Art Deco

DrB

8 hours ago, DAKA said:

Beautiful woodwork, but it will sound much better with modern electronics inside

Many times the old radios "insides" were also a work of art.  Some I've seen used square tinned Copper with running parallel and perpendicular.  The insides were a testament to the skill of the electronics workers as much as the outsides were a testament to the skill of the "packager".

• Like 5

• 2 months later...

Decided to try getting this restored to operating condition. Guy I’ve been corresponding with said he is booked into December. If I take the electricals from the wood case and send photos from above and below he can give me an estimate and a place in the line. Trying to be very careful in the removal process to avoid damage. Has AM, police, and short wave bands. Doubt the police band has any current activity  

IMG_5862.jpeg

Edited by railfancwb
Get only picture I wanted in the message and add more explanation text
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

• Administrators
On 11/24/2023 at 5:01 PM, janice6 said:

Many times the old radios "insides" were also a work of art.  Some I've seen used square tinned Copper with running parallel and perpendicular.  The insides were a testament to the skill of the electronics workers as much as the outsides were a testament to the skill of the "packager".

It is amazing what they could do with Bakelite plastic back then. The Bakelite inlays look better than the wood. Yeah, it would sound better with modern guts.

• Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, Eric said:

It is amazing what they could do with Bakelite plastic back then. The Bakelite inlays look better than the wood. Yeah, it would sound better with modern guts.

The boxes were an art form.  beautiful to see.  It was pure magic to listen to.  One guy asked me what we would do while listening to the radio.  Oddly enough, we would watch the radio, lost in our own private thoughts.

• Like 5

• Administrators
49 minutes ago, janice6 said:

The boxes were an art form.  beautiful to see.  It was pure magic to listen to.  One guy asked me what we would do while listening to the radio.  Oddly enough, we would watch the radio, lost in our own private thoughts.

The funny thing is, I listen to the TV today, mostly without looking up at it, while I work on my computer.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

12 hours ago, Eric said:

The funny thing is, I listen to the TV today, mostly without looking up at it, while I work on my computer.

Late wife and I made interesting contrast about reading and listening/watching. On TV she could read during commercials and watch program. I was opposite. Music, especially recorded, helped me read. It distracted her from reading. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
1 hour ago, pipedreams said:

Art Nouveau cabinet-vitrine from 1899 by Belgian designer Gustave Serrurier-Bovy (1858–1910).

7dd4f4b187ed9c6d.png.f748160f43a9a993b9a8840f0e060aee.png

Those two pieces with the thin crossgrain would scare the hell out of me.  Look at them crossways and they snap off.

• Like 1

On 11/24/2023 at 6:52 AM, DAKA said:

Beautiful woodwork, but it will sound much better with modern electronics inside

I did that with a Grundig Cabinet similar to this one. Sounded good but not as good as I expected. Just couldn’t get the sound out of the cabinet efficiently. 

IMG_5213.jpeg

• Like 3