for her, but it was not to be.

Oh, she is building an Electric violin for herself, she plays a conventional one, but thinks an Electric would be more fun, so she's coming over to slice a slab of Walnut to thickness on my bandsaw, and then cut the profile out.  Her dad is an Electrical Engineer and a Software Engineer.  He is presently working in software while a director for his company, so he can work with her on the digital signal processing side.

Electric violin's are awesome.  Got the opportunity to watch several professionals make theirs do magic.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, pipedreams said:

Electric violin's are awesome.  Got the opportunity to watch several professionals make theirs do magic.

I said before that I sing a song when my dog pees.  It amuses us both.  I told her the Irish folk song I sing to the dog, and she played it on the violin.  The dog peed in their kitchen when he heard the tune.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, pipedreams said:

This is my favorite Electric Violin artist.  Caitllin DeVille.  She's in Zambia.

BlackJackShoot-Cape-Town.jpg?w=1840&ssl=

https://www.lusakatimes.com/2017/10/09/girl-with-the-violin-caitlin-deville-steals-the-show-at-stanbic-music-festival/

Edited by janice6
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, pipedreams said:

Amertorp Torpedo Ordnance Corporation in Forest Park, Illinois.

Mrs. Lenore Radway, left, and Miss Sherley Becker polish a torpedo flask in 1943 at the Amertorp Torpedo Ordnance Corporation in Forest Park, Illinois. As many as 6,500 workers churned out hundreds of torpedoes per month, a long-forgotten but crucial part of the war effort.

Fellow in the office next to mine spent many years at Honeywell research working on and developing advanced torpedo's.  We used to chat about the problems he encountered in development models and how they fixed them.  Interesting area of weaponry.

My son worked on the software for new development smart land mines at ATK also.

Edited by janice6
  • Like 2

15 hours ago, pipedreams said:

Amertorp Torpedo Ordnance Corporation in Forest Park, Illinois.

Mrs. Lenore Radway, left, and Miss Sherley Becker polish a torpedo flask in 1943 at the Amertorp Torpedo Ordnance Corporation in Forest Park, Illinois. As many as 6,500 workers churned out hundreds of torpedoes per month, a long-forgotten but crucial part of the war effort.

What are those ladies doing? Sanding the skin of those fish to make them slide through the water faster? I wouldn't think it would be surface prep for some kind of paint, etc. since they already have fins bolted on.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, gwalchmai said:

What are those ladies doing? Sanding the skin of those fish to make them slide through the water faster? I wouldn't think it would be surface prep for some kind of paint, etc. since they already have fins bolted on.

Best I can do.

"Mrs. Lenore Radway, left, and Miss Sherley Becker polish a torpedo flask in 1943 at the Amertorp Torpedo Ordnance Corporation in Forest Park, Illinois. As many as 6,500 workers churned out hundreds of torpedoes per month, a long-forgotten but crucial part of the war effort. — Chicago Tribune historical photo"

• Thanks 1